PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body Spacer

weezer
08-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I've been reading about Throtle Body Spacers; supposedly, they are able to add between 4-15hp by extending (by 1/4-3/4 inch) the space between throttle body and intake manifold and creates slightly less turbulence and dissipates a little more heat. This in turn creates the extra hp and torque in the mid range rpms. Just wondering if anyone here has ever used this?

FATHER
08-20-2006, 03:16 PM
I never read abuot that before, is very interesting...

andyman7931
08-20-2006, 06:13 PM
it's a popular thing to do on the jeep wrangler message board that I lurk on. I'm skeptical but was planning on making one for my jeep one day just to test it out, is there benefit for our cars too? I could probably get some made on the cheap if so.

pdxmotorhead
08-21-2006, 07:03 AM
I have one on my Jeep wrangler. :)

It moves the power curve DOWN, it does not add HP.

I have a fairly modded motor, I bumped to a bigger throttle body and wow it woke up but my bottom end torque dropped.
The spacer brought that back in line.

So if you need more low end at the expense of top end rev's it helps a lot.

Dave

dkerchner
03-31-2009, 03:17 AM
Do the spacers exist for our 318ti's? I've been looking into getting one, but haven't had too much luck finding any.

aceyx
03-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Longer intake = torque.
Short intake = hp.

It's not a matter of making more power, it's about moving that power around (the powerband).

pdxmotorhead
04-18-2009, 09:46 AM
All it is is a plate that matches the bottom of the throttle body.

The one on my jeep is about 1" thick.

I doubt it would help a TI we already have a 2 length intake manifold.

Its way more likely to get the power if we could controll the secondary throttle valve adjustably... :)

Dave

eurohb
06-04-2009, 11:09 PM
so there is really no point in actually adding a Throttle body spacer? its kinda like a cheap lil low end way to get more torque in bottom end right? i was goign to add it due to i have the intake system on my m44 and am about to add headers on it also for more flow

Xenocide
06-04-2009, 11:27 PM
From taking my motor apart it looks like we already have a variable intake runner that is vacuum assisted just for this reason. BMW engineers aren't stupid, they thought if this stuff already :)

At low rpms the intake runner is shortened, at higher rpm it becomes longer.

A TB spacers will not net you any gains, might just cool off your upper intake manifold a bit, nothing really worth making or buying one.

And EuroJDMHB: we already have headers from the factory, not manifolds like the 6cyl motors. the M42 has the best flowing factory header I think I have ever seen, an aftermarket one will give you no power. You might see a few hp with a catback though. Nothing that really justifies the price unless you do something that adds a significant amount of power.

eurohb
06-05-2009, 12:00 AM
From taking my motor apart it looks like we already have a variable intake runner that is vacuum assisted just for this reason. BMW engineers aren't stupid, they thought if this stuff already :)

At low rpms the intake runner is shortened, at higher rpm it becomes longer.

A TB spacers will not net you any gains, might just cool off your upper intake manifold a bit, nothing really worth making or buying one.

And EuroJDMHB: we already have headers from the factory, not manifolds like the 6cyl motors. the M42 has the best flowing factory header I think I have ever seen, an aftermarket one will give you no power. You might see a few hp with a catback though. Nothing that really justifies the price unless you do something that adds a significant amount of power.

oh okay thanks for the info, i already installed my catback apexi system on the car and was going to add headers to just give that lil tune up thing. I have been reading a lot about boosting the m44 and have been talking with my tech, and he said its a lil iffy but we can do it. I was thinking about runnin only a SMALL amount of boost about atleast 8-12psi .

Xenocide
06-05-2009, 03:35 AM
small amount of boost? I'd be surprised if your head gasket held 12psi for more than a few thousand miles

A small amount of boost is 6-8psi.

Your planning on "boosting" this car...they don't sell supercharger kits anymore, only thing you could easily do is a turbo, and you cannot put "headers" on a turbo car. you need to do your research bud

tiFreak
06-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Your planning on "boosting" this car...they don't sell supercharger kits anymore, only thing you could easily do is a turbo, and you cannot put "headers" on a turbo car. you need to do your research bud

he never said he was going to use a turbo, and you can still buy DASCs, you just have to get them used

eurohb
06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
small amount of boost? I'd be surprised if your head gasket held 12psi for more than a few thousand miles

A small amount of boost is 6-8psi.

haha i know i can't put headers like that i need to get a turbo manifold first, i was just going to be putting headers on it for the mean time until i buy the turbo manifold. Also even if i double the head gaskets it still won't hold the proper amout of boost i am trying to achieve? i was just thinking of running about 6psi for the start then atleast get up to 10-12 psi, nothing higher or else no more m44 hah. yes i am going to run the m44 no s52 or s50 swap for me.