PDA

View Full Version : Clunk when going into Park from Drive

bonez
08-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Shame on me.. I've had the car for 7 years and either i've been very inattentive or this has slowly crept up and I just noticed it. (I dont drive the bimmer as consistently as I use to either)

When I put the car into park, there usually is a clunking sound.. is this normal or is my tranny on its way out? Oh yea.. if this matters, my car is a 98 sport with auto with about 76k miles

thanks

1rstbmw!
08-09-2006, 12:17 AM
My ti does the same.

Bluebimma
08-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Isnt it just the load being taken off the drivetrain? If you put it in reverse (auto), i believe the back end hikes up because of the load.

Panzer_M
08-09-2006, 01:23 AM
clunk in the rear or under you or in front?

CirrusSR22
08-09-2006, 04:32 AM
Isnt it just the load being taken off the drivetrain? If you put it in reverse (auto), i believe the back end hikes up because of the load.

Yep, That's what I have. It's not really a clunk, as in, it doesn't sound like anything's wrong. But going in and out of Park, the rear squats up/or down.

Panzer_M
08-09-2006, 04:37 AM
so when you go from a dead stop to motion you get the noise?

Have you checked you RSMs? Possible you Subframe mounts for wear? Trailing arm bushing I'd look at while down there, but I would suspect them at first.

b.u.ti-ful
09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Mine goes up in the rear when I shift into reverse and drops down when I shift to drive. Sounds like we all have this symptom - I just bought this 1996, so I don't know what's normal. Please tell me this is normal!