PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust

VMGordon
05-31-2006, 12:25 AM
I am looking to purchase a good sounding, fair priced, with added performance a plus. There are so many choices out there, that I am thoroughly burnt out trying to find one that I will like. I don't want a "bee" sounding exhaust, something "throaty" with a good performance.

Any suggestions? Let me know if there is a good site to purchase them from.

Also, a cold air filter system would be the next item I will be looking for, if you have a good combination let me know.

Thanks.

BTW-I am running a 96 base, if that matters.

L84THSKY
05-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Stromung Exhaust and Carbonio CAI. Sounds great together.

I am looking to purchase a good sounding, fair priced, with added performance a plus. There are so many choices out there, that I am thoroughly burnt out trying to find one that I will like. I don't want a "bee" sounding exhaust, something "throaty" with a good performance.

Any suggestions? Let me know if there is a good site to purchase them from.

Also, a cold air filter system would be the next item I will be looking for, if you have a good combination let me know.

Thanks.

BTW-I am running a 96 base, if that matters.

cali-ti
05-31-2006, 02:18 AM
the supersprint sounds nice, deeper than stock but not loud. it's not a complete stainless unit though (aluminized steel i believe) so you need to keep an eye on it for rust (especially if you're in an area where they salt like i used to be, WI).

snwbrdrbum10
05-31-2006, 05:58 AM
or the bosal brospeed

DustenT
05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
or the bosal brospeed

NO!!!!!!

Why would anyone recommend this exhaust? It sounds awful, it's possibly the worst sounding aftermarket exhaust system I've ever heard.

bullmand
05-31-2006, 02:51 PM
I second the Supersprint if you can stand the price. I've heard good things about Stromung and Remus. I believe the Remus may be discontinued so that could lead to a discount if you can find one.

mohaughn
05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
the supersprint sounds nice, deeper than stock but not loud. it's not a complete stainless unit though (aluminized steel i believe) so you need to keep an eye on it for rust (especially if you're in an area where they salt like i used to be, WI).

Good luck finding one of those supersprint mufflers. The aluminized black ones with the resonator included on the end are no longer sold in the US. Now you have to get the full stainless ones that require the adaptor pipe. $720 including the adaptor pipe with BMWCCA discount at BMP design. A lot of sites still have them listed on their websites, but they all drop ship from BMP, and BMP doesn't stock them. Seems that they stopped stocking these when they stopped stocking the front resonator.

cali-ti
05-31-2006, 03:37 PM
damn ... that sux! guess i better keep mine in good shape then! good thing i just repainted it with high temp.

bullmand
05-31-2006, 04:01 PM
BMP needs to fix their website then. It still shows up there and you can put it in your shopping cart. Has anybody verified with them that they don't have it anymore?

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/1560/category_id/100/search_year/1998/search_model/52

snwbrdrbum10
05-31-2006, 04:48 PM
you dont like the bosal dusten?

mohaughn
05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
bullmand- Yeah. I called around to leatherz, bimmerworld, perfauto.com, and several other vendors that other folks on here have used to get supersprint mufflers. All of them said that they drop ship from Supersprint North America. Once I got my CCA membership card I called BMP to buy it, which is when I realized that BMP is Supersprint North America. I want to say it was three weeks ago that I called around looking for the muffler.

I think they did have the DTM and the EVO tip at the time, but I don't like those looks.

Also like somebody else mentioned, when I was shopping for the mufflers is when I became aware that these mufflers will rust from the inside out. Since I live in Florida I've been contemplating just getting one of the more expensive full stainless steel ones.

DustenT
05-31-2006, 06:54 PM
NO!!!!!!

Why would anyone recommend this exhaust? It sounds awful, it's possibly the worst sounding aftermarket exhaust system I've ever heard.

you dont like the bosal dusten?

It sounds like crap, but then again I'm used to my old Dinan muffler. The main reason I purchased the bosal exhaust was to get the stainless cat to muffler section. I'll probably end up replacing the bosal muffler with something different and adding a resonator.

There is a reason they were selling these exhaust systems for so cheap. It's because they sound like sh!t.

bullmand
05-31-2006, 08:24 PM
bullmand- Yeah. I called around to leatherz, bimmerworld, perfauto.com, and several other vendors that other folks on here have used to get supersprint mufflers. All of them said that they drop ship from Supersprint North America. Once I got my CCA membership card I called BMP to buy it, which is when I realized that BMP is Supersprint North America. I want to say it was three weeks ago that I called around looking for the muffler.

I think they did have the DTM and the EVO tip at the time, but I don't like those looks.

Also like somebody else mentioned, when I was shopping for the mufflers is when I became aware that these mufflers will rust from the inside out. Since I live in Florida I've been contemplating just getting one of the more expensive full stainless steel ones.

That's really unfortunate. I've noticed that many of the few aftermarket companies that make stuff specifically for the ti are starting to drop those products. That sucks for us since it's only going to make finding decent stuff harder and more expensive. Thanks for letting us know about this.

madfronter
05-31-2006, 08:36 PM
I have yet to decide if I like the bosal exhaust. I have received a few nice commens from friends who said it sounds nice and not obnoxious but I think it sounds a little weird. I think the exhaust is louder inside the car compared to outside the car. It does sound better than the universal fart cans people put on their cars though.

Viper3812
05-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Go for the Stromung ($575) which is 100% stainless steel.

ChItalian1027
05-31-2006, 11:25 PM
which ones better dinan bosal or stromung? i too am looking in to buying a new exhaust system!

Viper3812
05-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Stromung all the way.
The sound clip is on this site:
http://www.understeer.com/index.htm

ChItalian1027
06-01-2006, 01:05 AM
where should i get the carbonio cai? any websites?

ChItalian1027
06-01-2006, 01:07 AM
which exhaust should i go with stromung or bosal the one that DustenT has?

ChItalian1027
06-01-2006, 01:28 AM
anybody got any clips on the remus exhaust?

Variance
06-01-2006, 01:33 AM
Juni took a clip of his, located here: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/32C3C50D-1067-423E-AEF9-060DD590E542.htm
However, he said he swapped out the muffler for a dual-tipped setup, so I'm not sure how different it sounds now, compared to Remus's normal system for the ti.

barische
06-01-2006, 05:28 AM
i have remus and i like it...

my $.04

m-technik_ti
06-01-2006, 06:21 AM
I've gone with the Borla stainless exhaust for my Ti....I compared it to the exhaust note of a 318i with the Supersprint and they sound pretty similar, although the Borla sounds a bit raspier at high RPM. Overall it emits a pretty decent sound for a 4-banger exhaust.

ChItalian1027
06-04-2006, 04:14 AM
any chance u could put up some clips?

mrtwo
07-10-2006, 01:21 AM
What about the ANSA sold by Bavarian Autosport? Any good?