PDA

View Full Version : shift delay

angel318ti
04-19-2006, 12:58 AM
I'm having a major problem wtih my transmission. Whenever I shift into any gear, it takes a long time to actually engage into the gear. When I say a long time I mean 2 to 5 minutes. I checked the fluid and it seems to be good. I dropped my tranny to replace my flex palte and since then it hasn't shifted right. I'm looking for any advice or suggestions because right now I'm pulling my hair out.

angel318ti
04-19-2006, 07:19 AM
*bump*

GDB
04-19-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm guessing it's an auto. You might check your tranny filter.

angel318ti
04-19-2006, 08:21 AM
will the filter really cause it to act like that. I just want to find out as much as I can before I take the tranny down again

campaiar
04-19-2006, 02:20 PM
A dirty filter could be the problem.

Another possibility is an incorrect fluid level. Too much or too little ATF can make a trans do really strange things.

angel318ti
04-19-2006, 04:05 PM
like I said, the fluid seems to be fine. I think the problem is internally because it also vibrates a a lot. I asked around and they told me that the torque converter could have damaged the pump. does that sound right?

Blue318ti
04-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Do a complete oil flush, change your filter and you might just save yourself a lot of money. Drain and flush all the fluid and make sure you put in the right tranny oil. good luck!

andyman7931
04-19-2006, 05:16 PM
it's good if you include all the background info you can so people give you accurate advice http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9590

campaiar
04-19-2006, 06:18 PM
like I said, the fluid seems to be fine. I think the problem is internally because it also vibrates a a lot. I asked around and they told me that the torque converter could have damaged the pump. does that sound right?

Thats entirely possible. There are alot of things that could have happened to the internal workings. If the fluid level is correct (sorry I missed that before), I'd try the filter change next. There is a good chance that it won't help.

BmWwHiPPin
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
what does it mean when people put "bump" in there posts?!

campaiar
04-19-2006, 06:23 PM
what does it mean when people put "bump" in there posts?!

It puts the post back at the top of the "Recent Posts" list.

GDB
04-19-2006, 10:44 PM
I really think it's the filter. Since you just changed the fluid then you really only need to replace what you lose from changing the filter. I don't know how much fluid that is, but it shouldn't be more than 3 quarts.

angel318ti
04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
It seems to me that there is something other than the filter going on because there is a lot of vibration. maybe the filter is responsible for the delayed shifting but what about the vibration. I don't think the filter will cause that.

campaiar
04-20-2006, 02:30 PM
A vibration definitely is no good. I'd go ahead with the filter change since it's cheap and doesn't take too long to do. If it doesn't help you should inspect the drive shaft. One of the Guibos or the center bearing might be worn causing your vibration. (course all this started when you changed the trans fluid, so its probably a trans issue)

In a worse case scenario, I have an automatic trans I don't need lying around. :rolleyes:

angel318ti
04-21-2006, 07:22 AM
I never changed the fluid. it stared when I replaced the motor. from there it never worked right. I have the filter now, hell I had the filter for about 3 months now but I was always too lazy to change it. What if the lines that go to the oil cooler were hooked up backwards? Is it even possible to hook those up connect those incorrectly? Like I said I want to make sure I do my troubleshoooting before I take the whole tranny down again because in the last 3 months I dropped the motor 3 times and the transmission twice. I really, really, really don't want to do it again.

angel318ti
04-21-2006, 07:23 AM
A vibration definitely is no good. I'd go ahead with the filter change since it's cheap and doesn't take too long to do. If it doesn't help you should inspect the drive shaft. One of the Guibos or the center bearing might be worn causing your vibration. (course all this started when you changed the trans fluid, so its probably a trans issue)

In a worse case scenario, I have an automatic trans I don't need lying around. :rolleyes:

How much you want for that transmission?

angel318ti
04-22-2006, 07:05 AM
today I found out why so much vibration coming from the tranny. come to find out that when I installed a new flex plate when I shatered my old one I installed it between the flywheel and the torque converter. I researched it and found that it's supposed to be in this order...... flex plate> flywheel> torque converter. So I will have to droop the transmission once again and fix what I messed up on.

andyman7931
04-24-2006, 03:47 PM
today I found out why so much vibration coming from the tranny. come to find out that when I installed a new flex plate when I shatered my old one I installed it between the flywheel and the torque converter. I researched it and found that it's supposed to be in this order...... flex plate> flywheel> torque converter. So I will have to droop the transmission once again and fix what I messed up on.

did you try that yet? I hope not, realoem says that it should be engine-flywheel-spacer-flex plate-torque converter.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG63&mospid=47505&btnr=11_1152&hg=11&fg=20

J!m
04-24-2006, 05:38 PM
That makes more sense to me too, but I have not worked with the BMW automatics so I did not want to chime in out of turn.

andyman7931
04-24-2006, 05:39 PM
That makes more sense to me too, but I have not worked with the BMW automatics so I did not want to chime in out of turn.

This is how it works for all bmw autos I've worked with, but they were on e28 and e30's (3 of them so far) I'm guessing that technology hasn't changed from the 80's to 90's

campaiar
04-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Mmmm, guessing can be bad.

angel318ti
06-17-2006, 07:22 AM
+finally figured out what was wrong with the damn transmission! when I replaced the motor I got one from a manual. mine is a auto. the pilot bearing was still atched to the motor so the pilot bushing could not sit into place properly. this was forcing the torque converter back into the transmission thus making the car run like complete crap! just posting this so anyone out there swaping a motor doesn't run into the same problems that I ran into.

andyman7931
06-19-2006, 09:13 PM
did you do damage to the auto???

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?p=76021#post76021