PDA

View Full Version : Reliability

JDR 007
07-31-2006, 08:19 AM
realistically how reliable is the TI? Im thinking of selling my 99 g20t (which is the most reliable car I have ever owned) and getting somthing diff. The TI looks and drives great but how reliable. My family has a 2003 c320 and it is in the shop every other month for something. I need something that won't cost me a arm and a leg like the mercedez. Almost all my driving is highway and I need a good commuter car.

adempster1
07-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Every one will have their own opinion according to their experience with the TI. Here are my two cents on your question. I got my 98TI back in November; she had 179K miles on her. I live in Philadelphia but I’m stationed at Ft. Dix NJ which is 55 mils each way highway for the most part. Since I got her the only things that I had to fix on her were the Starter $75.00 to have the OEM rebuilt, Radiator $75.00 used, Thermostat $54.00 new from the dealer. I did not need a clutch but since I had no idea how old the one it had was I installed a new clutch and kit $276.00 for the OEM parts. All work has been done by me or with the help of a mechanic; she has not seen the dealer or an independent shop. I tune her up regularly and use only synthetic oil on her (Mobile1). The handling on the TI is GREAT, she’s not the fastest one on the road but she surely isn’t the slowest. Now she’s at 205K miles and in need of some speed sensors but to consider how much more some others need by the time they reach 200k miles I’m not complaining I’m happy with her. She still runs strung and gives me around 29-32 highway miles per gallon and I’m not a conservative driver.

1996 328ti
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
realistically how reliable is the TI?A lot depends on the previous owner. If he/she did not take care of the little problems you can find yourself with a money pit. The same could be said about any car.

Suspension components need to be replaced more than an an import but that is what makes a BMW drive like a BMW. As long as fluids and inspections have been performed on a regular basis, you will have a reliable car.

The car does have some annoying problems. Sagging headliner and a poor window regulator design. But this is not unique to the ti.

Figure what model you want, base, active or sport and go from there.

btschafer
07-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Depends, of course. I can tell you that in eleven years of daily driving my ti it has not once left me stranded. But then I do a lot of track/autox stuff and a whole lot of preventative maintenance. Great car, easy to work on (mostly), and dead nuts reliable if cared for correctly.

andyman7931
07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
I have 2 ti's. Both around 100k miles. One has been perfect and only needed regular maintenance items. The other has been a lemon and needed major engine work and steering parts. I'm sure it's all to do with the previous owners of each. If you pay a decent price you can get one with good documented history and you should have good luck

pdxmotorhead
07-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Bought our TI with 80K on it.

Now has 100K.

SO far, in a year....

1 window regulator. ($250 )
1 02 Sensor. ($145)
1 Air intake tube. ($25 Big rubber hose connecting MAF to Throttle Body.)

Oil changes when the Dash indicatior says to....
1 Peak tool to read the codes, reset error lights etc..

So far much cheaper than the Honda Civic of the
same year we used to own. Heck I can tune this
thing up for 50 bucks in parts. No adjustments needed.

Dave

tastade
07-31-2006, 06:39 PM
BMWs are reasonably reliable (especially the inline 6 in the 5 series and most of the 3 series'). Parts and maintenance are reasonable (not as expensive as you might think), and they seem to run fairly reliably to 200k miles +/- depending on how they are cared for. Mine hasn't been babied and has been very little trouble at 136k miles (I have driven it 20k miles). I fully expect it to last another 50k miles without serious work. The fully loaded BMWs tend to be more troublesome due to their extra electronics complexity, the 318ti has few options/electronics and should prove to be more reliable. This is true with most cars.

This Infiniti G20T (Nissan Primera) is also a very reliable car, one of the best cars sold by Nissan in the USA in my personal opinion, with the problem being it is slightly under powered for its price (you will find the same is true with the 318ti). Both cars are similar, nice luxury cars that are low on power. Great for people who want quality, but still want good fuel efficiency, etc. The G20t is FWD and sedan only, which is why I would lean toward the 318i/ti as they are RWD and are offered in a hatchback (ti).

Why do you want to sell your G20t?

DustenT
07-31-2006, 06:50 PM
realistically how reliable is the TI? Im thinking of selling my 99 g20t (which is the most reliable car I have ever owned) and getting somthing diff. The TI looks and drives great but how reliable. My family has a 2003 c320 and it is in the shop every other month for something. I need something that won't cost me a arm and a leg like the mercedez. Almost all my driving is highway and I need a good commuter car.

Turbo the Infinity. Your car has a SR20 in it, boost it.

JDR 007
07-31-2006, 08:26 PM
The G20t has been great but I wanted to get something Different. I am selling the g20t for 7-8 grand and want to buy something for 4-5 (depending on what my car sells for) and with the extra money put lambo doors on the TI (or what ever car I end up with), I think that would be pretty sweet. I got used to the luxury interior and now I can't see myself in a civic or somthing like that. Also I wanted somthing safe and cheap so I am leaning heavely toward a older TI. Is that stupid? I don't know, What do you guys think?

I would also be interested in A trade if anyone is interested : )

DustenT
07-31-2006, 08:53 PM
The G20t has been great but I wanted to get something Different. I am selling the g20t for 7-8 grand and want to buy something for 4-5 (depending on what my car sells for) and with the extra money put lambo doors on the TI (or what ever car I end up with), I think that would be pretty sweet. I got used to the luxury interior and now I can't see myself in a civic or somthing like that. Also I wanted somthing safe and cheap so I am leaning heavely toward a older TI. Is that stupid? I don't know, What do you guys think?

I would also be interested in A trade if anyone is interested : )

I'm guessing you didn't do a search for lambo doors on this site, did you? :rolleyes:
7 pages of lambo door hatred.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7840&highlight=lambo

Please don't put lambo doors on a 318ti.

JDR 007
07-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanxs for pointing me to the forums...after seeing pics, the doors don't look that great lamboed (if that is a word). But still with the extra grand or 2 I could do somthing sweet to the car...Not as ricey as lambo doors I promise.

On A seperate note why are their barely any 318ti for sale? I live in mason ohio.

Sergey
07-31-2006, 09:38 PM
I think a lot depends on your perspective, expectations and how informed you are. Selling your reliable car that you know and have been maintaining and getting something else, be it ti or not, is a gamble.

IMO, if you're comfortable spending about a grand a year on maintenance and repairs, depending on how much you drive, a well-cared-for by previous owner ti will serve you well. There're people here on the forum with 260K on theirs.

Don't get lambo doors, save the money to fix or mod things on the ti instead.

As others have mentioned, there're some issues, but a lot of them are
- known to the participants on this forum and
- can be fixed by anyone with average mechanical abilities and hand tools.
None of these common issues will leave you stranded.

If you take the TI to the dealer for all maintanence and every little issue, it can get expensive.

If you join BMWCCA and get parts discount from your local dealer, buy the Bentley manual, find a decent independent BMW shop near you for work that's beyond your capability and ask questions here on 318ti.org, you should be fine.

Regularly changed high-quality lubricants and original BMW coolant are really important.

Regards,
Sergey.

Etienne
08-04-2006, 03:27 PM
and with the extra money put lambo doors on the TI (or what ever car I end up with),

DustenT beat me to it, but I could couldn't help but quote and smile :). Reading through the lambo door thread is always a good source of entertainment.

Btw, did anyone from this forum have anything to do with the comment about lambo doors in the editorial in Roundel a few months ago?

ElfinForest318ti
08-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Bottom line, the cost of ownership of a Japanese car vs German car is less. I've owned German (Porsche/BMW) and Japanese (Toyotas/Mazda) for many years. What you have to decide is the extra cost worth the increased driver satisfaction you get with a German car? Then go with the ti, its so fun to drive. Or are you trying to get from point A to point B for the lowest cost with the highest reliability? Then stick with a known reliable Japanese car.

pdxmotorhead
08-05-2006, 02:53 AM
My 1985 Toyota pickup, My 1994 Wrangler, The civic I used to own, ALL cost more to keep runing than my TI.

Just for fun pick your favorite 5 cars from 5 marques and
call the dealer and ask for the cost of the 60000 mile service.

Hold on to your chair when you do it...... Especially for Mitsubishi and Acura products...

ElfinForest318ti
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
A dealer 60K service can be costly regardless of make. What adds to the cost of ownership is what happens between rountine service. In my experience with Toyotas, I have not had to replace window regulators, O2 sensors, and the like. With Toyotas, it been tires, brakes, just the stuff that is expected to wear out.

tastade
08-07-2006, 05:45 PM
The G20t has been great but I wanted to get something Different. I am selling the g20t for 7-8 grand and want to buy something for 4-5 ... I got used to the luxury interior and now I can't see myself in a civic or somthing like that. Also I wanted somthing safe and cheap so I am leaning heavely toward a older TI. Is that stupid? I don't know, What do you guys think?

I understand; I like to drive different vehicles. I was just asking why you were selling your G20t, because like that car the 318ti is a little under powered. Again, I agree with you on the luxury statement. I can't see myself driving a car with a cheap interior. I would rather buy a used luxury car over a new economy car.

What I love about the 318ti (and the G20t) is that they are relatively efficient luxury cars. Most luxury cars come with big engines and poor fuel economy. The 318ti has the nice fit and finish, leather trimmed interior, and everything feels reasonably high quality, but it still has a nice 4 cyl. that gets decent fuel economy, and the car feels nimble and sporty. I also love the rear wheel drive.

Overall the 318ti is a nice and relatively rare car (which is whatI like about it). Sounds like it might suit your needs.