PDA

View Full Version : 318ti starts in 3rd gear! Need Help Please.

p1zl3
05-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey Motorheads,

--I need some help with my baby (the car, not the girl). It's an AT '97 318ti which I just drove across a few states (996 miles to be exact) so that I could attend college. The little beast did the whole drive straight OK and in record time, but the day after I arrived, I went to drive her to the store and noticed she was sluggish...very sluggish. So, being the complete "mechanical-moron" that I am, I couldn't find the problem by simply looking under the hood, and was forced then to limp her into my local european mechanic.
--This is what my mechanic had to say: "Well, we ran the diagnostics-computer on er' and your car's computer didn't return any codes, so we thing it's something that the car's computer doesn't monitor (duh). We did notice that your car isn't using it's first and second gears in the standard drive mode and that from a dead stop it begins in 3rd gear, which explains it's sluggish nature. The gears work fine though if you manually shift em', so we don't think it's the tranny. If I had to guess it's some traction controller somewhere's on the car, but it's gonna cost us $200 past the $100 you've already payed to have the diagnostics computer hooked-up, just to check er' out."
--SO! can anyone help me out? Is there a way to fix this from home? Is there a way to bypass the traction controller? Is it even the traction controller that's the problem? What can I do for as little money as posable (besides sell it)?

Thanx in advance!!!
dru

DustenT
05-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Hey Motorheads,

--I need some help with my baby (the car, not the girl). It's an AT '97 318ti which I just drove across a few states (996 miles to be exact) so that I could attend college. The little beast did the whole drive straight OK and in record time, but the day after I arrived, I went to drive her to the store and noticed she was sluggish...very sluggish. So, being the complete "mechanical-moron" that I am, I couldn't find the problem by simply looking under the hood, and was forced then to limp her into my local european mechanic.
--This is what my mechanic had to say: "Well, we ran the diagnostics-computer on er' and your car's computer didn't return any codes, so we thing it's something that the car's computer doesn't monitor (duh). We did notice that your car isn't using it's first and second gears in the standard drive mode and that from a dead stop it begins in 3rd gear, which explains it's sluggish nature. The gears work fine though if you manually shift em', so we don't think it's the tranny. If I had to guess it's some traction controller somewhere's on the car, but it's gonna cost us $200 past the $100 you've already payed to have the diagnostics computer hooked-up, just to check er' out."
--SO! can anyone help me out? Is there a way to fix this from home? Is there a way to bypass the traction controller? Is it even the traction controller that's the problem? What can I do for as little money as posable (besides sell it)?

Thanx in advance!!!
dru

Traction control operates on your intake manifold and controls engine rpms, not shifting, so it's not related to that.

Try disconnecting your battery for 15 minutes, then hooking it back up. That should clear the Transmission computer if it's having a problem.

There are a couple round plugs that connect to the transmission, they are located right under the shifter (under the car). Check to make sure all the plugs are hooked up.

e304life
05-09-2006, 01:12 AM
If the trans in starting in 3rd it is most likely in fail safe mode.

My gess is that they do not have a factory GT1 to connect to you car, and there aftermarket scan tool is not reading the faults out of the EGS(transmission computer).

If it is infact in fail safe a code should be stored in the EGS.

Tyler
05-09-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm not sure if i was reading this right but...

If you have your car in the M mode in 3rd gear your car is going to have poor acceleration. If you have the car in it's normal mode in 3rd gear thats where it's slow?