PDA

View Full Version : Automatic transmission behavior

bmvw
06-13-2006, 11:36 PM
This being my first BMW, I have a couple questions about the behavior of the transmission (automatic).

1) Driving off in the morning, the shift point seems high (4500 rpm) while the engine is cold.

2) If dropped into reverse while rolling (slowly) forward, usually while parking, it makes a decided clunk and the car shudders. Also vice versa. In every other type of automatic car I've driven the car will smoothly change directions in parking lot maneuvers.

Is this normal for performance transmissions or should I get the checkbook out?

FATHER
06-14-2006, 01:21 AM
the first is normal damage to the governor, mine have the same problem, the second i dont understad because i am spanish

Juni
06-14-2006, 01:35 AM
the first one is normal so that the car can properly warm up the diff. The second sounds like you can possibly be leaking tranny fluid.

FATHER
06-14-2006, 02:26 AM
i ask the first to a BMW mechanic aqnd he said that is a bad tranny governor, so he screw me ??

DustenT
06-14-2006, 03:25 AM
2) If dropped into reverse while rolling (slowly) forward, usually while parking, it makes a decided clunk and the car shudders. Also vice versa. In every other type of automatic car I've driven the car will smoothly change directions in parking lot maneuvers.

Is this normal for performance transmissions or should I get the checkbook out?

*shakes head*

USE THE BRAKE TO STOP THE CAR BEFORE CHANGING GEARS!!!

....unless you like the idea of changing out the transmission....

CirrusSR22
06-14-2006, 03:26 AM
The first one is normal. It's programmed that way to heat up the catalytic converter faster, thus reducing emmissions.

With number two are you saying that you're still moving forward while you put it into reverse?? That's a excellent way to damage your transmisson. Come to a complete stop, then put it in reverse.

angel318ti
06-14-2006, 03:26 AM
they are both normal. you can actually drop your car in reverse while going 40mph and not do any damage. the tranny ecu wont let it shift until you are not moving that fast any more. that clunk you hear is the transmission actually engaging into gear. tatally normal.

bmvw
06-14-2006, 06:15 PM
I should mention it's been like this since I got it & put 3000 miles on it. The behavior does not seem to be worsening. Underneath, the metallic cooler lines to the radiator seem to be scraped up real bad (the previous owner must have thought it was the NFS Edition 318 Ti) but no sign of leaking.

I have a 1985 Toyota Corolla with 250,000 miles and you can sling that thing from reverse to drive at parking lot speeds very smoothly and without complaint. As I can every other automatic except this 318.