PDA

View Full Version : What to do next? Boosted I6?

DustenT
07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm looking for a winter project and I need your help. I'm moving into a new place with an attached garage, so I now have room to start wrenching again!!

Choices:
1. Pick up a m44 and rebuild it, run more boost
Pros: cheapest of all options
Cons: still only a 4 banger, 225rwhp max

2. Pick up a m50 and do a turbo build.
Pros: 300-500 hp range, I haven't seen many turbo m50 swapped 318ti's, FUN!
Cons: expensive ($5k-$10k), the rest of the car might fall apart with the additional power.

3. Don't do anything, just drive it as is until the wheels fall off.
Cons: I'd have to buy another car to play with.

Given these choices, what do you think? I'm leaning towards a turbo m50, just because it would be stupid fast and I could build it over time. There are lots of guy on bf.c running 400-600 hp at the wheels. (and I love turbos!).

Platanos
07-10-2006, 03:40 PM
I pick option 2. Would you do this to your current ti, or another one? Like you said, its going to be expensive but you can take your time with it since you have a garage. You would be the envy of all ti'ers out there. Do it! I wish i had the skills to do something like this!!

Oh and congrats on your move!!

AutoM3otives
07-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Faux S42 2.1 DASC.

sorry but motorswap, esp m/s50 FTL.

DustenT
07-10-2006, 04:07 PM
I pick option 2. Would you do this to your current ti, or another one? Like you said, its going to be expensive but you can take your time with it since you have a garage. You would be the envy of all ti'ers out there. Do it! I wish i had the skills to do something like this!!

Oh and congrats on your move!!

Yes, I would use my current Ti for this. I have too much into it to start over!

andyman7931
07-10-2006, 04:11 PM
I vote #2, probably will eventually do #1 myself, but also thought of doing #2 to a stripped down e30 on the cheap. I'm influenced by the fact that a friend has a $600 m50 here in town and another friend has a $600 325e :-) just begging for the swap

hhspunter
07-10-2006, 04:44 PM
i pick number two. i like turbos. the way i see it, if it's between two and three then pick two because either way the car falls apart :biggrin:

aceyx
07-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Faux S42 2.1 DASC.
I agree.

FATHER
07-10-2006, 08:55 PM
My opinion in order is 3,1,2

DustenT
07-10-2006, 08:59 PM
I agree.

If I did the 2.1 build, I would run lower compression and try to put at least 15psi on top of it. The DASC is pretty much maxed out at 10~12psi, so I don't think this is great option. I'm looking forward to the SEAM kit, because the twin-screw can run 20psi with no problems.

Has anyone actually built a functional s42? I remember the thread from bf.c, but I thought it just died off without an ending. I'd like to stay away from completely custom parts and go a route that has been traveled before.

Besides the differntial and half shafts, what are the weak points on the 318ti chasis? Any additional bracing/reinforcement needed? Can the Getrag tranny handle 300-350hp?

pdxmotorhead
07-10-2006, 09:06 PM
If I did the 2.1 build, I would run lower compression and try to put at least 15psi on top of it. The DASC is pretty much maxed out at 10~12psi, so I don't think this is great option. I'm looking forward to the SEAM kit, because the twin-screw can run 20psi with no problems.

Has anyone actually built a functional s42? I remember the thread from bf.c, but I thought it just died off without an ending. I'd like to stay away from completely custom parts and go a route that has been traveled before.

Besides the differntial and half shafts, what are the weak points on the 318ti chasis? Any additional bracing/reinforcement needed? Can the Getrag tranny handle 300-350hp?
DASC is not maxed out at 12,,, because you can order a bigger blower from Magneson that will fit in the same spot. ARRRRR more power!!!!!!!!

The DASC is a M62 just sub in a M92. Or a M112 if you have cast iron parts....

30lbs of boost is only a credit card slip away.... :)

Dave

GDB
07-10-2006, 09:23 PM
#2.

I personally have a burning desire to go with an M52tu (aluminum block) with ITBs. Now if I can only find a winning lotto ticket stuck under my wiper blade then i'll be set.

DustenT
07-10-2006, 10:20 PM
DASC is not maxed out at 12,,, because you can order a bigger blower from Magneson that will fit in the same spot. ARRRRR more power!!!!!!!!

The DASC is a M62 just sub in a M92. Or a M112 if you have cast iron parts....

30lbs of boost is only a credit card slip away.... :)

Dave

I'm pretty sure eaton blowers are not interchangable. There is now way a m90 would fit in the same place as the m62. Take a look, I would need to redo the intake manifold, and all the brackets.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/images/mp90draw.jpg

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/images/mp62draw.jpg

drrty byl
07-10-2006, 10:34 PM
couldnt you just build an adapter plate that connects the intake manifold on your dasc kit with the holes on the larger blower and also compensates for the positioning of the blower so that it is even with where the original m62 sat? Seems like that would be relatively easy.

do you have mechanical drawings of your DASC intake manifold?

DustenT
07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
couldnt you just build an adapter plate that connects the intake manifold on your dasc kit with the holes on the larger blower and also compensates for the positioning of the blower so that it is even with where the original m62 sat? Seems like that would be relatively easy.

do you have mechanical drawings of your DASC intake manifold?

I don't have any mechanical pictures, but I have these for reference:
http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/Supercharger-Pics/DSCF2685.sized.jpg

http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/Supercharger-Pics/DASC_Rotors_031.sized.jpg

http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/Supercharger-Pics/DASC_Rotors_053.sized.jpg

DustenT
07-10-2006, 11:51 PM
There isn't much room behind the cast elbow, maybe 3" max. There is room to move the SC assembly up and down, and I guess a custom pulley could be used. I'm curious what the load is on an m90 vs. m62. The m62 has almost no lag and works well with the 1.9L. Is the midnight autoworks kit an m90?

FATHER
07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Nope, is a m62 from Nissan supercharger engines...

DustenT
07-11-2006, 03:23 PM
The m90 would have too much lag for the 1.9L.

FATHER
07-11-2006, 03:31 PM
The m90 would have too much lag for the 1.9L.
But you can buil a big pulley for your motor to faster blower spinning, other idea is go for turbo on your current motor

andyman7931
07-12-2006, 02:34 PM
But you can buil a big pulley for your motor to faster blower spinning, other idea is go for turbo on your current motor

wouldn't a smaller pulley turn the SC faster and not a bigger one?

DustenT
07-12-2006, 02:48 PM

Yes.

I'm not interested in running a big Roots blower on the m44. I am interested in a more efficient system, but I'm not about to start modifying the DASC.

andyman7931
07-12-2006, 02:51 PM
yeah, it'd be counter productive to stick a bigger blower on the dasc manifold. Also the eaton roots design loses efficiency at high boost, starting around 10psi (or so I read)

FATHER
07-12-2006, 02:53 PM
I refeer a big pulley in the motor, i know a little pulley in the blower get mor boost, but if you put a bigger one in the motor get more boost too., remember that the blower pulley have a limit

AlaskaBlue
07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Just get an S54 with tec3.

cali-ti
07-12-2006, 08:24 PM
why not your SR20DET swap?

DustenT
07-12-2006, 08:30 PM
why not your SR20DET swap?

The SR20DET swap involves a ton of custom parts (motor mounts, tranny mounts, drive shaft, etc....)

I can find a used m50 for free, or close to it, and it'll bolt right up. I don't want to do an "S" swap, because the cost is crazy high. I think it's possible to get 300-400hp from a m50 with just a thicker head gasket, turbo and tuning.

cali-ti
07-12-2006, 08:48 PM
then you might as well find a cheap 325 like you were talking and build it up. you can swap on used M suspension and drivetrain components which should be pretty cheap. just remember to strengthen all the weak points on the body and subframe pieces before you really get started. check turner motorsports for reinforcement pieces. i would do a 2-door coupe over a 4-door as well.

DustenT
07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
then you might as well find a cheap 325 like you were talking and build it up. you can swap on used M suspension and drivetrain components which should be pretty cheap. just remember to strengthen all the weak points on the body and subframe pieces before you really get started. check turner motorsports for reinforcement pieces. i would do a 2-door coupe over a 4-door as well.

I was thinking a 4 door would be nice. What's the point of having lots of power if you can't share it with 4 other people? :)

cali-ti
07-12-2006, 09:53 PM
from what i remember, the 2-door coupes are superior in terms of the frame, but i forget how. you can still share it, it's just a little more work for them to get in the back seat :)

EDIT: and if the size of the doors is anything like on the 5-series of the same vintage, they make getting in/out for the people in the front more cumbersome.

DustenT
07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
from what i remember, the 2-door coupes are superior in terms of the frame, but i forget how. you can still share it, it's just a little more work for them to get in the back seat :)

EDIT: and if the size of the doors is anything like on the 5-series of the same vintage, they make getting in/out for the people in the front more cumbersome.

Good point.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a nice OBD1 32X. I posted on bf.c asking what model/engine size is the best to start with, because I have NO experience with any of the I6 motors. From what I've been reading the M50TU seems to be a good start, those were in the 93+ 325s.