PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile question.

Tyler
04-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Ok i have a question regarding the 1/4 track. Is it better to have wider tires on the car or narrow? Anyone have a clue on this?

GDB
04-28-2006, 06:58 PM
wide on the drive wheels, narrow on the others

But you don't want to go any wider than you need to get traction.

Taller, squishier sidewalls also help.

Tyler
04-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Hmm i heard the complete opposite on another site.
I'm hearing wider on the rear gives you a better launch and you have more traction and you want smaller tires up front. My friend wanted me to post this cause we are heading up the the track in NH shortly.

DustenT
04-28-2006, 07:26 PM
wide on the drive wheels, narrow on the back.

This would be true for a FWD car.

If you don't have a problem with traction, it's pointless to run larger wheels in the rear. I have 225 in the rear and never have a problem with traction. I can launch at 3500rpms and hook up.

Invest in better tires, not wider rims.

Tyler
04-28-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm not taking my car, i'm going with my friend who has an o1 gt,i'll list his mods since i'm bored at the moment. Off road X pipe no cats,magnaflow magnapacks cat back,fuel injected cai,underdrive pulleys,70mm throttle body,bigger intake elbow and the rims which are 17x10.5r and 17x9.5f. gt stock was 285hp and i'm guessing with the mods it's 365hp. Also a friends taking his sisters new wrx sti which has about 700-750hp,which i haven't seen yet. I'm taking my camera so hopefully i can post a couple pics over the weekend.

DustenT
04-28-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm not taking my car, i'm going with my friend who has an o1 gt,i'll list his mods since i'm bored at the moment. Off road X pipe no cats,magnaflow magnapacks cat back,fuel injected cai,underdrive pulleys,70mm throttle body,bigger intake elbow and the rims which are 17x10.5r and 17x9.5f. gt stock was 285hp and i'm guessing with the mods it's 365hp. Also a friends taking his sisters new wrx sti which has about 700-750hp,which i haven't seen yet. I'm taking my camera so hopefully i can post a couple pics over the weekend.

I'm guessing if your friends have 365hp and 700hp cars they know what size tires they should be running.

Tyler
04-28-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing if your friends have 365hp and 700hp cars they know what size tires they should be running.

You do have a point there but i can speak for my friend with his gt this will be his second time ever taking his car on the track,1st time hid did just with the cat back exhaust so he's done some good modding since then. The kid with the sti thinks he knows everything about cars but he doesn't. Anyway whatever i'm off to the track.

DustenT
04-28-2006, 07:56 PM
You do have a point there but i can speak for my friend with his gt this will be his second time ever taking his car on the track,1st time hid did just with the cat back exhaust so he's done some good modding since then. The kid with the sti thinks he knows everything about cars but he doesn't. Anyway whatever i'm off to the track.

Video of 700hp STi or BAN!

Edit: I'll host the video for you.

shaggy318ti
04-28-2006, 08:16 PM
700 hp out of an STI? sounds impressive, especially that is only a turbo four cyl. Not saying it isnt true, but it would definiately be cool to see some pictures or a video of it!

DustenT
04-28-2006, 08:24 PM
700 hp out of an STI? sounds impressive, especially that is only a turbo four cyl. Not saying it isnt true, but it would definiately be cool to see some pictures or a video of it!

I think 700hp would involve using the new version 9 motor ($15k alone) running a huge turbo, a ton of imported ProDrive parts and probably Nitrous.

500hp is easy, it's that extra couple 100 hp that gets REALLY pricey. Proof of 700hp please!

S10mafia50
04-28-2006, 09:55 PM
If you don't have a problem with traction, it's pointless to run larger wheels in the rear. I have 225 in the rear and never have a problem with traction. I can launch at 3500rpms and hook up.

What kind of tire do you run, AlaskaBlue has prolly the biggest pain in the A$$ time launching at the track....lol.
Andrew

AlaskaBlue
04-28-2006, 10:47 PM
That is probably true. My best run was a 15.9 with massive wheel spin in first and part of second. This was with a set of 215 toyos and set of 215 pirellis.

Part of it may be cause by the stiff suspension, bad track prep, bad driving, low weight, a lot of neg camber and the flywheel just made the problem worse. It seemed like no matter what I did or what rpms I would either bog really bad or just spin like crazy. This was with the slipping clutch technique. My traps were close to 90 mph. This is also at about 2500 feet elevation.

I'm going back with less camber and 235/40 st-615s or ZX212s to see if I can get into mid to low 15s. The car will also be about 100-150 pounds lighter than last time.

GDB
04-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Sorry, I had a typo in my first post. As for the stang, first he's not making anywhere near that much (I know people with much more with much more work done on Mod motors and they aren't pulling that much at the rear wheels). Second, tell him to get a set of hoosiers on some 15" wheels for the rear and call it a day.

DustenT
04-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Sorry, I had a typo in my first post. As for the stang, first he's not making anywhere near that much (I know people with much more with much more work done on Mod motors and they aren't pulling that much at the rear wheels). Second, tell him to get a set of hoosiers on some 15" wheels for the rear and call it a day.

Hoosiers will destroy a cars transmission. Some spin is necessary if your entire drivetrain isn't able to handle a solid launch.

Alaska - Get the Azenis 615s or the Kumho MXs. These are incredible. I only paid $80/each for the MXs from a guy on ebay, brand new.

HuGo
04-29-2006, 12:46 AM
i got federal tires, are they any good? i was gonna get toyo but i went with federal.

GDB
04-29-2006, 01:40 AM
i got federal tires, are they any good? i was gonna get toyo but i went with federal.

I've never used federal so I couldn't really tell you. I've always gone with BFG KDWs, got SO3s last time and didn't have the greatest of experiences with them so back to BFG it is for me.

DustenT
04-29-2006, 01:46 AM

Does it matter? You blew the motor in your car. I guess it doesn't really matter WHAT tires you have, does it?

Any luck finding a motor? Snuggz has one, but shipping from Wisconsin would be brutal.

cali-ti
04-29-2006, 02:08 AM
he could drive out to get it ... oh wait, nevermind ...

AlaskaBlue
04-29-2006, 03:04 AM
Hoosiers will destroy a cars transmission. Some spin is necessary if your entire drivetrain isn't able to handle a solid launch.

Alaska - Get the Azenis 615s or the Kumho MXs. These are incredible. I only paid $80/each for the MXs from a guy on ebay, brand new.

The plan is to get the 615s for auto-x if I can find any in stock I have heard GREAT things about them. I also have been looking at the MXs. That price for 80 apiece may sway me though!!

GDB
04-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Dusten, the reason to get a stickier tire is so you can get the same traction in a narrower width, decreasing drag just that much more. And he was asking about tires for a mustang, the T45 will hold up to those just fine at the power level he's at.

HuGo
04-29-2006, 11:47 AM
he could drive out to get it ... oh wait, nevermind ...

actually, i could drive out there with my dads F150 but i wont.

Dusten, how much is snuggs selling it for anyways?

But tommorow or sunday we are going to start pulling everything out. Then well see if we can bring it back, or if its gone for good. If its still good, we may be changing a buncha things and make it like new like if it were 0 miles.

DustenT
04-29-2006, 05:44 PM
actually, i could drive out there with my dads F150 but i wont.

Dusten, how much is snuggs selling it for anyways?

But tommorow or sunday we are going to start pulling everything out. Then well see if we can bring it back, or if its gone for good. If its still good, we may be changing a buncha things and make it like new like if it were 0 miles.

I think he wants $500, but probably like $1,000 for you.

Tyler
04-29-2006, 08:17 PM
The track was a pretty good time last night. Within a 30 minutes an old dodge duster crashed into the wall after his engine cracked on his 1st run. The oil got on his tires and made him swerve into the left lane cutting off a mustang then hit the wall.

As for the sti it wasn't 700hp,i was told a bogus number when i heard about it. It was dyno'd at 300hp to the wheels,, so whats that a 400hp car or something? Anyway i have a video of the gt vs sti on my digital camera but zoom did not reach the display monitors but will take picture of the slip.

Anayway i gotta go to a cook out then go to hot import nights tonight so i'll post some of my crappy pics tomorrow. Crappy cause it was cold and my lense kept fogging up.

HuGo
04-29-2006, 09:13 PM
I think he wants $500, but probably like $1,000 for you.

ask snuggs how much the compression test for each cyl. is and ill think about it.

Tyler
05-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Here are the few picutres that i have,most of them were blurred up so i deleted them. The white sti is one of the cars i went with and the red gt. We met up with another kid at a rest station on 128 and he had an 05 GTO which i'm not a big fan of but damn that thing is fast. On the way up another gto joined us in the ride and his car was all done up. I forget everything he had done but what i remember is he had headers,exhaust,nos and some other things. On the way up the kid in the stock gto killed an e46 m3. The m3 got next to him and cut him off so he floored it passed the m3 cut in front of him and threw his hazards on. Then the m3 pulled into the breakdown lane and took off.
My friend in his mustang couldn't get traction at the track. Just burning through the first 3 gears. All four of his runs were 14 seconds at 102-103mph. The sti was doing 13.2 at 104. It wasn't his car it was his sisters and she was getting all pissed off cause he couldn't get a better time. I was almost like shut the f up and you drive it down the track. My friend will be buying a set of mickey thompsons for the the next time. The snowmobiles were doing 9.4 seconds at 132mph which is nuts. The blue monte carlo was doing 8.4 seconds at 160mph,that car was nasty.

GDB
05-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Here are the few picutres that i have,most of them were blurred up so i deleted them. The white sti is one of the cars i went with and the red gt. We met up with another kid at a rest station on 128 and he had an 05 GTO which i'm not a big fan of but damn that thing is fast. On the way up another gto joined us in the ride and his car was all done up. I forget everything he had done but what i remember is he had headers,exhaust,nos and some other things. On the way up the kid in the stock gto killed an e46 m3. The m3 got next to him and cut him off so he floored it passed the m3 cut in front of him and threw his hazards on. Then the m3 pulled into the breakdown lane and took off.
My friend in his mustang couldn't get traction at the track. Just burning through the first 3 gears. All four of his runs were 14 seconds at 102-103mph. The sti was doing 13.2 at 104. It wasn't his car it was his sisters and she was getting all pissed off cause he couldn't get a better time. I was almost like shut the f up and you drive it down the track. My friend will be buying a set of mickey thompsons for the the next time. The snowmobiles were doing 9.4 seconds at 132mph which is nuts. The blue monte carlo was doing 8.4 seconds at 160mph,that car was nasty.

Looks like fun. What'd you run?

Tyler
05-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Looks like fun. What'd you run?

I didn't bring my car,it needs some tlc before taking it to the track.

GDB
05-02-2006, 11:47 PM
I didn't bring my car,it needs some tlc before taking it to the track.

aww, I'd complain but I'm in the same boat.