PDA

View Full Version : cleaned under car...ABS light???

m3outtanowhere
09-20-2006, 12:41 AM
I used a hose and towel only and sprayed under my 318ti today. Removed the rims and cleaned only. I start the car and was not even moving! My ABS light stayed on? Anyone know what could have happened?

m3outtanowhere
09-20-2006, 05:42 AM
anyone?

Variance
09-20-2006, 06:03 AM
Try driving the car for a bit, the light may go away. More than likely you shorted a connection somewhere with the water, causing the light to come on.

Tyler
09-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm guessing the sensor got wet or it came loose. I'd check the wire to make sure it's plugged in.

DustenT
09-20-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm guessing the sensor got wet or it came loose. I'd check the wire to make sure it's plugged in.

Bingo! The ABS light will come on if they get wet, or if they get packed with snow. Your traction control probably won't work either until they dry out.

Tyler
09-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Bingo! The ABS light will come on if they get wet, or if they get packed with snow. Your traction control probably won't work either until they dry out.

Oh i almost forgot that Dusten. When your ABS light comes on normally your Traction Control light comes on too,if one doesn't work they both don't work. This happend to me a few years ago,my abs light came & traction control light and both was fixed by replacing the abs sensor.

m3outtanowhere
09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
they were wet! i drove it today and all is good!. I also put on my 97 m3 staggard wheels/tires. Look good???

m3outtanowhere
09-20-2006, 07:16 PM
p.s. they prob. wont fit w/o rear camber plates...f.y.i.

weezer
09-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Same thing happened to me while driving out of town in the rain, the ASC light also came on. After turning off the engine more than 15 minutes, the lights would come off. Off topic, but is it true that if the vacuum hose for both ASC and ABS is disconnected, we gain HP due to more air? Or is it another urban myth.

DustenT
09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Off topic, but is it true that if the vacuum hose for both ASC and ABS is disconnected, we gain HP due to more air? Or is it another urban myth.

Explain. Please post a pic of the hoses you are referring to.

weezer
09-20-2006, 09:23 PM
DustenT,
On the top part of the intake hose near the Throttle Body, there is an inlet hose that controls the air vacuum for ABS and ASC. When unplugged, the both lights will come on. I will look for that particular write up and patch the link under a new thread.