PDA

View Full Version : Sony CDX-GT500 question.

Ruddman
06-18-2006, 12:14 AM
I finally decided to listen to everyone and replace my stock head unit. i decided to install a Sony CDX-GT500. the only problem is my sub woofer wont work with the CD player. it works great with the radio tuner though. anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

jetblackbimmer
06-18-2006, 02:13 AM
call sony and complain. It has a warranty right?

Ruddman
06-18-2006, 02:27 AM
I think that it is just a setting issue but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

DustenT
06-18-2006, 02:46 AM
I think that it is just a setting issue but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Does it have a dedicated sub-woofer output? If it does you probably need to enable the sub output.

jetblackbimmer
06-18-2006, 02:57 AM
On mine I have to hold Setup to turn on/off my sub and amp. I have an Alpine but that is the most common way. Start holding down buttons with the radio on and off. That is how I figured out mine. But yeah check the cables as well. if it has the dedicated sub output wouldnt it be labeled. All my rca cables are factory labeled.

Ruddman
06-18-2006, 04:37 AM
It does have a dedicated sub out but the problem is that the sub works fine with the radio tuner however when i switch to the CD player the sub amp gets turned off.

jetblackbimmer
06-18-2006, 04:48 AM
I would call sony, although their support is pretty bad. I have a couple sony products, cam, computer and their support sucks. Computers aren't as good as others either, however great software bundle for video, other than that NOPE. Their accessories are too much too. 100 for a camera power lead. I am never buying another sony product except for the PS3.

Basically I would never recommend Sony except for the playstation. They have nice products but service is way too sh***y for the price.

Phil Marx
06-18-2006, 06:03 AM
You're probably powering the sub amp with the antenna trigger wire which, on a Sony, does not supply power to the antenna (or your sub) when the tuner is off, as in when playing CDs. It's a matter of switching between the blue wire and the blue wire with the white tracer. Whichever one you're using now, try the other. I'm several hundred miles away from my car but your Sony wiring diagram should make it clear.

Check this thread (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9454).

Ruddman
06-18-2006, 04:23 PM
That was the problem exactly. I changed the connection to the correct wire and everything works great now.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Ruddman

bullmand
06-19-2006, 04:06 AM
Phil, you're my hero. I just bought a new Sony headunit on Saturday and installed it. No sound while playing CDs. I figured it was probably in the wiring harness somewhere so I looked around on line. I was planning on taking it somewhere tomorrow and then I figured I'd look here just in case. I saw this post and now my problem is solved. So, thank you. BTW, the Sony CDX-GT400 has illumination that very closely matches the rest of the instruments. I'm very happy with it.

bullmand
06-25-2006, 10:06 PM
New problem. Ever since I put this headunit in the radio reception has been crappy. Any suggestions as to why that may be? Is it another harness quirk?

Phil Marx
07-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Assuming you got the correct adapter and that the antenna lead is connected to the Sony, and that you supplied power to the antenna (base loaded electronic with an amp that needs power), you might check your Sony's sensitivity setting. You all laugh at the prices from Crutchfield for this stuff but they supply a complete adapater that means you don't have to cut the first wire in your car's harness. Are you piecing this together by tapping into the car's harness, or do you have an adapter that comes off the original radio plug?

bullmand
07-03-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm using the plug-and-play adapters from circuit city. They have the product-specific plugs on one end and their own plugs in the middle. I moved the blue wire with the white line as you suggested to fix the CD signal, but the reception was never good. The only sensitivity setting I've found on the unit is the mono on/off. I was thinking about getting the stuff from Crutchfield and giving it a try. I had originally intended to buy the whole package from them, but I had a bunch of Circuit City gift cards lying around. Oh well. Thanks for your help.