PDA

View Full Version : First Autocross

hhspunter
07-28-2006, 04:15 AM
So I did my first autocross in my almost bone stock 318i and was about 4 seconds behind some m3's... i smoked some porsches too. it was really fun. i have a couple guys helping me out too that have been doing this a while. i can't wait till the nest one. bmw vs porsche club again, this time on porsche's track. we won by three seconds

michaelhofastcar
07-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Sounds like fun. Wondering how the look on the face of those Porsche guys.

mohaughn
07-29-2006, 05:49 AM
The porsche guys had to know that their cars were not being driven that well... There is no porsche that a Ti is competitive against.. Get the same cars on a track and the Ti will be left in the dust...

hhspunter
07-30-2006, 04:21 AM
yeah... but these porsche guys couldn't drive.... they were "creative" with how they went through the course.... i wouldn't have thought you could go through cone gates like some of those guys did. their faces were excquisite when the back tires broke loose and i drifted through a few turns and didn't hit a cone... hands were up in the air, it was priceless.

mohaughn
07-31-2006, 08:57 PM
I guess it depends on how tight the track is, but I would think you could go around faster not fishtailing the ass end. Drifting isn't about speed, and if you watch people going around a track really fast, they are usually not sliding the ass end. And I'm not talking about sprint cars on a dirt track.

I can only assume that if you are going through a corner sideways you are not at 100% throttle when you hit the apex, if you even hit the apex. Drifting may look cool, but drifting isn't the fastest way around a track.

hhspunter
08-01-2006, 09:25 PM
I guess it depends on how tight the track is, but I would think you could go around faster not fishtailing the ass end. Drifting isn't about speed, and if you watch people going around a track really fast, they are usually not sliding the ass end. And I'm not talking about sprint cars on a dirt track.

I can only assume that if you are going through a corner sideways you are not at 100% throttle when you hit the apex, if you even hit the apex. Drifting may look cool, but drifting isn't the fastest way around a track.

yeah, i know that.... i messed up and got a little sideways and tried to keep going fast instead of slowing down and getting full control, so i kept sliding. it did slow me down a little... which stinks cause that was my fastest lap... which means i could have gone much faster. i ended up with a 1:10, but i hit one cone, so really it would have been 1:08, plus i slowed myself down by sliding.
but it's gonna be good next time... gonna play around with tire pressure

aparatchik
08-01-2006, 11:07 PM
AutoX rule #1: slow down to go faster :)

tire pressures make a ton of difference, as do basic suspension mods (swaybars, etc.). Definitely walk the course before your first run so you can get the lay of the land and determine your braking and turn in points. Just keep in mind that if you're scrubbing, your losing time!

hhspunter
08-04-2006, 02:32 AM
AutoX rule #1: slow down to go faster :)

tire pressures make a ton of difference, as do basic suspension mods (swaybars, etc.). Definitely walk the course before your first run so you can get the lay of the land and determine your braking and turn in points. Just keep in mind that if you're scrubbing, your losing time!

that's what i hear... i'm so excited about the next one