PDA

View Full Version : X5 engine in E36?

SlickmisterN
05-28-2006, 11:00 PM
I am searching information about this swap, Alpina produced a B8 with the 4.6l M60 engine, needless to say, it was a very powerful car.
I have found information about E30 340i swap but no information about M60 or possible an M62B44 in a E36.
I have worries about fitment of oilpan and such. I think a lot modification to the M62 oilpan must be done or possibly need to change/modify the front stabilizer bar.
Alpina made special Motor Mount Brackets, they are $$$. Information about it and how to make my own motor mount brackets would be ideal because Alpina parts are expensive(cha ching!!!).
Fitment of new custome exhaust is neccessary of course.
Could it be done?

stormos
05-28-2006, 11:26 PM
sod that. just get an RB25 or RB26 ;)

andy
05-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Try this link:

http://www.edgemotorworks.com/m344.html

Short answer is that while an M60 or M62 can be had for cheap, it's a very long and involved ($$$) process to get it into an e36 chassis for a race car, much less something that may be street legal.

Oh, and a postscript - that car ran well for a few events, then the engine blew. It's sitting around waiting for another engine now...maybe not one made by BMW...

The guys at Edge are good fellas though, I'm sure they'd be willing to pass along information (heck, maybe even parts) if you give them a call.