PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rdy, DASC Preperation

HuGo
09-24-2006, 09:22 PM
So im getting ready to call DA and make the order tommorow (monday). I plan on doing the install myself with the help of my dad guiding me. I plan on doing the oil change then installing the DASC.

I will be purchasing the Rspeed Check Valve as well tommorow. I just need to know if the one posted on the FI FAQ is the right one since it says mazda.

Also, i need to know what kind of racing spark plugs are the ones i need. If someone can give me a name or part number or whatever thatll be great. Id like to go with NGK. Im just wondering, how much will each spark plug run me, 10 bucks each one?

Also, i need to know which is a good boost gauge. All i really want is the psi gauge, i dont care for oil, afr, etc. I dont wanna spend more then 50 dollars on one.

TIA.

HuGo
09-25-2006, 03:23 AM
Spark plugs help??

Viper3812
09-25-2006, 03:37 AM
Denso Irdium are good spark plugs...

jflip2002
09-25-2006, 05:25 AM
NGK has some laser platinums, which are nice.

As far as getting a "Nice" gauge, for under $50, its not going to happen. Spend the extra $25 or so, and get something nice and reliable. An oil gauge is actually the most crucial guage you can have on a car, as far as the engine is concerned. We can get by without it with our temperature gauge though. but if youre going to spend the $3k on an DASC, spend the extra $75 on an oil gauge. You dont want to fry your engine.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the TI? Let us know how its going through the set up.

HuGo
09-25-2006, 08:46 AM
NGK has some laser platinums, which are nice.

As far as getting a "Nice" gauge, for under $50, its not going to happen. Spend the extra $25 or so, and get something nice and reliable. An oil gauge is actually the most crucial guage you can have on a car, as far as the engine is concerned. We can get by without it with our temperature gauge though. but if youre going to spend the $3k on an DASC, spend the extra $75 on an oil gauge. You dont want to fry your engine.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the TI? Let us know how its going through the set up.

Since when are you concern about me? (bfc)

But why an oil temperature? The car came without it. So is it really necessary now? How do you read an oil gauge, at what numbers is it to high?

Maybe ill buy it later, right now im on a budget. Barely made it for the dasc.

Bluebimma
09-25-2006, 03:10 PM
But why an oil temperature? The car came without it. So is it really necessary now? How do you read an oil gauge, at what numbers is it to high?

Maybe ill buy it later, right now im on a budget. Barely made it for the dasc.

I believe the Oil Guage is to measure pressure, not temperature. I dont know what the numbers should be on this car, let alone a boosted one...so someone else can help you there.

FATHER
09-25-2006, 03:33 PM
About the boot gauge i buy mine on ebay for $25.00 new is an autometer gauge vacuum 30 and boost 20, about the oil gauge i not have one but make sense to have one, but i think you want to run about 7.5 psi so i not think you really need it, all depends of your drive style. If you install the kit really correct and not make mod. ro change to it you not need the wideband gauge for now, also that gauge are very spensive,like $300.00 but is the best!!!!, in my opinion the most important extra gauge you need are Boost, Oil Pressure and Wide Bad presure, autometer have the 3.

pdxmotorhead
09-25-2006, 07:01 PM
If your exceeding the 7.5 lb of reccomended boost, you should monitor Oil temp as well. Many a race engine has
died due to hot oil....

While wide bands are really nice for tuning, I'd look at the systems that use the OBDII port to update a display, sort
of a mini glass dash. Don't know if there is one for our cars though and I have OBD1.

Oh well.

Dave

DustenT
09-25-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't have the spark plug number, but any auto parts place will be able to tell you which one you need. I'm using NGK race plugs, I believe they were $80 for 4. When you find the part number, please post it.

The Rspeed check valve was made for Sebring supercharger kits for Miatas, but the DASC is basically a Sebring, since they are made by the same company. (Sebring is no longer around, btw).

Good luck with the install.

So im getting ready to call DA and make the order tommorow (monday). I plan on doing the install myself with the help of my dad guiding me. I plan on doing the oil change then installing the DASC.

I will be purchasing the Rspeed Check Valve as well tommorow. I just need to know if the one posted on the FI FAQ is the right one since it says mazda.

Also, i need to know what kind of racing spark plugs are the ones i need. If someone can give me a name or part number or whatever thatll be great. Id like to go with NGK. Im just wondering, how much will each spark plug run me, 10 bucks each one?

Also, i need to know which is a good boost gauge. All i really want is the psi gauge, i dont care for oil, afr, etc. I dont wanna spend more then 50 dollars on one.

TIA.

pnosker
09-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah, Downing Atlanta, before making BMW kits, made kits for the Miata. They're based off the same Eaton design so what Dusten said is correct as far as I know. I don't have a DASC (yet) though.

HuGo
09-25-2006, 09:10 PM
I don't have the spark plug number, but any auto parts place will be able to tell you which one you need. I'm using NGK race plugs, I believe they were $80 for 4. When you find the part number, please post it.

The Rspeed check valve was made for Sebring supercharger kits for Miatas, but the DASC is basically a Sebring, since they are made by the same company. (Sebring is no longer around, btw).

Good luck with the install.

So then pretty much as long as its called, NGK race plugs right? I will go tommorow and buy plugs, oil, and i wanna get the gauges.

So how do you read the vacuum? What numbers mean good or bad. Pretty much what am i monotoring? Same for the oil. Well do i really need an oil gauge? Ill spend the money on the psi gauge, but really, do i need the oil one?

DustenT
09-25-2006, 09:26 PM
15 to 20 in/hg is good vacuum at idle. Boost should be between 7 and 9psi, depending on the outside temperature.

You don't NEED any gauges, especially if you don't know what they mean.

You may have to order the NGK plugs, I don't think many auto places are going to stock them.

96cali
09-26-2006, 03:33 PM
FWIW my mech said the connectors, hoses, etc that come with teh kit are crap and should be upgraded. When you get the kit, inspect and consider upgrading the parts with same size lines, etc.

Dusten- you're opinion?

DustenT
09-26-2006, 03:39 PM
FWIW my mech said the connectors, hoses, etc that come with teh kit are crap and should be upgraded. When you get the kit, inspect and consider upgrading the parts with same size lines, etc.

Dusten- you're opinion?

I was impressed with the quality of the components and I haven't had any problems in 2+ years (40k+ miles). I tend to do a lot of preventive maintenance so I have replaced some of the components with higher quality pieces that I had laying around (stainless steel hoses, etc...)

Overall, I think the kit is good for an entry level system, but like any high performance bolt on you'll need to keep an eye on everything and replace/upgrade as needed.

HuGo
09-26-2006, 05:07 PM
I would like to switch all rubber hoses with stainless steel hoses. But im sure thats expensinve to change them. But it will make the kit stand out more. Dusten, about how many hoses does the kit come with?

DustenT
09-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Dusten, about how many hoses does the kit come with?

All of them.

Be sure to read and understand this document: http://318ti.org/notebook/dasc/index.htm - there are several small modifications that can be done to make installation and future removal easier.

HuGo
09-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I didnt know that trying to find a spark plug was going to be a b!tch!

I go to 2 different autozones and 2 diferent pep boys. None had any NGK racing plugs. Then one autozone had a Denso Iridium ($12.99) but i want NGK. So then i went to a performance store. So i said, i want racing NGK spark plugs. Then they said iridium or platinum. So i asked which is better and he said platinum (so which one IS better?). So then he askes me what the heat range is and if i wanted to go hotter or colder. This is where i got lost. So i said, i have no clue, so i said can i just have the same heat range but instead they are racing plugs. So he asked that it all depends when i put the charger in because he wouldnt know how we would be tunning the car so i he cant tell me what the heat range is. So i called DA and asked what would be a good heat range for the spark plug. So Jim told me that stock Spark plugs work just fine but if i wanted to go 1 level lower, i could go 1 lever lower of cold. So then i told the guy that and he told me to make sure what i need, what heat range cuz it all depends how much heat and fuel to go back and let him know. IM LOST, PLEASE HELP ME! I asked my dad and he said we gonna have to wait and see what plugs we will need after the install. Please, all im gonna do is run stock DASC, i dont plan in modifyin anywhere from there so i just need to know about what kind of racing spark plugs i need. If anything the only extra thing im installing is the Rspeed Check Valve. HELP HELP! TIA

HuGo
09-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Not buying the check valve no more. 50 bucks, forget it. Unless anyone knows where i can go pick one up instead of getting it shipped.

DustenT
09-27-2006, 12:39 AM
I already told you a dozen times that you don't NEED different spark plugs. If you expierence any detonation then you can switch to a colder plug. This is all stated in the Forced Induction FAQ (I created the FAQ to elimate questions like this).

It's getting difficult to help you because you have no idea what you are doing or what you are talking about. PLEASE do some research and figure out what exactly you just paid $3k for....

HuGo
09-27-2006, 12:44 AM
I already told you a dozen times that you don't NEED different spark plugs

According to the FAQ you did mention to upgrade the spark plugs. And just like jim said go 1 heat range colder.

What should be upgraded when going with a FI system?Clutch - The stock clutch will slip a little bit if you really push the car hard.
Exhaust - A cat-back exhaust system will make a really big difference with FI.
Brakes - If you go faster, you should be able to stop faster. High performance street or track pads should be good enough.
Spark Plugs - Go with a spark plug that is one heat range colder. For an NGK plug that's a 7.

What wasnt mention is, what is the benefit in going colder, what does it do exactly cuz i dont know about spark plugs.

aceyx
09-27-2006, 01:13 AM
It's getting difficult to help you because you have no idea what you are doing or what you are talking about. PLEASE do some research and figure out what exactly you just paid $3k for....
+1

You can start straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/techtips.asp?nav=31000&country=US

HuGo
09-27-2006, 02:26 AM
My dad is going to eat me alive with all the work we're going to have to do. Gauge setup, oil change and installing the DASC.

1996 328ti
09-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Hugo, you must first see if answers to your questions have been posted.
I'm sure bf.c could also help.

HuGo
09-28-2006, 10:45 PM
So which ones?

NGKbkr7eix (colder)? or
NGKbkr8eix (stock heat range)?

Im gonna need some spark plugs and an oil for my GT3 pretty soon too.

pnosker
09-29-2006, 12:54 AM
As previously mentioned, "Spark Plugs - Go with a spark plug that is one heat range colder. For an NGK plug that's a 7." hence "NGKbkr7eix (colder)" would match. Please, read before asking. GT3 as in Porsche 911 GT3 or Porsche 997 GT3?

HuGo
09-29-2006, 01:04 AM
I guess i will go with NGKbkr7eix

I dont think i got an answer to do, so what benefit or difference will i see using these plugs (i know that i wont be expecting 100 horses).

pnosker
09-29-2006, 01:06 AM
You won't see a difference. It's just playing it safe. As previously mentioned... you don't need any special spark plugs, you don't NEED a psi guage, you pretty much don't NEED anything but what DASC sends you. Stop worrying and just put the thing on the car and see how it is!!!

HuGo
09-29-2006, 01:10 AM
You won't see a difference. It's just playing it safe. As previously mentioned... you don't need any special spark plugs, you don't NEED a psi guage, you pretty much don't NEED anything but what DASC sends you. Stop worrying and just put the thing on the car and see how it is!!!

Take it easy....You dont want to lose another 2 minutes of your life being upset.

DustenT
09-29-2006, 12:57 PM
I dont think i got an answer to do, so what benefit or difference will i see using these plugs

Your question was answered in the form of a link. Did you check the link out? http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/techtips.asp?nav=31000&country=US

I know you want someone to explain everything in easy to understand terms, but you need to do your own research now.

tastade
10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
A colder spark plug removes more heat (runs cooler) from the combustion chamber to reduce the chance of detonation/pre-ignition, where as a hotter spark plug removes less heat (runs hotter), increasing the chance of detonation. If a spark plug is too cold it can foul up easily, and if it is too hot you can melt your spark plugs and cause serious engine damage.

By compressing air you heat it up to some extent. This hotter air has a higher chance to cause detonation. By running a colder plug you help reduce this chance because some of the added heat from compressing the air is removed by the plug. Colder plugs can also be run when towing heavy loads on a regular bassis. The referenced link in DustenT's post says that changing 1 temperature range hotter or colder changes the combustion temperature by about 70 to 100 degrees C.

HuGo
10-22-2006, 02:03 AM
Should the kit be put in all together like, manifold,blower, elbow all together, or one at a time?

HuGo
10-22-2006, 05:55 AM
We officially start tommorow. I guess the farthest we gonna go is taking off the manifold. After a couple hours a day after. Hopefully by next sunday we're done.

You guys are right, after HIDs, you dont wanna go back. Im back to driving my dad's GSR and man the lights suck. (yellow) When i drive my TI it doesnt feel like wow, the road is super lid up, but when i was driving the GSR, its all yellow.

saintly
10-27-2006, 05:46 AM
just follow the manual.
when it says bolt x to y then do it.