PDA

View Full Version : Do I have LS1 envy? Is it the best choice??

jkilla71
05-19-2006, 12:20 AM
I got the itch after reading about the LS1 conversions kit and always wanting a Corvette since I was a kid. I am intending to make the move to the American V8.

It never occurred to me that it would be possible to have what I think is the perfect car. The “X” factor for me is to find a quality mechanic in the FT. Lauderdale area to do the installation at a reasonable price and if it is really the best choice for the money.

I have the cash for the engine and transmission burning a hole in my pocket due to some lowlife stealing my 2003 F650 Dakar. I have to save a little more for the conversion kit and installation.

The stock M42/Auto hit 150k last month and still has no problem driving at over 120mph for an hour across alligator-alley but how much longer can the enjoyment last.

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask before I put together a shopping list:

1) Can anybody recommend a quality reasonably priced mechanic that’s service oriented and 100% English speaking in the Ft Lauderdale area?
I currently have a good service oriented mechanic but I am not comfortable with his BMW knowledge.

2) Should I be looking for a LS1 crate engine and T56 Trans or a wrecked SS Camaro?
I am leaning toward new but I think a low mileage engine all ready broken-in maybe ok.
3) Is the LS1 the best power plant option for the 318ti?:smile:
When I was a kid my old-man dropped a Chevy 350 in his (Pre Ford) Jag XJ-6 and it ran smoother and moved faster than any of the Jags he had ever owned before.