PDA

View Full Version : Auto-X Pics

robcarync
07-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Here are two pics of me at my first auto cross. They are small copies, and I will upload larger pics later, and maybe another. I also have a video of a few cars I need to compress and upload for you all to see.

-Rob

Tyler
07-24-2006, 08:04 PM
So you had fun with the ti?

davep-uk
07-24-2006, 08:39 PM
wish we had something like that over here. looks like fun.

robcarync
07-24-2006, 11:53 PM
yeah it was tons of fun...indeed

i had 5 timed runs...

first was 45 seconds...then i went to 44...then 43.9....43.2...and 42.xx

so i got better each run...and i never got lost on the course and such...i thought the automatic transmission would be slow but i left it in auto mode and stuck it in 2, and it was pretty quick

man i love being a race car driver!

robcarync
07-25-2006, 07:39 AM
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=688&ppuser=492

few auto-x pics that are a bit bigger.

still need to compress that video i made...

IndianaTravis
07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Glad you had fun! Give us more details about how it went and what you plan to do next.

ilLio
07-25-2006, 07:38 PM
I dunno which is more appealing the racing or that 9 stair ^_^

robcarync
07-26-2006, 04:10 AM
so i got up around 6:45 am to make the hour and a half trek to greenville for the auto cross...i copied the directions down wrong from google earth, and there was a bad wreck on the highway on the way there, making me not get ther euntil 9:28, 2 minutes before regsitration ends. i almost didnt get a chance to run, but i was able to go after i talked to some people.

it took me a while to figure out exactly how the event runs, and as i was lining my car up, i met purple turtle as he was checkng out my car. i was talking to him and explained i didnt get there until late, so i got to 'run the course' instead of walking...and only saw it briefly. he then let me ride with him so i could see it again before i drove. it helped a lot. he also rode with me, since i was suposed to ride with a non novice rider.

i missed the 'mandatory' novice meeting at 9:15, so technically i wasnt even supposed to drive, but oh well.

my car is classed as dsp since i have an x brace. without the x brace, id be in sts. i was thinking...would it be benefitial to (not necessarily right now) but maybe next season, to take it off so i get bumped down a class. i was also thinking that im not that good yet for the x brace/class to really affect my performance/ranking.

anyway, over all i did very well...it was tons of fun...i got 5 timed runs...and i imporved each one, only clipping one cone.

http://rfclark.homeip.net/rob/videos/ti/USLautox.wmv

here are my first run, last run, a 400 + hp camaro, and a couple m3s

i definently plan on autoxing again...hopefully i will register to be a tarheel sports car club member and race the entire season next year, but we will see!

http://rfclark.homeip.net/rob/videos/cys/videos/motivepromo.wmv

video with my 9 stair nose slide at the end...

which is better...3 year old skate clip or cool auto cross.....hmmm

PurpleTurtle
07-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Rob did great at his first autocross! It is doing it the hard way to miss the walk through time and the novice lecture. He picked up on it very quick though. I noticed a lot more tire noice in his last run than his first! He got a lot quicker!

The PurpleTurtle ran good. I was in the street tire (TIR) class with G Stock PAX times. I am great at creating tire noice, which in my case is not a good thing. I tend to over work the tires, which is not fast. I am trying to pick a good line and get on the gas early, but not overload the tires. I am getting better, placed 4th out of 9 in TIR class (less than .2 from 3rd, 1.5 sec from first).

My son-in-law won DSP in his yellow 1990 VW Corrrado. He was in the same run group with Rob and me, so we did not get any pictures. Maybe next time we will have someone to be photographer for us.

Next autocross is mid August in Greensboro. Two day joint event with 4 clubs. I do not know if I will make it (son-in-law has to work that Saturday). I might go it alone. How about you Rob? Anyone else in NC?

robcarync
07-27-2006, 05:44 AM
yeah i am planning on going if i get pre registered in time!

i also did a few calculations and realized that without the x brace...and using the STS pax ratio, i would have had a final indexed time about 1.5 seconds quicker and moved up a few spaces (10 spaces overall, about 5 out of the novice class)...i think that for the next auto cross season i will take it off to take advantage of the STS index