PDA

View Full Version : When you repaint the Wheels do you use pr

318ti
04-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks for reading...
I have a set of Style 44 rims that came with the car. It would appear the previous owner should have invested in curb feelers vs these 17" rims.
There is a serious case of curb rash on some of these. Before I put on new rubber this year I am going to repaint them with "Wurth German Alloy Silver Wheel Lacquer" and Clearcoat.

I have some questions to those that have done this:

What is a descent brand of bondo for this application?
I never see any mention of primer... but since I am refinishing the entire
wheel, I think a primer should be used, any suggestions???
Does anyone know where to purchase Wurth products in Canada? Wurth gave me a distributors name and his quote was $35 a can.. after the paint and clear coat, primer and bondo I could have a professional do it at that price.

Thanks for your suggestions.

J!m
04-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Since the price is the same, I'd just have a pro do it.

That same pro can weld repair and turn the lips (the 'right' way to repair curb rash), strip all the old paint, etch prime (the 'right' primer for bare aluminum), apply the factory shade of silver (but the Wurth color is good, and if you do all four it will be fine), and then clear them.

If you re-paint them without stripping all the old paint off, the lettering in the center starts to look, well, like there is a ton of paint on it.

Personally, I would blast strip them, weld (or if it is really shallow fill with epoxy) the rash, blend them in by hand, etch prime, paint and clear them.

I'd probably spring for new center caps too, just to make them look that much better...

318ti
04-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Thank You J!m

Just the type of answer I was looking for.
You confirmed everything I thought needed to be done,
and a bunch more

Many Thanks
P

jonchino
04-28-2006, 03:04 AM
polish them! :biggrin:

318ti
05-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Can't polish them... The anodizing id flaking of.
Previous owner used rims as curb feelers :mad:

So I am going to have them sandblasted - fix rash - paint and 4 coats of clear

P