PDA

View Full Version : help please, can't stop the slipping

jetblack95
06-28-2006, 05:49 PM
So my AC belt popped off one day during driving and ended up somewhere down the road....yay.......

so i went and got a new belt and put it on, and i have done everything i can to tighten this belt, and reguardless when i first start up, it just continually slips....and the belt feels tight when i press on it, thats the problem....

done everything i can think of, now i figured i'de see if you guys can help...

i've tried belt dressing, when i sprayed it on the belt, it actually made the compressor slip and start screaming again...go figure...

well any advice is appreciated! thanks!

jetblack95
06-28-2006, 05:50 PM
ha ha junior member...i love it, by the way 95 318Is, not Ti....heard you guys had some good ideas

aceyx
06-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Did the belt just slip on or did you put slack in the tensioner to put it on?

mischief
06-28-2006, 06:41 PM
how did you run the belt over the tensioner or under
i think you ran it under

jetblack95
06-29-2006, 01:29 PM
well thats what happened the first time i changed the belt i put the belt under the tensioner, thats why it ended up somewhere down the road, so when i finally looked at the pics i went OOOpppsss and switched it around with a new belt....still slipping like crazy though

also i slacked the tensioner to put it on and then tightened it to where there was a little play as i could possibly get out of the belt

FATHER
06-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe your AC compresor have a bearings problem....

jetblack95
06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
anything i can do about this? toss some lithium grease or some WD-40 somewhere? or is it get a new compressor kinda thing?

GDB
06-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Maybe it's the wrong size belt.

And make sure you're using belt dressing that's designed for a serpentine belt. Some belt dressings are only designed for use with v-belts and will cause slipping when applied to a serpentine belt.

jetblack95
06-29-2006, 04:22 PM
definetly the right size belt, went and checked the smaller belt and it wouldn't fit

thanks for the idea on the belt dressing, but the belt for the compressor is a V belt

andyman7931
06-29-2006, 05:49 PM
definetly the right size belt, went and checked the smaller belt and it wouldn't fit

thanks for the idea on the belt dressing, but the belt for the compressor is a V belt

does it look like the picture here? I think that's not typically called a v-belt even though that's what realoem calls it. I'd refer to it as a serpentine belt...

file:///c:/temp/moz-screenshot.jpghttp://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/k/l/197.png

mischief
06-29-2006, 05:52 PM
that could be what father said might be the AC is fried try rotating the pully with your hand

L84THSKY
06-29-2006, 07:20 PM
From what I remember of my 1st Scirocco, the pulley was locking up because the compressor was seizing. In the end the mechanic bypassed the AC pulley.

that could be what father said might be the AC is fried try rotating the pully with your hand

jetblack95
06-29-2006, 08:08 PM
it rotates, but its tough, how hard should it be to spin it?

FATHER
06-29-2006, 08:23 PM
remember that the ac compresor have a cluth, it was to spinning, the best test is put the belt, star the car with the ac in on and look to find the slipping cause, if you put wax in the pulleys you can find it more easy because you see with smog in the slipping pulley

mischief
06-29-2006, 08:28 PM
sound like the compresor dieded
i have a 1997 318ti im going to remove the ac compresor if u like i can sell it to you.
its coming couse the turbo is going in

jetblack95
06-29-2006, 09:46 PM
how do you do this wax in the pulley thing, never heard of that......

and if necessary i would be interseted in your compressor....how much, and does the TI have the same Comp as the Is?

FATHER
06-30-2006, 04:27 AM
First i star the engine then use a piece of wax or a cnadle and push it to the drive belt for about a one half of minute... i use this to check for sliping in my blower

mischief
06-30-2006, 04:43 AM
how do you do this wax in the pulley thing, never heard of that......

and if necessary i would be interseted in your compressor....how much, and does the TI have the same Comp as the Is?
how much do compressor sell for dose 120 sound good to you

jetblack95
06-30-2006, 01:52 PM
well i went out last night after the car cooled down and soaked the clutch with PB blaster, then went out first thing in the morning and hit it with a bunch of lithium grease, and no screaming....i'm sure it's temporary fix, but i'm having my mech look at it tomorrow, if he says it needs to go i'll get in touch with you on the comp.

thanks!

jetblack95
07-10-2006, 10:33 PM
looks like i'm going to need that compressor after all.....

can't get it now due to funding issues, however i will need it eventually. when it comes to the compressor after having someone evac the system it's just a matter of loostening and taking out right? or is it something that i should most definetly have a professional do?

i'de rate myself a 6 in my mechanical abilities, couldn't rebuild a head or an engine but i'm sure i could take one apart, get me?

mischief
07-10-2006, 11:07 PM
just let me kno when you want it

jetblack95
07-30-2006, 05:53 PM
update!!!

according to my mech this adjsuter pulley is whats causing the belt to get the wobble to it.....replace this and i most likely will notice the problem stoped

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/k/l/197.png

wont let me post pictures or something, but hit the link and you'll see.....

part # 2....since your getting rid of your stuff could i get this pulley? let me know how much