PDA

View Full Version : Got Sirius

L84THSKY
08-01-2006, 03:07 AM
My GF kept bugging me, so I paid up and am now listening to it online. My car install will be done tomorrow. The unit will hang down below the rear view mirror. All wires are hiden under the sunroof motor panel. I just need to find a way to mount the unit on the rear view mirror neck.

BmWwHiPPin
08-01-2006, 03:12 AM
SOOOOOO........ Do you like it?

bmwracerchick
08-01-2006, 03:18 AM
I have XM and I love it!....but I installed myself lol

L84THSKY
08-01-2006, 04:21 AM
I'm offended. I had to wait a whole 50 minutes to hear Jackson Browne on "The Bridge". :tongue:

Just using my computer to listen now, will hook up my satellite receiver tomorrow. So far so good.:biggrin:

SOOOOOO........ Do you like it?

Couverman98682
I put mine in the ashtray. Just mounted it right in there with some black duct tape. It sits at the right angle for veiwing and hasn't come loose for over a year now. The knob and buttons are right at my fingertips for easy use. I have a MONSTER tape adapter to get the sound into my factory reciever. The antenna is mounted on the back of the roof and the wire runs under the rain gutter trim and behind my glovebox and then to the radio.

L84THSKY
I installed it myself too.

I have XM and I love it!....but I installed myself lol

Couverman98682
08-01-2006, 04:24 AM
I love the CHILL channel #35, Hair Nation, Revolution, Howard 100. Seriously is there any better way to get tunes into your car?

L84THSKY
08-01-2006, 04:24 AM
I like having the free space that I made by removing the cigarette lighter and ashtray. By mounting it under the rearview mirror, I won't have to look down to read the info on the satellite receiver. My Blaupunkt headunit already has a remote on my steering wheel.

Will post pics when I finish the install.

I put mine in the ashtray. Just mounted it right in there with some black duct tape. It sits at the right angle for veiwing and hasn't come loose for over a year now. The knob and buttons are right at my fingertipsfor easy use. I have a MONSTER tape adapter to get the sound into my factory reciever. The antenna is mounted on the back of the roof and the wire runs under the rain gutter trim and behind my glovebox and then to the radio.

L84THSKY
12-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Here are the final pics of the install.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5050/satellite1oh4.jpg
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/6265/satellite2vb9.jpg

Tyler
12-26-2006, 05:23 AM
Thats would bug the hell out of me being there. You don't find that annoying?

L84THSKY
12-26-2006, 05:36 AM
What bugs me is taking my eyes off the road to look down. This setup can be seen very easily. My remote control on my steering wheel means I can make all the adjustments I need, again, without taking my eyes off the road. Whatever reduced windshield view I have, is made up by being a safer driver while playing my music.

That's exactly where I wanted it, and that's exactly where I mounted. I'm a man of my word.:cool:

Thats would bug the hell out of me being there. You don't find that annoying?

Tyler
12-26-2006, 05:42 AM
I understand,just too me it would be too distracting when all lit up. Do you have a stock radio? I know they have satelite ready radios out there.

L84THSKY
12-26-2006, 05:51 AM
You can see my Blaupunkt radio partially in the pic. As my signature says, I have Blaupunkt CD player, mp3 player and satellite receiver.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2381/satellite3bw5.jpg

Do you have a stock radio?

3DGE
12-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Holy cow thats a great setup!! This is now On my list...

ALso I love your interior colortone, I LOVE WHITE!!
I want your vader seats and door panels

angel318ti
12-26-2006, 08:54 AM
I got an alpine head unit for my b-day and it was already SAT radio ready so I dont have to worry about mounting aditional units that are not necessarily hide-away. BTW XM is better!
:rockon:

mohaughn
12-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Everybodies preference will be different.. I don't care for XM because it seems to cater almost exclusively to rock and roll fans... Although they do have a blues channel that is really really good.

And on a lot of the channels they just play weird stuff that you have never even heard of before. Sirius has a better rotation than FM radio stations and they tend to stick to the hits or more populars songs better than XM does.

L84THSKY
12-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the compliment. When I decide on an idea, I go for it.

Holy cow thats a great setup!! This is now On my list...

The car is actually two tone beige, not white. What is it about the door panels that you like?

ALso I love your interior colortone, I LOVE WHITE!!
I want your vader seats and door panels

L84THSKY
12-26-2006, 05:39 PM
If that were fact, there wouldn't be two choices. I bought Sirius because channel #10 played alot of Jackson Browne. Now that channel is exclusively "The Who" channel, pissed me off big time.

BTW XM is better!
:rockon:

PettitWC
12-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I have both XM and Siruis at home and in cars. I had XM first and fell in love with it especially because of the Baseball package. Now I'm more familiar with Sirius and I'm starting to lean that way. Plus it was awesome during college football season because I drove up to Pennsylvania and way down into Virginia to see my brother's games on Saturdays and I could always listen to football all the way home. In my ti I have Sirius and I have been meaning to post some pictures of it but haven't gotten around to it. I can't remember the model number but it's a really neat piece that has a feature where you can save songs you hear on the radio and then detach part of the receiver and take it with you like an ipod but you can't get live radio on it. It also has a house adapter where you can take the same piece into your house and get live radio hooked into your stereo. It has a simple magnetic antenna that i have on the roof. It also has remotes for inside and in the car. The only down side is that it plugs into the lighter so I'm in the market for a multi-outlet lighter adapter now which will just add more clutter.

anyways, here's a picture. I will put more in my gallery. Some of them are out of focus but I'm too lazy to go take more.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9882/img1675eu8.jpg

L84THSKY
12-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Mine used a cigarette lighter power adapter too. I opened up the adapter, removed the circuit board, and installed it inside the cover for the sunroof. Then I tapped ignition power from the sunroof cable.

The only down side is that it plugs into the lighter so I'm in the market for a multi-outlet lighter adapter now which will just add more clutter.

PettitWC
12-26-2006, 08:38 PM
maybe i could do something like that with the power window switches or lighter power.

thanks!

L84THSKY
12-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Just pop open the adapter, and remove the guts. Install the guts where ever you like, then tap power from somewhere.:smile:

maybe i could do something like that with the power window switches or lighter power.

thanks!

PettitWC
12-26-2006, 08:48 PM
that'll really clean it up, i have like 3 or 4o feet of power cord sitting under the passenger seat...

SDKmann
01-02-2007, 04:26 AM
I just installed the S50 unit (same as PettitWC) on my cousins accord. Its absolutely seamless, you cant find a cord anywhere. I have XM but I love my cousins S50 unit. I like the channels on XM much better but the receiver from serius is much better.

PettitWC
01-02-2007, 04:35 PM
yeah, it's awesome. I just hard wired it into the lighter power and it looks sooo much better

SDKmann
01-02-2007, 07:21 PM
I relocated the lighter to under the dash and ran the antenna wire around the right side of the dash and the power around the left side and connected the power to the lighter under the dash on the passenger side. Then I got a putty knife and pushed the wires down into the sides of the dash and ran the antenna wire underneath the plastic door sills and moldings. Its absolutely seamless, there is only one spot where you can see about a half inch of antenna wire.

PettitWC
01-02-2007, 09:23 PM
mine just has visible cords comming out right from the unit itself and then they go into the console just a couple of inches away.
my antenna wire runs around the passenger footwell and up over the window and under the trim to the back window where the antenna is just outside

L84THSKY
04-17-2007, 01:56 AM
My Blaupunkt Satellite Receiver was on the blink. I had heard nightmares about it, but decided to get it anyway. The unit died a few weeks ago. Here comes the cool part. You can send in your bad receiver, and get a completely new one with all components in the box for just $15.00. Bluapunkt admitted they made a design that ran too hot. So you send in your old one, no receipt necessary, and they send a new one that has a built in fan. This solved the problem. You can even hear the fan humming away inside, don't know how they fit it in there. I'm one happy camper now.:biggrin: