PDA

View Full Version : Damsel in Distress - Tranny Prob - Couple ???

BMerSmiles
07-28-2006, 05:23 AM
I had to sell the car because of the back problem. I appreciate all your help.

aceyx
07-28-2006, 06:34 AM
I think you can find a used transmission for this motor for less than the cost of cracking open the case.

Get in touch with the local BMW specialty shops; it's possible they have one laying around.

Variance
07-28-2006, 07:06 AM
As for your clutch question, you actually don't need to push it in all the way to disengage it. The pedal itself has a much larger range of motion than required, so just experiment to see how much you truly need to depress it; you'll be surprised.

BMerSmiles
07-28-2006, 07:49 AM
thank you both:smile: ...i'll look into the cost for replacing it with a used one...aiming for another getrag? newest year possible is best I suppose...
and thank you for your clutch suggestion...I'll try that once the car's back in my possession...I wouldn't have thought to do that!

I've been driving my sister's old mazda miata these past two weeks, its been somewhat liberating, shockingly, cause the clutch in that is a breeze - compared to the resistance on mine which nearly pushes me out of my seat at times, and the shifter is short..I can't recall if it's always been so stiff, but I also probably thought I needed to be more forceful with it too, not getting and staying in gear well..
so thank you again!

BMerSmiles
07-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey all, for any of you who are interested or experiencing the same problem...I thought I'd share the details of the SB my friend was able to acquire for me. I had heard about this SB before, but hadn't been able to find it anywhere, until now.

This is service bulletin 23 02 99
SUBJECT:
Transmission Jumps Out of 1st or 2nd Gear Under Load
MODEL:
E36 with S5D-250G (Getrag manual transmission) and M42, M44, M50 or M52 engines.
Situation:
The transmission may jump out of 1st or 2nd gear with engine load.
Cause:
The guide sleeve for 1st and 2nd gear may have been incorrectly machined on Getrag S5D-250G transmissions installed on E36 vehicles with the above listed engines produced up to 4/98.
A new machining process for the 1st and 2nd gear guide sleeve which eliminates the above situation on all S5D-250G transmissions was introduced in production on vehicles produced from 4/98.
Correction:
If a customer complaint is received, first verify that the external gear shift linkage and clutch system are operating properly.
If the external gear shift linkage and the clutch system are functioning correctly and the problem of 1st or 2nd gear jumping out is still present, the transmission should be replaced.

I'm gonna go ahead and replace the clutch too...I'll probably just go with whatever the mechanic suggests, unless anyone has any recommendations

L84THSKY
07-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Oh, and about the lower back problem, I have just the remedy. Wanna buy my other lumbar seat retrofit? I bought a set, but plan on only installing the driver's side. You can use the other lumbar to install in your driver's side.

Hey all, for any of you who are interested or experiencing the same problem...I thought I'd share the details of the SB my friend was able to acquire for me. I had heard about this SB before, but hadn't been able to find it anywhere.

This is service bulletin 23 02 99
SUBJECT:
Transmission Jumps Out of 1st or 2nd Gear Under Load
MODEL:
E36 with S5D-250G (Getrag manual transmission) and M42, M44, M50 or M52 engines.
Situation:
The transmission may jump out of 1st or 2nd gear with engine load.
Cause:
The guide sleeve for 1st and 2nd gear may have been incorrectly machined on Getrag S5D-250G transmissions installed on E36 vehicles with the above listed engines produced up to 4/98.
A new machining process for the 1st and 2nd gear guide sleeve which eliminates the above situation on all S5D-250G transmissions was introduced in production on vehicles produced from 4/98.
Correction:
If a customer complaint is received, first verify that the external gear shift linkage and clutch system are operating properly.
If the external gear shift linkage and the clutch system are functioning correctly and the problem of 1st or 2nd gear jumping out is still present, the transmission should be replaced.

I'm gonna go ahead and replace the clutch too...I'll probably just go with whatever the mechanic suggests, unless anyone has any recommendations

BMerSmiles
07-28-2006, 09:34 PM
hmmm...i'll consider the lumbar support if you can give me more info. I have the base active vinyl/leather seats, yours look like fancy vaders, so would it even fit mine? I found a seat support I like but it's $200 and I can't get into that now, but if yours is better, I'd consider it a little further down the road.

L84THSKY
07-28-2006, 09:47 PM
This support is installed inside the seat, behind the foam back. It has a switch and a pump and is tied into the fuse box. This kit is all OEM from BMW, only available in Europe.

Do you have a small knock out plastic cover behind the rear seat adjustment? There are 3 levers on the side of my seats, and behind the last lever is a punch out for the switch.

I'll take a picture of mine, and post it.

The kit cost me $539.00 for the set, I'm offering one lumbar kit for half. It's brand new still in the box. Free shipping

hmmm...i'll consider the lumbar support if you can give me more info. I have the base active vinyl/leather seats, yours look like fancy vaders, so would it even fit mine? I found a seat support I like but it's $200 and I can't get into that now, but if yours is better, I'd consider it a little further down the road.