PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gear Clicking

MontrealBlueCali
06-22-2006, 08:10 PM
:confused:

1996 - manual. In first gear - under rapid pressure from the engine - there is a clicking coming from under the center driveshaft channel. It's hard to tell whether it's from the front or the back, but the sound only happens when rapid acceleration is attempted ... and only in 1st gear. (and definitely not from the engine area) It sounds like gears clacking or splines slipping ... could it be the front assembly of the drive shaft? I understand the driveshaft is an all or nothing replacement ... i.e. u-joint job isn't an answer. But aren't there "interface" points that require plastic/rubber washers on the front of the drive shaft that hold it firmly to the spline / transmission connection? Could these be worn?

I wouldn't think it is 1st gear in the guibx? :eek:

All maintenance always completed on time. Recent: plugs, belts, filters, oil.

Any help / advice would be appreciated .... intending on putting the car on ramps later today - to check out the underside.

Sean D.
Nashville, TN

My favorite possible answer: "Hey, don't try and accelerate too fast... you're causing the poor car to make that horrible noise .... take it easy... man!" :tongue:

andyman7931
06-22-2006, 08:20 PM
could it be the center support or guibo? Both driveshaft items that once they start to go bad, they'll only get worse.

Edit: both are rather inexpensive and replacable.

MontrealBlueCali
06-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks. Yep, I'm going to do a visual on the front connection, mid-support, and then the rear connection later today. I'm hoping it's something that easy. I'm just trying to get ideas prior to the actual work.

I know the center support can't be that much .... but what about the guibx? Inexpensive? I figure less than $100 for the mount ... but the guibx must be pushing $200 - $300??

Thanks again,
Sean D.

andyman7931
06-22-2006, 08:57 PM
the guibo and center support is around $30 each at bmaparts.com

if you enter SPECE30 for a coupon code they give you a few $ off... If you get your order over $50 you get free shipping too

DustenT
06-22-2006, 09:00 PM
The driveshaft is a two piece design, with splines in the center. Maybe your driveshaft is twisting to the point that the splines are slipping? Seems very unlikely, but you can check it out while you are under there.

campaiar
06-22-2006, 09:15 PM
I'd say its first gear in the trans. Driveshaft problems are usually detected by vibrations in the drive line. When the center-bearing, gimbo, or u-joints go, they cause increasing vibration through all gears, not just first. The faster the driveshaft spins, the worse the vibration usually is.

MontrealBlueCali
06-23-2006, 12:37 AM
It's the not the front or rear connections. The mid transfer (mount/bearing)is so inexpensive and labor intensive that if I take it off I'm replacing it .... by the time I get to the point that I can verify it's the probelm (removal of heat shield / removal of drive shaft) I might as well just replace it... so I didn't look at it. But I think -based on it being the cheaper of the above fixes mentioned so far - it's a good first part to replace. Heck, the car's 10 years old ... that transfer bearing might not be worn out, but I bet it sure is tired (and could be causing slip?)!

Thanks again for the info... I actually work on photo processing machines for a living ... and I've found it's always better to have a wealth of information to sort through to determine a problem ... than very little info, lots of shoulder shruggin', and head scratchin'.... nuthin' ever seems to get done when that starts happenin'!

Thanks again. Any other info would be appreicated.

roadrash
06-23-2006, 12:56 AM
The best info I could give you is the name and number of the mechanic that I use. Send me a PM if ya want it. :biggrin:

1rstbmw!
06-23-2006, 01:22 AM
I know one in Lafayette that is GREAT, but expensive.

MontrealBlueCali
06-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, It's Friday. Planning on driving to the coast (gulf shores, al) later today ... soooo ... it'll either fly apart (at which time it will definitely need to be fixed) or the problem will only appear when accellerating hard in 1st gear. Thanks again for all the info. I'll be in touch with the last two posts ... perhaps upon my return.

Remember this: Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes... that way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

MontrealBlueCali
06-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks to all for the help. I think campaiar has it right... 1st gear. After an additional 1000 miles there is no additional vibration/noise from the center shaft... And the noise only appears in 1st gear during an attempt at rapid accelleration. Thanks again... I'm now looking for a gear box / transmission.

Rusty_insano
07-08-2006, 06:07 AM
I was reading this fourm, becuase im having the same problem... I have a 97' manual, and it does the same exact thing... sorta... except 100 times worse. Iv been having financial problems so i could not have a mechanic look into it. Instead of a clicking, there is a horrible banging/throbing sound, extremely loud. Coming from the same place MontrealBlueCali descirbed. It sounds like as if I took a basball bat and hit a car door a few times... It does the same thing in second, but faids away after 20-25mph+. Could it be the same problem? or not.. becuase it makes the same noise in second...? Please help.

PS- Where could I find a new vacum hose for the engine?? (dealership.)?

MontrealBlueCali
07-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Since the first post I have driven the car another 2500 miles. The same noise occurred in 2nd gear. Apparently it is not the transmission... but that is where I was leaning until it happened in 2nd gear. The noise happens under high-torque / high RPM's. Doesn't happen under "regular" load. Now I'm leaning toward the center transfer / gear / bearing - or - the rear differential. Next step: I'm planning on draining the rear differential fluid and check the fluid for metal. Then replace the center transfer bearing. This could make sense: The drive shaft spins evenly under normal pressure - it's balanced and the bearing has no real "load" on it. However, once the rotations increase the bearing (worn off-center by time) succumbs to the pressure and "wobbles" - thus the noise.

Mad-Machine
07-09-2006, 01:32 PM
My Fiat spider uses a similar system to what BMW uses.. the "Guibo" or flex joint right after the trans and a center support bearing after the joint in the axle.

I know from experience with my spider, that when the centre support bearing starts to go, it causes vibration and noise ONLY under hard acceleration. Once the shaft gets spinning, inertia and the gyroscopic effect of it spinning keep it aligned and smooth. Over time, as it gets worse, it will start appearing in other gears and at slower rates of acceleration.. until it finally fails totally and either drops the shaft onto the support beam or it flings it about with enough force to rip through the sheet metal under the car.

I have seen both happen.

MontrealBlueCali
07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Wow -- Thanks Mad Machine. I'm thinkin' the same - now. It's not so bad I need to have it done today, but we're planning another extended trip at the end of the month --- so I need to do it before then. I will post when the bearing / center support work is done and let everyone know the outcome.
Thanks again to all who posted... process of elimination has helped.

MontrealBlueCali
07-19-2006, 04:35 AM
Here's the final deal: I just replaced the front "flex-disc" (guibo?) and the middle bearing/support bracket on the driveshaft. The problem is gone. The front disc has visable signs of wear - cracks. The middle support rubber was worn and no longer firm but very soft and ... well ... unsupportive. The entire job took over three hours WITH the car on a lift and air tools. I don't recommend this be done in the garage, on ramps, or jack stands. The entire exhaust system needed to be removed to adequately get to the driveshaft. The pressure needed to remove the front transmission bolts and exhaust bolts on the header was extreme. A full-on workshop was MORE THAN HANDY ... it was necessary. Letsee... thanks to andyman7931 ... and mad machine for the diagnosis. Thanks to all else that responded.