PDA

View Full Version : this is drivign me crazy!!!!

Bobbak
07-24-2006, 08:31 PM
ok please someone help me everytime i go over a bump or drive over almost anythign i hear this rattlign noise in the bottom of my car i went to the back of the car and wiggled the exhause pipe it it normal for it to move alittle to the left and right but not alot about 1inch to teh left and right well i dont know what it is please if someone has any ideas i would like to hear them

FATHER
07-24-2006, 08:44 PM
May be you a have a dog under your car

JK

You need put more information or pictures, but look in front, under the front bumper, there have many plastic covers,also look back behind the car in the muffler weld,about 5 months my car have a sound rear, i check and not see problems, so i went to the mechanic, he find a broke weld, in the muffler support, is rear close to the bumper

Bluebimma
07-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Have you checked the heat shields?

adamscki_c
07-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I have the exact same thing and its driving me crazy! I changed the rubber mountings on the exhaust as it was a little loose. I checked the heat shields... and yes one was almost falling off, so I secured that with the help of some washers. Jumped back in my car thinking yes I have finally gotten rid of the annoying rattles.... took it for a test drive and guess what? STILL THERE!!! Obviously I got rid of a little noise (I assume) but its still annoying. ANyone have any other ideas? It is so difficult to pinpoint where its coming from, I am leaning towards thinking its coming from the wheels somehow... dunno how yet!

Bobbak
07-24-2006, 09:22 PM
ok ty guys ill take a look inder for broken welds and heat shiels but one thign where is teh heat shield and what does it do

Bluebimma
07-24-2006, 09:24 PM
what about the spare tire tools in the back...are they all secure? Dropped any sockets in the engine compartment? Have you checked your strut mounts for looseness?

JPerfect
07-24-2006, 09:44 PM
I had the same problem, it was the heat shield. I heard the rattling to the day the heatshield met it's maker.

A speedbump in Secaucus, NJ.

Bobbak
07-24-2006, 10:10 PM
k ty im gonna go check out the heat shield thats next to the cat right?????

Kraln
07-24-2006, 11:17 PM
A speedbump made your heatshield? I guess MD state inspections made mine...

adempster1
07-25-2006, 01:43 AM
A had a similar problem it was driving me crazy, I put it up on the lift and nothing, I could find S*** loose. So I went after my wheels,,, It was both of my rear brake pads, they were loose. I got me some metal shims, now their tight and problem one.

Couverman98682
07-25-2006, 05:36 AM
rocks rattling around on top of the heatshield?

mischief
07-25-2006, 06:13 AM
check your front and rear brakes there's a metal sheet behind the rotor
on my car that sheet rusted and part of it was loss everything i hit a bump
i would hear a rattling sound
if its not the heat shield then check your brakes

robcarync
07-25-2006, 08:08 AM
my exhaust heat shield got hit on a speed bump and the sheet metal was ripped back a bit, so it was rattling on the exhaust and making lots of noise...i ended up just snipping the broken piece off and tacking it back up and the sound went away

adamscki_c
08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Well after spending many happy hours under the car not knowing what i was doing, i decided to wait a few days as it was due for its inspection 2 service (OUCH) anyway cut a long story short I asked the dealer to see if they could figure it out. At the end of the day they came back with the fact it was missing the center exhaust support and did I want them to replACE IT FOR £50 (no i'll do it myself thanks). Anyway when I picked up the car.... no noise!! woohoo! But what was it? Checked through the work sheet log thing they give you... and also noticed my hand brake (park brake) was much tighter, they had adjusted the park brake shoes? (I think thats what tyou call it?) anyway result! Brake much tighter, MUCH less noise, still very faint rattle if you go over a really bad bit of road, so wondering about brake pads that someone else mentioned earlier. So basically check your park brake shoes and pads! Worked for me. Rattle free for the first time in a year!!

bmvw
08-04-2006, 12:23 AM
I had a similar noise and it was coming from loose baffles in the Cat. You could tap the cat and hear all the loose junk inside. Fortunately is was still under warranty, other wise would have been expensive (OBD-II)

scabzzzz
09-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Yeah. i was gonna say junk inside your cat. ... seems to be a common problem i've noticed on obd2 cars