PDA

View Full Version : WTB Individual Throttle body set-up

weezer
04-23-2006, 03:20 AM
Anyone here using an ITB System? Angel318ti seems to be using dbilas Dynamics (distributed by BMP here stateside). I really want to know performance differences; throttle response, acceleration, fuel economy, etc. I've tried contacting BMP many times, but everybody seems to busy to respond to a potential buyer. Their set-up seems to be geared for racing anways.
So, if anyone here uses it, I would appreciate some feedback on the system.
Thanks

DustenT
04-23-2006, 03:34 AM
Anyone here using an ITB System? Angel318ti seems to be using dbilas Dynamics (distributed by BMP here stateside). I really want to know performance differences; throttle response, acceleration, fuel economy, etc. I've tried contacting BMP many times, but everybody seems to busy to respond to a potential buyer. Their set-up seems to be geared for racing anways.
So, if anyone here uses it, I would appreciate some feedback on the system.
Thanks

Check out what the Honda guys are using. I think they borrow the ITBs from a CBR900RR Street Bike.

cali-ti
04-23-2006, 03:46 AM
i'm not aware that angel is actually using an ITB system. i think he just posted a pic to it in his gallery because he was interested in an ITB system. i could be wrong though ... angel?

AlaskaBlue
04-23-2006, 04:31 AM
you can find throttle bodies at BMPdesign.com, but seam is also marketing a ITB system that sounds really promising.

318ti_Portugal
04-23-2006, 12:46 PM
ITB's are great on NA cars to deliver instant throttle response. I believe the increase in horsepower is not that great without further modifications, like cams, software, injectors...
Dbilas offers several performance kits for the TI, at the form of various power stages. A great option the dbilas, at least in the paper, since I never saw a ti running a dbilas kit... Very expensive also...

weezer
04-23-2006, 01:38 PM
BMP sells them for $1795 for a complete bolt-on kit, but I think theirs is a racing only kit; I could be mistaken. They get their straight from [I]dbilas[I] dynamic as i have already contacted them about it. However, the set-up that angel has in his gallery seems to be smaller and the picture caption says M40,M43. I'm wondering if that particular set-up is using an M43 intake runner?
I would be curious to know:
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1800&cat=500&ppuser=1387

weezer
04-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Check out what the Honda guys are using. I think they borrow the ITBs from a CBR900RR Street Bike.

Yes!!! I looke at an RSX using a set-up from a Suzuki street Bike, looks awesome.

318ti_Portugal
04-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Can bike tb's be fitted to the M42/44?

318ti_Portugal
04-23-2006, 02:48 PM
And can you please post pictures of those suzuki ITBs installed? I'm really curious... :)

DustenT
04-23-2006, 04:13 PM
And can you please post pictures of those suzuki ITBs installed? I'm really curious... :)

Just do a search for it, there are lots of them out there. Try Honda-Tech.com.

Yes, bike ITBs will work on a Ti, but you'd need to do some research to find what kind of flow you need/want and find the right diameter. You should be able to copy a Honda 1.8 L setup. You'll need custom programming ($$$$$$$$).

318ti_Portugal
04-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Just do a search for it, there are lots of them out there. Try Honda-Tech.com.

Yes, bike ITBs will work on a Ti, but you'd need to do some research to find what kind of flow you need/want and find the right diameter. You should be able to copy a Honda 1.8 L setup. You'll need custom programming ($$$$$$$$).

I'm going to do a search.
Any idea on how much a bike ITB setup for the ti would cost?
Cheaper than the dbilas setup (1500 euros)?

As for software. here in Portugal there is a company wich does custom chips for 500 euros. The chip have very ggod feedback.

http://www.vilauto.com/

They should be able to do a chip for the itb setup, right?

318ti_Portugal
04-23-2006, 04:32 PM
It would be a setup like this?
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5843/16ja2.jpg

318ti_Portugal
04-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Here's some pics of the dbilas setup for the M50 engine:

http://filin-motorsport.com/photos/dbilas/db01.jpg

http://www.eurocarmotorsport.com/Image/p06.jpg

GDB
04-23-2006, 07:30 PM
If you call BMP ask for Chris. I've dealt with him alot (since I live in the same town as BMP) he knows his stuff, and he used to own a ti. What more can you ask for.

bmwhartgeM3
04-23-2006, 10:40 PM
havent i heard on this forum that u can use the TB's from the bmw street bike, the k1200 or something like that. my girlfriends dad has a beamer bike and the intake mani and head look almost identical. i forget which bike he has tho.

Tyler
04-23-2006, 10:46 PM
havent i heard on this forum that u can use the TB's from the bmw street bike, the k1200 or something like that. my girlfriends dad has a beamer bike and the intake mani and head look almost identical. i forget which bike he has tho.

Haven't heard that before but the would be interesting if it actually did fit/work.

GDB
04-23-2006, 10:53 PM

A guy was going to try it, but he ended up selling his ti before it happened

318ti_Portugal
04-24-2006, 01:00 AM
For how much can some bike ITBs be bought?

DustenT
04-24-2006, 01:10 AM
Small write up off my forum. One of my friends in planning on running 929rr ITBs on his ZC Honda motor. This should give you an idea of what's involved with a project like this. It's probably not worth all the work, because the gains would be minimal. BMW put lots of time into the dual stage intake section on the m42/m44, I doubt a hacked motorcycles setup is going to out perform what BMW spent 100's of hours designing. Just my opinion.

I've been doing some research on the cbr929rr itbs for the ZC. It turns out there is a better setup for tuning Honda's with itbs then Megasquirt. Crome with some Turboedit software seems to be the best way to go. The only drawback witht the ECU system I have now, will be to convert to OBD-1 (dizzy,ECU, ex…) so that tuning off the TPS can be possible while bypassing the MAP signals all together. OBD-0 is possible, but not worth all the dicking around with the low vacuum at idle speed, plus a lot of guys will run a vacuum chamber to help even out the vacuum pulses sent to the MAP sensor.
I know for a fact that Crome has a few itbs software programs and they might be able to make one just for the cbr929rr itbs with OBD-1 setup. For now I’m just going to rock the stock manifold and brake the car in and hopefully upgrade to this setup in the future. I don’t have time to dick with such an upgrade if I want to get my car done by this summer. Very Happy

Here is a picture of a guys setup from Europe with the cbr929rr's on a ZC running the same c/r I will be,
I would do the same things minus the steel runners and flange.

http://www2.arnes.si/~mjereb2/mini-IMG_3132.JPG

mss318ti
04-24-2006, 02:11 AM
I was contacted by a member wanting to know more about what we are working on for the M42/M44 engine in terms of naturally aspirated modifications so here goes. Our system cant really be described as just a multithrottle intake system because we are also including a completely new engine control unit as well. Also a couple of other things set our system apart. First we are not running a MAF or AFM with our system air/fuel ratio is being handled through a MAP/ALPHA N setup. This allows us to open up the air intake all the way to the plenum and also to install our filtering element which is the size of the plenum in cross section actually inside of the plenum. This means the only real restriction that we have is the throttle bodies themselves. So we clean up the intake system up to the head and we allow complete control over the air/fuel ratio through the ECU swap. Head work is going to have to be done to achieve the full benefits of any system and we are playing with offering this as maybe a package of some sort that matches cams with different horns etc. Finally we are working out the different RPM ranges that would be beneficial to offer different power band locations by simply allowing the user the ability to quickly and easily change the air horn length and to an extent the width through different sets of horns. Currently we are head (no pun intended) long into the supercharger systems and trying to get them ready for release so this project isnt getting as much attention but even so we are hoping for release sometime towards the end of the summer. Price is going to be around the $2500 range for the carbon fiber intake plenum with throttle bodies, 2 sets of air horns, ECU, needed sensors, air filter (This is a panel element, we are currently looking at the benefits (restriction, filtration, and care) of different companies ie K&N, AFE, and a basic large paper element), intake ducting, and the high flow air intake (this is not a filter area just a portion of the car that we box in to draw air in at.). If you guys have any questions about what we are working on please feel free to ask and I will do my best to reply!

Greg Scrivner
SEAM
OEM & Performance BMW Parts

marcus2116
04-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Greg where are you guys located. I was also wondering if you have the adapters for the injecter on the m42. I cant seem to get a hold of anyone that sells them.

weezer
04-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I may or may not be the one who Greg was speaking of. I contacted him a couple of months ago regarding this ITB set-up. I am up for being the Guinea pig for this system, as I am not up for forced induction (Supercharge or Turbocharged). I am very old school when it comes to engine mods, I had Merkur XR4ti........I know turbo/sc systems have gone a long way since then, I am still skeptical of forcing air into my engine, I prefer maximizing the engine's ability to suck air, increase combustion efficiency, perhaps slightly increase the compression. Hopefully Greg and his SEAM team will come through for my M44.

Viper3812
04-24-2006, 11:34 PM
I may or may not be the one who Greg was speaking of.
I think I was the other person unless there is someone else. I'm going along the same way as you are weezer for building up NA on my m42.

mss318ti
04-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Marcus2116,

I apologize for not knowing and its after hours so I cant ask one of the guys, but what adapters are you speaking of and I will look into it. By the way we are located in Colorado. Weezer is the member who sent the email but yes I had talked to Viper3812 as well earlier last week. We are going to do the multithrottle system but the big issue that we are working on is getting the ECU to work how we want it (being refined but still providing the power we want). So again the Multithrottle intake system is still in development, but I think I can make a few changes and I might be able to release the mechanical pictures a little later in the year because it will give you an idea of what we are working on without giving away the important aspects of how the system works (the fuel management). If you guys have questions please feel free to ask I would be happy to discuss this with you!

Greg Scrivner
SEAM
OEM & Performance BMW Parts