PDA

View Full Version : uuc light weight flywheel

1uvaknd
07-20-2006, 10:12 PM
well i finished the install of the ltw flywheel, and uuc clutch slave line and let me tell you i cant drive the damn car, its like i have to learn it all over again but it seems as if it wants to launch when going into first and im lovin it. also this is my first time changing a clutch and flywheel i can tell you that its not hard just time consuming, plus pelican parts tech article helped tremendiously it was a great read and helped alot so if you follow it you'll be alright. ill get back with you guys after a while to tell you how its going

HuGo
07-20-2006, 11:39 PM
why do you say that its like you need to learn to drive all over again?

pdxmotorhead
07-21-2006, 12:15 AM
With a light flywheel you have to commit to taking off, the stock 318 flywheel is heavy enough to hide sloppy clutch operation... :)

Dave

L84THSKY
07-21-2006, 02:26 AM
I did that mod a few months ago. I popped the clutch the first time I put it in gear. I've gotten used to the harder clutch, but still plan on having the M3 slave put in soon. The whole get up and go feel wears off pretty soon. After that it will just feel like that's the norm.

well i finished the install of the ltw flywheel, and uuc clutch slave line and let me tell you i cant drive the damn car, its like i have to learn it all over again but it seems as if it wants to launch when going into first and im lovin it. also this is my first time changing a clutch and flywheel i can tell you that its not hard just time consuming, plus pelican parts tech article helped tremendiously it was a great read and helped alot so if you follow it you'll be alright. ill get back with you guys after a while to tell you how its going

m-technik_ti
07-21-2006, 03:06 AM
I installed the ltw flywheel as well. It actually makes the ti feel like it has some power out of the launch.

AlaskaBlue
07-21-2006, 05:11 AM
I really noticed an acceraltion difference with the TMS flywheel. Now, just as L8 said, I don't even notice it.

HuGo
07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
if the seam kit goes all good and works well, you think i should mess with a lighter flywheel?

aceyx
07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
With a light flywheel you have to commit to taking off, the stock 318 flywheel is heavy enough to hide sloppy clutch operation... :)
So you just have to slip it more?

3DGE
07-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Well you might not notice, untill you look in the rear view mirrors and see the cars far behind...

BTW I have not done any of that yet, want to but it seems so above me...

1uvaknd
07-21-2006, 01:12 PM
alright guys here an update: after installing the flywheel on the car yesterday i didnt drive it far 4 miles the most didnt notice anygear chatter at all when stopped, however this morning i drove my girl to work and its about a 35 mile roundtrip well after about 10 or so miles i noticed that when i let go off the gas there was a sound coming from the vacinity of the flywheel/transmission. then i noticed after getting off of the highway the gear box chatter, and it kind of sounds like a diesel but very faint.

now my questions are as follows
1) that noise i hear kind of sounds like gear box chatter only a little faster so can it actually be that its my gearbox and would the uuc fluid solution work on curing it?

2) if not the gear box do you think something may have came loose in the flywheel clutch area, if so what im thinking is preasure plate screws but if thats the case then you should hear noise at standstill aslo and more then likely it would sound like a ball bearing in a tin cup, what do you guys think giveme some ideas here please?

3) i also noticed on about 3 occasion when i shifted there was a funny sound that i heard during the pressing in of the clutch pedal, now mind you that all the parts are new but i didnt change the clutch slave cylinder do you guys think that might be bad and i need to get it changed out?

4) and the last thing, if by chance i did something wrong during the install wouldnt it show the minute i tried to start the car or drive it?

bye the way what do you guys think i should keep an eye on during these first couple of weeks of breaking the setup in?

any help would be appreciated guys thanks

mohaughn
07-21-2006, 03:50 PM
I think it is pretty standard that any of the lighter flywheels that are designed to be used in racing applications will have extra noise associated with them.. If the clutch is engaging, and you can smoothly shift the car, I would say you don't have anything to worry about.

If you are paranoid you should drive the car for a few more days, get 100-200 miles on the flywheel, then open it back up and re-torque everything to make sure that nothing has come loose.

m-technik_ti
07-23-2006, 05:29 AM
I think it is pretty standard that any of the lighter flywheels that are designed to be used in racing applications will have extra noise associated with them.. If the clutch is engaging, and you can smoothly shift the car, I would say you don't have anything to worry about.

My flywheel chatters when I’m in neutral with the clutch disengaged. From what I’ve been told, it’s completely normal to experience some noise with the lighter flywheel.

Panzer_M
07-23-2006, 08:42 AM
mine chatters only on slowing down from 3k to 2k..after that no chatter.
and I am the only CFBMW LTW fly that doesn't rattle during Idle. 1-2 gears I feel i lost some power in since I climb to red fast, but 3rd and 4th can pull, and from 50mph to 110mph I've outran a few cars I wasn't expecting to pull on. I've also managed to outlaunch some e36 Ms, but they got me going through the middle gears.

Remember a LTW fly isn't for comfort. It's for performance, and that is the fine line in cars, do you want a lux O' box or do you want a bone shaking box of road burning fun? cause you really can't have both. No matter what the Auto Companies say.

1uvaknd
07-24-2006, 02:17 PM
well i have about 109 miles on the flywheel and clutch and im still getting the chattering sound, but the funny thing is its seems as if its the gear box. sounds like the nuetral chatter but just a little faster, so what i plan on doing is driving her until next weekend and then put in the fluid uuc recommends to get rid of the chatter to see if that works. also the sound only happens when i let go of the gas pedal while driving and a little at idle but other then that she shifts fine and runs like hell. im only posting this info to see if anyone else has experienced this and may know what the problem so i can curb my worries, by the way could it just be that the gear box is old and worn so she has more noise then normal?

weezer
07-25-2006, 09:55 PM
When installing LTW flywheels, would a different clutch be needed? i.e. M3 or other 6 cyl. set-ups?
I'm very interested in installing this set-up.

Panzer_M
07-25-2006, 11:17 PM
e34 M5 w/ S2 UUC, OE 318ti with some 11lb Alum Fly, you can install a M3 Clutch, Fly and M3 Slave cyl w/ Getrag and M44/42

weezer
07-25-2006, 11:36 PM
I guess my question is do I have to install an M3 clutch or stock is fine. I'm thinking while I'm in there, just replace or upgrade to a better stock?
Thanks

pdxmotorhead
07-25-2006, 11:56 PM
I read somewhere on here I thnk that the M3 clutch package weighs enough more to offset the lightened flywheel.

All the vehicles I've used lightweight flywheel and clutch packages in have had the same personality change, IE rev it and let it out like you mean it. Otherwise you beat the drivetrain. Of course these are really agressive clutches for the track.

Dave

1uvaknd
07-26-2006, 02:21 PM
ok guys im at 300miles on th setup but again im going to ask the question regarding the rattle chatter whatever its called. as im driving 65-75 mph i notice when i let go of the gas pedal its makes sort of a wierd rattling sound, again this is while driving the car and not stopped with ac on. I heard the sound while stopped and i now what it is, but this sound kinda mimickes that sound but of course is faster and while driving the car with gear engaged, do any of you guys know what it might be?

my only thought on it is that its the gears are very loose in the gear box and i should chainge out the fluid what do you guys think?

any other thoughts would be appreciated so that i could methodically check all the pionts brought up and narrow down the issue.

thanks for any help you guys give

Panzer_M
07-31-2006, 03:32 AM
is it a whirrr sound as the rpm drop without stepping on the gas?

if so welcome to LTW fly country.

pdxmotorhead
07-31-2006, 05:36 PM
This same issue plauged the 928 & 944 porsches,
You needed the dual mass flywheel to deaden the
harmonics i the gearbox, But the weight was a killer.

So the choice was noise vs response to the throttle.

I drive a Jeep wrangler to work, no top and LOUD exhaust.
Noise is a part of life for me... :)

Dave

1uvaknd
08-01-2006, 02:26 PM
panzer M its kind of like that, but it sounds like a rattling noise also. ive got around 450 miles on it now and it still does it but as ive been noticing its on and off and yes its while your driving in gear and let go of the gas pedal when the revs are coming down but once you press the gas or push in the clutch it goes away.

so what your telling me is that its normal and its just the gears rattling?

Panzer_M
08-01-2006, 03:28 PM
its while your driving in gear and let go of the gas pedal when the revs are coming down but once you press the gas or push in the clutch it goes away.

well you can lessen it with heavier fluid i've heard, but that's the sound of a LTW, although my UUC S2 is less chatty than my friend's LTW non UUC on his 97 S52 M3. That sounds like a cake mixer idle, I'm pretty close to stock sound at idle.

pdxmotorhead
08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
The dual mass flywheel is like a huge harmonic balancer,
It absorbes the firing pulses, without it you get a sort of
micro surge in the flywheel that causes small acceleration
and deacelleration in the input to the tranny, this causes
the gears to load and unload at each pulse resulting in
the "rattle", thats why heavier fluid seems to help, it
cushions the tooth to tooth impacts and quiets the noise.
You'll likely find that if you downshift it does not start
the rattle until the car has dumped some speed through
the engine. Welcome to the world of harmonics.... :)

BTw I'm not an engineer, this is the explanation given to me by a guy who is one... :)

Dave

1uvaknd
08-01-2006, 05:30 PM
thanks for the info guys and adding thicker fluid is my next step. actually i just ordered redline 75w140ns and am waiting for it to arrive well see if that helps. its funny tho how when discibing the symptoms im getting in previous post no one could seem to give me an answer. ive even called uuc and spoke with rob about it and he said its unusual to get that noise, he even suggested that something must have gone bad with the install or to just let it break in and add the thicker oil. i just want a diffinative answer to why its happening so that i dont have to worry that something did get screwed up in the install. any other thoughts on the issue would be appreciated. again thanks

pdxmotorhead
08-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Make VERY VERY sure that fluid is compatable with your tranny, Some GL ratings are not compatable with brass syncro's. Too heavy of fluid will not lube the needle bearings in the tranny correctly... especially in cold weather.

Dave

1uvaknd
08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
so what fluyid is good then cause im going on the recommendation rob at uuc gave me. initaily he stated redline 75w140ns and a can of redline atf d4. so i asked him if it would be different since i live in florida and have hot weather a mojority of the time and he stated go with 2 cans of 75w140ns instead.

pdxmotorhead
08-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Redline will usually tell you if you call their customer support line, Tell them your tracking the car and you were told to go up to a heavier viscosity rating and want the best choice... I suspect their going to tell you to use either shockproof or heavy shockproof.

Sorry but while UUC is a good source, It gives me the heebies to think about the chemistry you'd be screwing around with mixing GL4 and ATF.... :eek: It sounds logical but I would rather have the noise than underlubrication in the cluster bearings... My personnel paranoia... :)

Dave

1uvaknd
08-02-2006, 01:28 AM
dave thanks for the info ill give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Panzer_M
08-19-2006, 08:48 AM
How is the Stage II treating you?

Still going good with the MT90..no noise from the flywheel, not that would hear light chatter against the Urethane mounts, Trans, Subframe, etc..they carry some noise into the cabin, but hell I live for the noise.

Urethane RSM from Ground control coming next month.