PDA

View Full Version : brake change

jetblackbimmer
06-14-2006, 04:36 PM
The guy at Super Automotive in North Hollywood, that's where the guys at the parts dept at the dealer sent me, told me he would do a complete brake change for 500 incl parts. The parts from bavauto are 300 shipped, cheapest I've found after shipping, plus install it myself, which means that I have to go buy a jack stand as well. I was wondering if that was a good price or should I try a couple more shops?

His first estimate was 800. Then I said I would do it myself, so he dropped the price.

The work is for a complete change. I don't even know how long it would take.

andyman7931
06-14-2006, 04:55 PM
what are you having done? pads and rotors on all 4 wheels?

it's not hard work at all. I'd say do it yourself.

you could get the parts for a lot less than bavauto...

jetblackbimmer
06-14-2006, 05:21 PM
where from??? Got some links? I have checked out a bunch of sites.

It is for Rotors, pads, sensor wires. All 4 wheels. The shop only gets there parts from Century West BMW. The parts guy sent me there because they buy all their parts directly from the dealer.

andyman7931
06-14-2006, 05:24 PM
I'd start with bmaparts.com

you don't need to replace the sensors unless they are broken, if the light is on, chances are it's only 1 that's broke.

L84THSKY
06-14-2006, 05:25 PM
I did rotors, pads and sensors last year. Was probably $250.00 in parts.

Axxis ultamate pads, OEM sensors, ATE slotted front discs, and OEM rear discs

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6460&highlight=brakes

where from??? Got some links? I have checked out a bunch of sites.

It is for Rotors, pads, sensor wires. All 4 wheels. The shop only gets there parts from Century West BMW. The parts guy sent me there because they buy all their parts directly from the dealer.

bullmand
06-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Try bimmerparts.com or pelicanparts.com. Don't completely rule out the dealership either as the rotors are pretty reasonably priced from them.

jetblackbimmer
06-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Light isnt on. Rotors from the dealer are 55 front/58 rear. 35 front at bavauto. I did the math and the parts from the dealer total is over 350. 300 from bavauto includes the lube, wires, noise clips, whole shabang, minus calipers carriers and the like. I figured that it would probably be worth it to replace a lot of things. I keep finding a lot of stuff not right with the car. Turns out the driver's door panel was taped on. Not nice at all.

I always forget about pelicanparts.com. Adding to favorites now. bmaparts.com, never heard of it.

Are they really easy to do, or really easy to mess up?

If I do it myself it involves buying a few tools, not a bad thing, jack stands, no room to store, studio apartment. Can't turn it into a garage. I do have the place to do the work, a friend with a driveway.

lkwd318ti
06-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Do it yourself, My friend and I did my brakes (SS lines, front calipers, rotors pads and sensors)...
It took us a long time just because we ran into problems and we were lazy haha...

-Randy

grm
06-14-2006, 10:13 PM
how do you like these Axxis ultamate pads? do they dust up, make noises and eat rotors?

L84THSKY
06-14-2006, 11:09 PM
I like them, stop on a dime, light dusting.

how do you like these Axxis ultamate pads? do they dust up, make noises and eat rotors?

bullmand
06-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Just one suggestion. Do the short lines in the rear first. They're the hardest part of this project. If you do them first while you're fresh, the rest will be cake.

jetblackbimmer
06-15-2006, 02:08 AM
Thnx for the heads up. It'll be my first full brake change. I have done the pads before, but not on the ti. They are just starting to squeak, so I guess I got a couple more weeks.

JPerfect
07-16-2006, 07:00 AM
If there are no lights, you can probably continue using your sensor wires... or you have a blown fuse or something, best check it.

I just replaced my rear rotors, brake pads, and emergency brake shoes. I had never done it before, and briefly looked over a how-to before jumping into it.

It took me a total of three hours, that's including prep, a half-hour trying to get my driver's side rotor off. I recommend a can of anti-seize solution.

Doing the rotors and calipers is a snap, you can probably do all four wheels in a matter of an hour and a half if you had all the right sockets and allan keys.

Definitely worth doing yourself.