PDA

View Full Version : brake pad light

bobvilas
04-23-2006, 05:36 AM
i just pulled all the wheels and checked for the pad sensors. I found one on the front and one on the rear. Someone had cut the wires and tied them together. The pads are fine and rotors look good. Why do I still have the light in the dash? I searched the threads and somebody said to turn the ignition on for 40 seconds and it would go out. No such luck! Help please.

Also, does anyone use the R5 FCX code scanner. Can it reset the ABS light and the ASC light?

1996 328ti
04-23-2006, 01:00 PM
First, it is brake, not break. I fixed the title.
Also moved it to the brakes section.

I do not believe you can just short out the wires.
You need to replace the sensor.
If you already replaced the sensor it will go off soon.

To reset the ABS or ASC light you need a special tool.
The FCX tool will not do it.

bobvilas
06-03-2006, 08:35 AM
I replaced the front and rear sensors (where the old owner cut the sensors) but I'm still getting a pad light in the dash. Do I need to reset something or what?

mphmotorwerks
06-03-2006, 09:42 AM
How far down do your sensors wear before the light comes on?? I just did a monthly check of my car and found that my rear sensor is ground down a bit, enough to show the metal core but no lights have been thrown on the dash.

bobvilas
06-03-2006, 07:15 PM
My light was on when I bought the car. I checked the sensors and someone had cut them and put a cap on the ends. I got new sensors and installed them last week but the light is still on.

m3outtanowhere
06-11-2006, 07:28 PM
try disconnecting the battery. it will reset your computer and any codes it might have stored.

bobvilas
06-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I unplugged the battery for about ten minutes, hooked it back up but the light is still on. What's the best code reader for a DIY guy? I don't have a dealer on island and I'd like to see what comes up for codes.

1996 328ti
06-11-2006, 10:36 PM
The regular cheapo scan tools (peake) won't work with the brake system.

robcarync
06-12-2006, 12:23 AM
when i accidentally cut my break sensor wire replacing my suspension, i just replaced the sensor, and it went out immediately...

m3outtanowhere
06-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Some vehicles came with a code reader built in. try this: turn off car, take out key, put it back in and turn forward, within 5 seconds of putting the key forward-depress gas pedal down 5 times in 5 seconds. if your check engine light blinks and comes on its working. count the number of blinks per interval, and look up code in manual.
if not replace the sensor.

L84THSKY
06-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Same thing happened to me. I need to replace my sensor.

when i accidentally cut my break sensor wire replacing my suspension, i just replaced the sensor, and it went out immediately...