PDA

View Full Version : Air Flow Meter upgrade?

Adog2107
07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
The MAF in my ti just went bad...is it possible to upgrade to an M3 MAF rather then spend 400 for a regular MAF (or are they all the same?)

DustenT
07-31-2006, 03:42 PM
The MAF in my ti just went bad...is it possible to upgrade to an M3 MAF rather then spend 400 for a regular MAF (or are they all the same?)

Simple answer: NO.

Did you try cleaning it? There is a special cleaner for MAF sensors, available at most car parts stores.

Adog2107
07-31-2006, 04:19 PM
Are there any upgrades out there?

mohaughn
08-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Yes there are kits out there for m42's. You can run the larger MAF with a piggyback controller to regulate the signal to the main ECU.

You can find them for the e30's. It should work with maybe some minor changes on a 95 318ti.

All you have to do is change out the air flow sensor, have new collars/fasteners to connect the new MAF to your intake boot, and the air filter box.. Then mount the piggyback ecu and wire it up...

You may have to drill a hole for the air intake temperature sensor, or most of the piggyback ECUs have a dummy signal where it just says the air temp is always the same if you don't want to reattach the air temp sensor.

Not sure how much of a difference it would make for a car that already has a hot film sensor. It is a more efficient design than the older mechanical vane sensors.

Adog2107
08-02-2006, 05:35 PM
nm not that big a deal then...getting ready to drop an M50 into my car...older bro is buying an S52 for his e34 and I get the m50...so no need to drill and whatnot when the car is getting new power...thanks though