PDA

View Full Version : fifth-gear difficulty

twostep
04-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Hello,

I'm a new member here and couldn't find a previous thread regarding this problem:

I recently picked up a used '96 318ti with manual transmission (engine and car seem well-cared for). No problems on the test drive on the highway and plenty of play left in the clutch. However, sometimes (especially when going for the first drive of the day) the car will not go into fifth gear. The shifter just gets kicked back out into neutral -- sometimes there is a slight grinding, sometimes it is silent. And then later, when I can get it into fifth, the action of shifting lacks that wonderful and solid feeling that the other four gears give -- feels like its floating, hasn't clicked into place and I worry if it will slip out of gear again.

My hope is this problem is due to worn detent balls and springs, and that a new transmission is not needed. However, this is just a guess.

Could anyone shine a bit of light on the issue, and perhaps offer a cost estimate to fix it? Thanks -- I love this car.

campaiar
04-25-2006, 02:43 PM
There is a know problem with the manuals kicking out of first and second (worn selection fork I think), but I haven't heard of a 5th gear issue.

J!m
04-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Change the transmission oil with a synthetic equivalent.

Also a good idea would be to change it a second time after a week or so of driving to 'flush' the old oil out.

Another thing to do is to change the plastic shifter bearing and the plastic washers on the shift linkage. This makes a WORLD of improvement to shifter feel, and will make engagement more accurate. (also quite cheap for the DIY'er)