PDA

View Full Version : Weight added when upgrading brakes....

CirrusSR22
09-14-2006, 02:41 AM
I just upgraded my brakes today. I went from the stock 286mm solid front rotors to the normal E36 286mm vented front rotor/calipers. The calipers I used and fully rebuilt were off a 98 Z3 2.8. I weighed a bunch of the parts, so I could compare how much weight this will cost me.

ROTORS:
Solid*: 10.68 lbs. each
Vented: 14.03 lbs. each

*My old rotors were worn down fairly close to their minimum thickness value, so a new rotor should weight slightly more.

CALIPERS:
Solid: 6.22 lbs. each
Vented: 6.36 lbs. each

CALIPER CARRIERS:
Solid: 2.22 lbs. each
Vented: 2.73 lbs. each

When you do the math, the weight added to each front corner was 4.00 lbs exactly. I didn't bother weighing the pads or the rattle clips, because I assume they are the same parts on both set-ups. Here's some pictures:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12441

318ti_Portugal
09-21-2006, 09:20 PM
I have M3 front brakes. I will be saying goodbye to them for now... :)
My M3 brake setup and my M Kountours will be going to sit on the garage and in will come 325i front brakes with 6,5X15 forged alluminium wheels with 205/60/15 yokohama tyres.

THe reason is the handling and upsprung weight... The kountours are really heavy, especially the 8,5 rear ones... The M3 iron calipers and huge discs are too heavy also and the 235 tyres are just too much rubber for a ti... I cannot power oversteer no more...

regards!

mohaughn
09-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Wow.. my wilwood calipers are something like 3 pounds, and the caliper hangers are less than a pound.. I'll have to check on the box to see how much the motorsport floating rotors weigh.. I think since they have aluminum hats and are cross drilled they are much lighter than even the stock non-vented rotors.

All in all I think with my brake upgrade I didn't increase unsprung weight at all, I actually think I dropped a pound or two per side...

Mad-Machine
10-01-2006, 02:30 PM
THe reason is the handling and upsprung weight... The kountours are really heavy, especially the 8,5 rear ones... The M3 iron calipers and huge discs are too heavy also and the 235 tyres are just too much rubber for a ti... I cannot power oversteer no more...

regards!

wow.. I am running 235 width tyres on Michelin Pilot sport rubber.. and I can poweroversteer with no problem

Budget M3
10-01-2006, 07:52 PM
I have M3 front brakes. I will be saying goodbye to them for now... :)
My M3 brake setup and my M Kountours will be going to sit on the garage and in will come 325i front brakes with 6,5X15 forged alluminium wheels with 205/60/15 yokohama tyres.

regards!

wow.. I am running 235 width tyres on Michelin Pilot sport rubber.. and I can poweroversteer with no problem

If by "power oversteer" you mean drifting, then yes, 235 is too much tire for the ti. However, if you want to drive fast, especially on a track, then 235's all around are IMHO the perfect size. They allow the car to rotate nicely entering a turn, and provide much more bite than 225's upon exit (keeping the "old E30-style" trailing arm suspension in line).

Mad-Machine
10-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I agree with you there. I was referring to the fact that I can easily get my Ti to rotate on a hard launch, even with the 235s.

I also agree that the 235s are a great size for handling. They just STICK to the road in the corners like nobody's business. It's almost boring