PDA

View Full Version : 318ti or E36 m3? Long Post...

lkwd318ti
07-01-2006, 09:46 AM
So...
I'm saving up for another car as I think I'm done with my current car...

Basically, I'm looking for another ti if possible, but it's so hard to find a good one that I want.
My other option would be to look for an E36 M3, probably the 4 door just because it's harder to find one...
What would you guys choose and why?

Here's my thoughts on this...

-Why I would get another 318ti-
-I love it, it's unique and you don't see that many people driving them. When you see someone with it, they usually give good vibes.
-Sport package makes it better because of the cool interior scheme with the 2 tone seats, etc.
-The reaction people get when you open the hatch.
-California roof is pretty cool and it's also a rare and unique option. People who have it here say "People ask me if it's custom and ask who did it"...stuff like that.
-Next, insurance rates are low for this car because it was BMW's entry model.
-It's a BMW.
-I don't want to leave this forum.
-I'm usually the only one with a ti at meets, if not, there would be one more, 2 at most...
-When you have a really nice ti, people like it, even people who say "I'm usually not a fan of the ti, but damn!"

-Reasons why I wouldnt get another 318ti-
-Slow acceleration.
-I already have one.
-Some people hate how it looks (but then again, there are people like that for everything).
-I'm usually the only one with a ti at meets, if not, there would be one more, 2 at most...
-There isn't that much 318 love in general, love for the ti is harder to find too.
-Aftermarket support isn't really the greatest...
-Generally overpriced especially here in CA.
-So hard to find a good one...and usually that good one is the overpriced one (as high as an M.)

-Why I would get an ///M3-
-It's the legendary M3!
-Fast acceleration and great cornering. (Best Handling Car of it's time according to Car & Driver)
-Head Turner, WHOA M3!
-Great aftermarket support.
-Great looking car!
-It's a BMW.
-Estoril Blue, Dakar Yellow, Technoviolet, Daytona Violet, etc

-Why I wouldn't get the ///M3-
-I see alot more M3s and 318tis. (That's just me though.)
-Head turner, even turns cop's heads, sometimes their lights and sirens too...
-I hear stories where everybody wants to race you just because they see "M3"
-Not the same as the Euro M3 with 321HP...The US M3 has a stroked M52 (or something like that)
-Same body as the regular E36s, doesn't really stand out as much as a ti.
-Insurance rates are high.
-I would have to keep saving up till next year :tongue: .

Please tell me what you guys think and WHY.

-Randy

316i compact
07-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Go for the M3. It isn't even comparable with the ti. And then start saving money to supercharge or turbocharge it:)
Why :
1) powerfull car
2) it has a wonderfull straight 6
3) it doesn't require mods to improve it in any aspect (it has good brakes,good suspension,factory LSD,enough power,very good looking,and nice interior)
4) it carries the magic ///M badge
5)potential for huge power
6)head turner
7)you will spend a lot of money to build a nice ti which will cost more than the M3 in the end! (correct me if i am mistaken)
8)more sophisticated rear axle than our tis

i cant think more at the moment :)
by the way your car is really beautifull

angel318ti
07-01-2006, 04:42 PM
I just bought the M3 like 3 months ago and if I have to sell the ti to get another M3 I would.

mischief
07-01-2006, 05:32 PM
not me love my ti that's you i own 3
i driven all kinds of bmw i used to work for a shop and the bmw dealer was next door
a stock Ti isn't that much fun but after some modifications there a blast to drive

and why do you want to sell your ti why not add a supercharger or turbo

m3outtanowhere
07-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Do u want a car that is more controllable at ITS high speeds, better gas milage, and unique? The ti allows a person with mediocre skill the ability to drive like a Pro-Cup Racer. The m3 weens out the bad drivers with brute force. ie. if you take a 70 degree apex in the ti at 65 mph in third gear...well u know!!! In the m3...well a little throttle will definately show you what torque/throttle response means, can we assume sideways is bad? (to the ti drifters out there).

In short, coming from a person who has owned both cars...you can own a ti with ease and comfort - but if ur not EXTREMELY careful a m3 will own you.

robcarync
07-01-2006, 08:25 PM
i said m3...just because you already have a ti...why not get something different?

plus i have always wanted an m3...

316i compact
07-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Do u want a car that is more controllable at ITS high speeds, better gas milage, and unique? The ti allows a person with mediocre skill the ability to drive like a Pro-Cup Racer. The m3 weens out the bad drivers with brute force. ie. if you take a 70 degree apex in the ti at 65 mph in third gear...well u know!!! In the m3...well a little throttle will definately show you what torque/throttle response means, can we assume sideways is bad? (to the ti drifters out there).

In short, coming from a person who has owned both cars...you can own a ti with ease and comfort - but if ur not EXTREMELY careful a m3 will own you.

With all the respect about your opinion , i somehow, not totally,disagree. You can't compare a 140 hp car with a 240 hp one. If the ti had the same horsepower as an M3 it would be far more difficult to drive it fast, close to its limits, due to the old technology E30 based rear axle. A 318iS for example is easiest to drive fast from a 318ti cause of it's more predictable rear axle. Comparing these two cars , the rear axle of the ti in most of the cases has less traction/grip. This is my opinion.

lkwd318ti
07-01-2006, 09:13 PM
why do you want to sell your ti why not add a supercharger or turbo

I'm actually not going to sell this ti.
I'm going to give it to my brother when he gets his license, so I'm looking for another car.
Then if its the ti I'll get, I'll supercharge/turbo it...

-Randy

TORJTHM
07-01-2006, 09:15 PM
personaly i would go for the ti again just due to the fact that i always have been the kind of person to do things that other people dont want to ... and i hate having the same thing as evry one else ... hints one of the reasons i love my ti... plus here in ornge county there are m3 every were you look ... i have 5 that live right next to me ... its really anoying ...

robcarync
07-01-2006, 09:17 PM
well if you are going to end up giving him the TI, then id get another TI....the only reason i would get an m3 is if you were keeping your first ti

mischief
07-02-2006, 01:00 AM
the old technology E30 based rear axle. A 318iS for example is easiest to drive fast from a 318ti cause of it's more predictable rear axle. Comparing these two cars , the rear axle of the ti in most of the cases has less traction/grip. This is my opinion.

E30,318ti and Z3 have independent rear suspension
and e36 ,e46 and ect have the multilink rear suspension
how much better is the multilink
and did you know that the corvettes have a leaf spring type suspension in the rear

lkwd318ti
07-02-2006, 01:25 AM
personaly i would go for the ti again just due to the fact that i always have been the kind of person to do things that other people dont want to ... and i hate having the same thing as evry one else ... hints one of the reasons i love my ti... plus here in ornge county there are m3 every were you look ... i have 5 that live right next to me ... its really anoying ...

That's a big reason why I like the ti also...
I would take it over a 328is.
For every lets say 50 or so regular E36 bodies, I only see 1 or 2 tis.
At Bimmerfest I only counted around 10 318tis...

...yeah about the OC, I go to UCI sometimes and there's a bunch of M3 around the area haha...

-Randy

SDKmann
07-02-2006, 01:45 AM
You do realize that you are asking an impossible question, right? In the BMW world the ///M3 and the ti are completely different cars. But if I had to choose between a 4 door ///M3 and a ti I would pick the ti. If you do a swap or put a S/C in the ti you can make it fast and different. If you buy a 4 door ///M3 your no different then the people who bought it just because its was the most expensive 3 series luxury sedan. In a ti you will stand out from the crowd.

m3outtanowhere
07-02-2006, 04:41 AM
With all the respect about your opinion , i somehow, not totally,disagree. You can't compare a 140 hp car with a 240 hp one. If the ti had the same horsepower as an M3 it would be far more difficult to drive it fast, close to its limits, due to the old technology E30 based rear axle. A 318iS for example is easiest to drive fast from a 318ti cause of it's more predictable rear axle. Comparing these two cars , the rear axle of the ti in most of the cases has less traction/grip. This is my opinion.
I am pretty sure i said that same thing?

Ti's suspension/brakes/power/shorter wheelbase = slow/with ease
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7X-v309V9Y

M3's suspension/brakes/power/longer wheelbase = fast/ needs more effort
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4tWeHKYdRg

these are both the cars i drive man! i may either be biased...or actually have tangible knowledge on the subject.:biggrin:

lkwd318ti
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
You do realize that you are asking an impossible question, right? In the BMW world the ///M3 and the ti are completely different cars. But if I had to choose between a 4 door ///M3 and a ti I would pick the ti. If you do a swap or put a S/C in the ti you can make it fast and different. If you buy a 4 door ///M3 your no different then the people who bought it just because its was the most expensive 3 series luxury sedan. In a ti you will stand out from the crowd.

I think it's a possible question. I asked it haha :tongue:
But seriously, I know that if I were to post this on Bimmerforums it would be like...M3-100, 318ti-5.
But I know that here, there are people who opted to get a 318ti rather than an M3.
There are also people here that want an M3 and would trade in their ti for the M3 in a heartbeat.
To me, this car just kinda fell into my lap. After owning it for a while, I've liked it so much that I would take it over any other E36. The only other one I would take would be an M3.
If possible I would like to get both lol!

-Randy

evalha007
07-05-2006, 10:26 PM
M3 > 318ti

lkwd318ti is right, it says a lot that even on a 318ti forum the poll is split 50/50. Most M3 owners probably don't even know what a 318ti is.

Personally, I love my 318ti and hatchbacks are cool, but my next car will be an M3 for sure, once I get the money. I will however keep the 318ti for the sake of novelty and gas money!

jdehaan
07-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Drive any M3 and then drive your TI. If you cant tell the difference then you shouldnt be driving a BMW :wink: .The TI is a great car, dont get me wrong, but it doesnt hold a candle to an M3 besides for originality. Why do you think so many people swap M3 parts into their TIs?

dodj
07-06-2006, 12:10 AM
i would go for the m3, the only reason i got a ti instead of a e36 m3 is coz i couldn't afford one.

not saying i dont love my car so much that my gf gets pissed, but just saying i think the m3 is a clear choice if you had to choose.

personally, im going to keep my ti for year and a half - 2 years and then look to get either a 325ti sport or a 130i sport

Mendi3
07-06-2006, 01:27 AM
I think it's a possible question. I asked it haha :tongue:
But seriously, I know that if I were to post this on Bimmerforums it would be like...M3-100, 318ti-5.
But I know that here, there are people who opted to get a 318ti rather than an M3.
There are also people here that want an M3 and would trade in their ti for the M3 in a heartbeat.
To me, this car just kinda fell into my lap. After owning it for a while, I've liked it so much that I would take it over any other E36. The only other one I would take would be an M3.
If possible I would like to get both lol!

-Randy

Randy my man. Let me give you my 2 cents. I own a DASC 318ti (you saw it at bimmerfest), a 325i E46 sedan (JC chip) and an E36 M3 coupe. All three are great cars. Nobody pays attention to the car when I drive the sedan. The ti and the M3 are both head turners. I can comfortable say that I get more looks and comments when I drive the ti than the M3.

I love my ti. I recently went to a bimmer drive through the Santa Cruz mountains and let me tell you, my ti scared the heck out of the stock E36 M3 owners. They could not believe that I was able to keep up with them. The handling through the twisties it's incredible.

I have driven my E36 M3 through the same road and I can assure you that there is no way I could have taken those turns at that speed with such a superb handling. The ti handles like a Go-Kart.

There are two complete different cars. The M3 it's great with a great smooth engine (6) but also eats more gas than the ti. If you can own both, do it. You will not regret it.

As far as the sedan, I like it due to the fact that you can fit 4 people more comfortable that the others but that's about it. Not sure about the E36 4-door handling.

I hope this helps you. It comes down to: What would you really like to drive?

lkwd318ti
07-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Drive any M3 and then drive your TI. If you cant tell the difference then you shouldnt be driving a BMW :wink: .The TI is a great car, dont get me wrong, but it doesnt hold a candle to an M3 besides for originality. Why do you think so many people swap M3 parts into their TIs?

I actually HAVE driven both, the M3 then my car right after...
I didn't feel anything different AT ALL!!!
haha jk...
but seriously, I did feel a big difference between the 2 cars...
Who says that I'm not going to make the 318ti faster :smile:

Randy my man. Let me give you my 2 cents. I own a DASC 318ti (you saw it at bimmerfest), a 325i E46 sedan (JC chip) and an E36 M3 coupe. All three are great cars. Nobody pays attention to the car when I drive the sedan. The ti and the M3 are both head turners. I can comfortable say that I get more looks and comments when I drive the ti than the M3.

I love my ti. I recently went to a bimmer drive through the Santa Cruz mountains and let me tell you, my ti scared the heck out of the stock E36 M3 owners. They could not believe that I was able to keep up with them. The handling through the twisties it's incredible.

I have driven my E36 M3 through the same road and I can assure you that there is no way I could have taken those turns at that speed with such a superb handling. The ti handles like a Go-Kart.

There are two complete different cars. The M3 it's great with a great smooth engine (6) but also eats more gas than the ti. If you can own both, do it. You will not regret it.

As far as the sedan, I like it due to the fact that you can fit 4 people more comfortable that the others but that's about it. Not sure about the E36 4-door handling.

I hope this helps you. It comes down to: What would you really like to drive?

Heeey man!
Glad to see you're still posting here...
I remember your car clearly with the CSLs and M3 front Lip...
Thanks for your input man...now VOTE haha...
I think that if I go the ti route, the first thing going on there is the DASC...
and When I meant sedan, I was talking about an M3 sedan...
I honestly don't really pay attention to that many sedans that aren't M3 or fixed up...
I'm still not sure of which one I would really want to get...
I'm still being patient and waiting for the right time (saving up haha).
Hopefully by the time I'm done with saving, I'll make up my mind haha...
I'll c-ya later man!
Take care!

-Randy

Mendi3
07-06-2006, 05:53 AM
I actually HAVE driven both, the M3 then my car right after...
I didn't feel anything different AT ALL!!!
haha jk...
but seriously, I did feel a big difference between the 2 cars...
Who says that I'm not going to make the 318ti faster :smile:

Heeey man!
Glad to see you're still posting here...
I remember your car clearly with the CSLs and M3 front Lip...
Thanks for your input man...now VOTE haha...
I think that if I go the ti route, the first thing going on there is the DASC...
and When I meant sedan, I was talking about an M3 sedan...
I honestly don't really pay attention to that many sedans that aren't M3 or fixed up...
I'm still not sure of which one I would really want to get...
I'm still being patient and waiting for the right time (saving up haha).
Hopefully by the time I'm done with saving, I'll make up my mind haha...
I'll c-ya later man!
Take care!

-Randy

Well my vote is a 318ti with a DASC!

GDB
07-06-2006, 04:35 PM
M3.

As much as I love my ti, I would trade it for an M3 in a heartbeat.

There's no replacment for displacment.

Or you could go the ti with a LS1 option :biggrin:

96 3 1 8 ti
07-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Dude, the ti is so incredibly rare. Just DASC that baby and do suspension work. m3's are EVERYWHERE!

G.T.
07-07-2006, 11:08 PM
-Reasons why I wouldnt get another 318ti-
-I already have one.

Reason enough, IMHO.

lkwd318ti
07-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Reason enough, IMHO.

oh yeah...
My car's auto and I would like to experience the 5 speed on a ti haha...

-Randy

Mojo318ti
07-09-2006, 11:41 PM
I'm planning on buying an M3 for my next car, however I plan to always keep my 318ti because I still love the car. I think having both of them sounds like fun!

TORJTHM
07-10-2006, 12:14 AM
i plan on geting an m3 by next year ... but i am going to keep my ti and fully strip it and make it as light as posible .... but im going to get an E30 ... i just love the way they look ... i just met a guy with one last night and its in such a nice shape

HuGo
07-12-2006, 11:25 PM
couldnt you fix up a ti to have same handleling performance as the m3? Put it this way, put same brakes/suspension/ everything that the M3 came out best with like the handleling and so forth, put a supercharger, and itll be like if you had a mini version of a M3 instead its not M3, its TI, but exact same handleling, etc... I dont know if you get what i mean?

andy
07-13-2006, 12:01 AM
I think the vader seats suck in the M3. But you can swap out any 'ti sport seats as I did with mine. Insurance used to be akin to highway robbery for the M3, although I haven't checked it recently.

upstatenybimmer
07-27-2006, 01:44 AM
I voted for the ti myself, but pretty much just because I don't own an M3.

If you are already had a ti, I'd suggest to save and go for the M3. So what if you get pulled over, its probly the only downside to owning an M3. And if people want to race, just show them that its not smart to **** with an M3.

Beleive me, I went car hunting to counties over searching for a 2000 or newer car in the $10,000 range. One day, I was driving the SAME WAY to work that I take every morning and spotted the ti (now mine) for $4500. I bought it the next day and I've had a ear to ear grin on my face since.

So, if you see what I'm getting at... wait and save for the M3, you deffinatly wont regret it. :)

tol4o
08-19-2006, 04:46 AM
M ti with M3 implants is the best choice...

AutoM3otives
08-19-2006, 05:16 AM
theyre not m3s.
theyre 330is/332is.

Panzer_M
08-19-2006, 08:12 AM
DASC 318ti w/ 3.46 Big Diff

or

98 M Coupe/M Roadster

twomato
08-25-2006, 02:28 PM
///M3 = torque. Use the ti for winter.

lkwd318ti
08-25-2006, 04:57 PM
///M3 = torque. Use the ti for winter.

Winter doesn't apply in Socal...

m3outtanowhere
08-25-2006, 08:10 PM
BUY BOTH. I DID!

Nitro Nollie
10-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Get the M3

I have have both aswell a 1998 318ti and a 1997 M3. The M3 is so fast however you can feel that it is heavier than the 318ti. Also my wife complains that that the suspension is really stiff on the M3 compared to the ti. Also the interior on the M3 seems to be holding up beter.

Panzer_M
10-02-2006, 12:17 PM
If your going to do a M3, do the right one and get an E30 M3,

the e36 is nerfed junk in my opinion and the e46 is a whale.

AutoM3otives
10-03-2006, 07:49 AM
If your going to do a M3, do the right one and get an E30 M3,

the e36 is nerfed junk in my opinion and the e46 is a whale.

Amen.

But yea, I don't think Randy wants an E30.
He knows how much I "hate/love" mine.

He's ti for life at this point.

IndianaTravis
10-03-2006, 03:42 PM
The M3 is going to cost a LOT more to maintain, insure, and drive. So keep that in mind.

Plus, a four door M3 is going to cost a LOT more to buy, as well.

I vote that you shop around and try to find a Z3 2.8 Coupe. I love those cars. Hard to find, but if I have my way, will probably be my next car.

bimmerjohn
10-03-2006, 10:13 PM
dude i had an M sold it and bought a 318ti best decision i ever made. Save for a engine conversion so then you can beat on all the M's. Plus as everyone else has said i'm sure there are way too many M's around, to make it stand out from the rest is going to take alot of time and money.

jetblackbimmer
11-16-2006, 10:50 PM
I voted for the m3 then read you were in OC. Get another Ti, bore the engine and be happy you don't have the gas guzzling 6 that you see around every corner. You don't see many e36 M3s up here in Hollywood anymore, which is why I voted for that. When you do see a M3 go buy, it is always a head turner. Too many newer M3s to notice.

Rhys
11-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Bit conjective is this one..
The E30 M3 is regarded as being the only real M3 as it was built for racing (euro one far better than restrictive US version - something to do with one throttle body as opposed to four on the euro version I think). They are all left hookers as well so they are suited to overseas. The E36 M3 was an excersize in selling - it was developed/marketed as a road car using the E30 heritage - but with modifications could be tracked etc. Not saying they are rubbish mind you - the engines are superb (if you don't mind vanos issues) and I know a few people with them, one is a very nice M3 GT in British Racing Green and is a bit of a head turner. But take away the badges and it doesn't look too special unless you know what to look for. A mate has an E34 M5 - he rebadged it as a 520 and people didn't give it a second look (which is what he wanted since an M5 parked nearby got vandelised).

The ti is a very distinctive car - I hated them to start off with, but ended up buying one. I love mine and wouldn't want to sell it unless I realy had to. You can drop pretty much any engine in - but it may ruin the balance. Very practical being a hatchback and with a few tweeks can give some welly since it is lighter than the saloon/coupé.

Den
11-24-2006, 10:15 AM
The rear suspension is different, but I wouldn't exaggerate it too much.

The 240-hp Z3 M Roadster/M Coupe had the E30-based rear axle. Even had the 320-hp motor the last few years(2001+ ?). I haven't heard any complaints. As a matter of fact, I recall a comparison test of ~10 cars in one of the auto rags in which the M Coupe was chosen by some of the reviewers as their favorite among some pretty fancy competition. . .not likely if the car's suspension were inadequate.

Also, when looking at E36's with the multilink rear suspension, check the points where the suspension attaches to the body for damage.

theinfiniteface
01-12-2007, 11:50 PM
In my opinion, go for the M3. It has been said BMW made a sporty entry car (318ti) affordable for the younger and less wealthy to introduce what BMW is. I'm 21 and I could only afford a 318ti. (I thought how cool would it be for a 21 year old to own a Bimmer?) Well after driving the 318ti for the last 8 months, I'm hooked to buy a M3. Now, I just need to double my annual salary. Hahaha!

HuGo
01-13-2007, 12:24 AM
In my opinion, go for the M3. It has been said BMW made a sporty entry car (318ti) affordable for the younger and less wealthy to introduce what BMW is. I'm 21 and I could only afford a 318ti. (I thought how cool would it be for a 21 year old to own a Bimmer?) Well after driving the 318ti for the last 8 months, I'm hooked to buy a M3. Now, I just need to double my annual salary. Hahaha!

DEF.!! go for the e46 if you can.

mykesheehy
01-13-2007, 02:02 AM
i love mine .......ti whit all m3 mecaniks....kick's asssssssssss

AutoM3otives
01-13-2007, 05:15 AM
DEF.!! go for the e46 if you can.

Uhh the e46 is not part of this discussion.
Once again, another one of your pointless posts....

HuGo
01-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Uhh the e46 is not part of this discussion.
Once again, another one of your pointless posts....

Once again, another post you dont have to worry about thus making your post even more "pointless" than the one i put. He was talking about income and i dont think you have to be super rich to own a e36 M. Im not rich and umm yea....

pnosker
01-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Once again, another post you dont have to worry about thus making your post even more "pointless" than the one i put. He was talking about income and i dont think you have to be super rich to own a e36 M. Im not rich and umm yea....

You don't own am M3 as far as I know. But since you own a GT3, you obviously are rich... isn't that right?

AutoM3otives
01-13-2007, 07:55 PM

You don't own am M3 as far as I know. But since you own a GT3, you obviously are rich... isn't that right?

Don't forget that lambo of his, pnosker! you don't have to be rich to own one of those either!

HuGo
01-14-2007, 07:57 AM
lmao, and you guys are saying im killing the thread. F*cking hypocrites.

m3yosh
01-15-2007, 01:03 AM
It really depends on what you want to use the car for... Are you going to use it for commuting or for tracking? For hauling family, the 4 dr is the only way to go.

I have both cars -- 98 318ti sport & 97 m3 sedan, along with an e28 m5. I just purchased the ti, so can't give too much input on it's performance. Besides that, it's bone stock. I mainly purchased the ti as my primary commuter. This might change down the line, but for now, I'll enjoy the mpg's.

Gas mileage isn't bad on the e36 m3, as long as you drive mellow... I used to average about 24mpg on the freeway, which is simlar to and sometimes a little better than the e30 m3. Roughly 330 miles to the tank. That with cams and programming, but before the supercharger...

Maintenance cost on the m3 is not bad... I don't think it's any more expensive than a 325/328. Pretty low maintenance engine, in my opinion -- as long as you address the known weak points. My m3 has 155k miles on it, and it's been supercharged for the past 10k miles. No problems.

Handling on the e36 m3 while stock was good, I suspect better at speed than the ti.

As far as the euro and us e30 m3's -- they are the very similar... Individual throttle bodies on both (4 tb's). The "restrictiveness" you are referring to is probably the catalyzed version on the US models. Also, in europe, they offered EVO models which upped the hp along with minor external modifications, while the US kept receiving the "standard" version.

Between the e30 and e36, they are different animals all together... Cost of maintenance on the e30 m3's is significantly higher. s14's require regular valve adjustments, while the s52USb32 has hydraulic/self-adjusting valves. Just something to keep in mind... Even if you do all your maintenance like I do, it will be more costly to maintain. Don't get me wrong -- I love the e30, and want one... But just doesn't fit my needs.

Cost of purchasing -- between the e30 m3 and e36 m3 sedan... Not going to be too different -- prolly within 5k. If you want a well sorted out e30 m3, follow the 15k rule... Anything less than that, plan to immediately pay the difference to bring it up to par.

Hope that helps.

318iS
01-18-2007, 01:31 PM
omg there is absulutely no comparison...

i cant believe so many poeple voted for a ti.....

the m3 is on another level and far superior than a 318ti.... i cant believe your even considering a ti over a m3....

Steve in No Va
01-20-2007, 01:18 AM
I have owned a 318ti Sport 5sp since last March and have owned an 87 535is since 1998. You may want to think in that direction if you have the money to spend on an M3 and are a hands on owner.

I figure it will cost you $15,000 for a decent to good M3 with 100-125,000 miles. You could buy a good 86-88 535i/is for $2,500-$4,000 with the upper end having some upgrades. Suspension, brakes wheels and tires will run about $3,000. At that point, it will keep up with an M3 in the twisties. I had my 535 at that level for 3 years at the point I began to weigh the option of selling it & buying an M3.

Instead, I got a turbo/intercooler set up from Turbocharging Dynamics for $6,500. Much better decision. At the low boost (8psi), it is faster than a stock M3 putting about 250hp and 280lb/ft at the wheels. At 18psi, Todd DeHate, the owner of TCD, has dynoed his stock internals enging at 395whp and 440lb/ft torque. He has also run a 12.09sec 1/4 mile at 120mph. The video is on the web site. So, for the price of an M3 you could have a higher quality car that handles as well and will keep up with a new Z06 in a straight line.

By the way, he is nearly done with his M50/M52 turbo kit for the e36. I would save money by buying a 325/328 and getting his kit. He expects 325-400+ hp at the wheels, with stock internals, depending on the boost level. His kits are top notch and he is always willing to answer questions.

Go to www.turbochargingdynamics.com and see his stuff.

Sorry to go off in a different direction.

Mallard
02-02-2007, 09:55 AM
m3 weak points

Subframe not able to cope with the power, lots of reports of subframes ripping off at the mounts / underside :(

VAAAAAAAAAAANOS .. f-king things are murderously expensive and faliure is booked in for the car atleast once in its life time ( look out at 100- 150k miles )

service and inspection ... :lol: if you want a performance car, get ready for performance prices

M3 Plus points

e36 rear Z-axle makes the car more stable in sideways driving. no more e30 wobble outs.

big brakes, powerfull clutch that your knee will NOT thank you for

best wheels ever put on a bmw - as standard

available in lovely colours, if its black

can say you drive an M3 ;)

Ti weak points

e30 rear axle, so subframe bush murder ( i was very lucky with mine though :lol: )

lacking ARB on rear struts (my model)

drum brakes!?!

dime size front discs

ALL OF WHICH ARE AFTERMARKET MODS ANYWAY :lol:

Ti plus points

short wheel base
2 door coupe frame = sturdy
quick rack steering
lighter
best brake light clusters in the whole range (imo)
fold down seats in a "normal car"
a PROPPER dashboard, can´t stand regular e36 dash and consoles
CALI ROOFS! where else in bmw land did u ever see a cali roof?
Z3 chassis.. even go as far as to say Z.....M3 chassis ;)
best of both worlds, e36 front susp, e30 rear.

if i had the compact of choice (323, stroked up to 3.0...about 293 fwhp) with full ancilliarys or a Euro EvoM3 3.2 (321 fhp) id have the compact

if you then asked me if id have an e30 B6s (alpina) ..... well

AutoM3otives
02-02-2007, 09:58 AM
m3 weak points

Subframe not able to cope with the power, lots of reports of subframes ripping off at the mounts / underside :(

VAAAAAAAAAAANOS .. f-king things are murderously expensive and faliure is booked in for the car atleast once in its life time ( look out at 100- 150k miles )

service and inspection ... :lol: if you want a performance car, get ready for performance prices

M3 Plus points

e36 rear Z-axle makes the car more stable in sideways driving. no more e30 wobble outs.

big brakes, powerfull clutch that your knee will NOT thank you for

best wheels ever put on a bmw - as standard

available in lovely colours, if its black

can say you drive an M3 ;)

Ti weak points

e30 rear axle, so subframe bush murder ( i was very lucky with mine though :lol: )

lacking ARB on rear struts (my model)

drum brakes!?!

dime size front discs

ALL OF WHICH ARE AFTERMARKET MODS ANYWAY :lol:

Ti plus points

short wheel base
2 door coupe frame = sturdy
quick rack steering
lighter
best brake light clusters in the whole range (imo)
fold down seats in a "normal car"
a PROPPER dashboard, can´t stand regular e36 dash and consoles
CALI ROOFS! where else in bmw land did u ever see a cali roof?
Z3 chassis.. even go as far as to say Z.....M3 chassis ;)
best of both worlds, e36 front susp, e30 rear.

if i had the compact of choice (323, stroked up to 3.0...about 293 fwhp) with full ancilliarys or a Euro EvoM3 3.2 (321 fhp) id have the compact

if you then asked me if id have an e30 B6s (alpina) ..... well

I don't know how it is on your side of the pond, but none of our Ti's had drum brakes.

Plus this thread is basically done. My boy Randy is in the hunt for a ti, suits him better, even one with an S42 2.1 with the possibility of DASC. Holla!

3DGE
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
IDEA, i did not read the 3 pages to this topic...

Buy whatever ti you can find, then buy some m3 or 328+ BMW at a salvage yard, CL, or auction, then put the parts from the salvage bmw into the ti :)

MAKE a 328 or 330 ti, or mini m3 ;)
Thats my plan...

dabesteva
02-03-2007, 12:58 AM
sometimes i have a lil hesitation when it comes to the TI 's but as everybody is saying give it a lil modification here and there and i am sure it will look great plus there are not a lot of them on the streets.
I love my TI but it really bothers me when it comes to speed and i am sure it needs some work done to make it faster by adding a turbo or a supercharger.Then after u get that ,i am sure u will stick with ti and thats what i am planning to do next(add a supercharger).
But it is always good to own an M3 if u can afford it.

Pejacob97
05-10-2007, 12:19 AM
if i could afford an M3 i would definatly have one. im a huge bmw fan, and M3 is my dream car, so thats why. also, here in texas, like some 60% of the population drives trucks (i despise trucks with a passion) and i have only ever seen about 2 or 3 M3's in my area and i live in Sugarland if any of you know of it, its one of the nicest parts of texas, or so im told, but anyways...the ti is a really nice car and its my precious little baby, but the M3 is still my dream car, and i also race anyone i can so i need some more pickup, especially if im gonna be having more people in my car, just drove 4 other people around today and i felt like a slug wiht my pickup, definate difference....im off topic. guess my only reason that i want an M3 is for more pickup and b/c its my dream car =)

momorugger
07-04-2007, 11:53 AM
the ti has clearly grown on every member on this forum to where it is almost family. plus, an M3 motor gives you better performance than an M3 due to weight, so you get a faster car for less money, even when you factor in the new brakes and suspension needed for safety's sake. Just stick w/ the ti. you already know 'em like the back of your hand. and they have a place in your heart.

ElfinForest318ti
07-06-2007, 05:49 AM
It is like comparing apples with oranges.

You don't own a 318ti for the same reason you'd have a E36 M3. The ti is the low cost, practical 3 Series, a bimmer that is still fun to drive. The M3 is the hot rod bimmer, high performance, autobahn cruiser 3 Series.

It is like choosing between an old Porsche 912 or 911S. They're both total different yet look so much alike.

If I could afford it, I'd have both. But since price and cost of ownership was my main considerations, the 318ti is my pick.

Nitro Nollie
10-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I had a 1998 318ti sport (M package) for 2 years and loved it.
I sold it and bought a 1997 M3 sedan.

The M3 hands down is just incredible!!!

I owned both for about a year and would constantly switch from the 318ti to the M3 and always drove the M3 ALLOT more!

bachic55
03-19-2008, 12:36 AM
I drive my ti every day b/c of the gas prices....driving the M is a luxury experience though compared to the ti! BUT, gas-wise, the 6 cyc's kill the bank account! ( and M3 rips through tires like crazy and at a great expense!)

tiFreak
03-19-2008, 01:23 AM
( and M3 rips through tires like crazy and at a great expense!)

you could try not burning out so much :wink:

BakeR318
03-19-2008, 01:52 AM
If I had never driven the ti, and I was given the option of either the M3 or the ti, I would have probably gone with the M3 because of its reputation as the flagship BMW sports car. Now, having driven a ti for quite some time, I'm pretty sure that for my applications and purposes I'd take the ti. Along with all the reasons that have been stated before...uniqueness, cost efficiency, etc., the ti has too much attitude to dump it off simply because it lacks a larger power plant, modern rear suspension...you get the idea. I'd definitely own an M3 and plan to SOMEDAY, but I think I'll just advance the car I drive as my age/driving skill increases. As a kid going to college in the fall, I don't need the brute force of an M3 to get me around...the ti provides enough fun for me thanks :D

elchicano
03-19-2008, 01:59 AM
If I had never driven the ti, and I was given the option of either the M3 or the ti, I would have probably gone with the M3 because of its reputation as the flagship BMW sports car. Now, having driven a ti for quite some time, I'm pretty sure that for my applications and purposes I'd take the ti. Along with all the reasons that have been stated before...uniqueness, cost efficiency, etc., the ti has too much attitude to dump it off simply because it lacks a larger power plant, modern rear suspension...you get the idea. I'd definitely own an M3 and plan to SOMEDAY, but I think I'll just advance the car I drive as my age/driving skill increases. As a kid going to college in the fall, I don't need the brute force of an M3 to get me around...the ti provides enough fun for me thanks :D

+1

thesk8nmidget
03-19-2008, 02:30 PM
i would rather have a ti with an m3 motor than a m3

it will be better in every aspect (imo) than just having a m3

but until then its just a ti