PDA

View Full Version : Track Day at P.I.R.

Gunnails
07-08-2006, 08:04 PM
There is a track day scheduled for Aug 12th at Portland International Raceway, sponsored by the Rose city Corvette Club. Apparently for a $122 you can participate in the event wich includes some instruction and the availibility of instructors to ride with you or for you to ride with them, and you get four 20 minute sessions on the track. I have never been on a track before so I am sighning up for the novice group. There is an inspection the car has to clear before you are allowed to take it on the track, they inspect things like the battery being seccure, check ball joints, etc. , one of the things they ask for is to have a catch can for spilt/spilling fluids I.E. radiator, differential, transmission, etc. fluids. anyone know what they are talking about as far as the catch can goes. Any advice on preparing the 96 318 TI with California package for the event, or any other helpful hints as this will be my first time on a track. I am very excited about this opportunity to finnaly get a real feel for the TI on a track. by the way this is not a race.

Thanx, Kyle

Couverman98682
07-08-2006, 08:32 PM
I would guess an oil pan to put under your car to catch any leaks. Sounds like a fun event.

Couverman98682
07-08-2006, 08:33 PM
I want your CALI roof Bastard .... Lets work out a trade HAha

Gunnails
07-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I want your CALI roof Bastard .... Lets work out a trade HAha

======================================================
Actually I bought the car for my 19 year old daughter, Damn roof leaks too, argh, anyone think that they might consder the car a convertible in which case I would need a roll bar to be allowed on the track?

Gunnails
07-08-2006, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=Couverman98682]I would guess an oil pan to put under your car to catch any leaks. Sounds like a fun event.[/QUOT

===========================================

Thats what I was thinking too.

Couverman98682
07-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I owned a 1960 VW bug with the canvas sunroof back when I was younger and would love the CALI roof leak or no leak. Would she consider a no sunroof car?

Gunnails
07-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I owned a 1960 VW bug with the canvas sunroof back when I was younger and would love the CALI roof leak or no leak. Would she consider a no sunroof car?

===============================================

She might but I wont, lol, I still have my name on the title as a co-owner, the roof is one of the best features of the car, it gets lots of comments.

3DGE
07-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Where does it leak? I am sure you can patch it up woth some gunk.

Also sometime next month farrari will be doing something at PRI, I want to go check that out!

Gunnails
07-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Where does it leak? I am sure you can patch it up woth some gunk.

Also sometime next month farrari will be doing something at PRI, I want to go check that out!

=========================================================

I am not sure where it leaks from, I have looked it over pretty good, the fabric and the operation of the top is excellent, I think the problem mite be the gasket that goes all the way around the top, the gasket looks to be in good condition, but I wonder if the gasket has flatten out and is not creating a good seal.
Well it is summer now so I will put the leak further back on the burner and concentrate on changing some fluids in prep for the track day, to spin around on the same track that the Indy cars race on every year, I cant wait for that

Couverman98682
07-09-2006, 12:14 AM
I've heard there is a drain or something for the roof that might be plugged up. Check both ends and mabey blow some air thru it to clear it out?

Gunnails
07-09-2006, 12:25 AM
I've heard there is a drain or something for the roof that might be plugged up. Check both ends and mabey blow some air thru it to clear it out?

============================================

there are actually 4 drains in he sunroof 2 in front and 2 in back they drain via a tube all the way down to some slotted drains on the rocker panels behind each wheel, I chased ours with a long wire and then poured in hot tap water, they are draining fine, but thanks Couv, keep the ideas coming, I would really like to solve that leak, it dosent drip or anything while driving, we just notce the back of the car is all wet from the rear pillars down on each side.:confused:

1996 328ti
07-09-2006, 02:09 AM
There is a track day scheduled for Aug 12th at Portland International Raceway, sponsored by the Rose city Corvette Club.
Do they know you have a California Roof?
Some clubs treat it as a convertible.