PDA

View Full Version : Blown ECU?

r1shaun
10-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi all, new to this site but in need of some advice.... Bought a 318ti which I originally thought had a blown head gasket. Further investigation found a cracked block :( The car is 1995 I think. I managed to get a full engine and loom from a 97 car. I swapped everything over and all seemed ok. On final build up I noticed there was an extra plug on the bit of the loom which is hidden in the bulkhead with the ECU. It was getting late so I connected it all up anyway, needless to say it didn't start.... I've now fitted the original inlet manifold and wiring harness to the new engine. The only things I've not changed are the (4?) sensors on the block (so they're still 97 spec on a 95 loom) The car still won't start and doesn't seem to be getting fuel... When I try the bleed nipple on the fuel rail there is no pressure released or fuel. I think maybe when I connected the ECU to the other loom I've cooked it. Anyone any ideas?

DustenT
10-13-2006, 08:11 PM
1995 is OBD1 without EWSII and the motor is an m42
1997 is OBD2 with EWSII and the motor is an m44

What engine wiring harness and ECU are you using?

Bluebimma
10-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Will this setup actually work since 95 is obd-1 and 97 is obd-2? Unless you swapped the ecus too.

pdxmotorhead
10-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Some 95's Have EWS (Mine does Oct build date.)
The computer would have ot be re-inited to the EWS.

Also the whole engine wiring harness, and ECU needed ot go with the engine.

Dave

r1shaun
10-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Ok, just clearing up what I actually did.... Fitted 97 loom and engine then tried to start it on a 95 ECU. No joy so fitted the 95 loom to the 97 engine with the 95 inlet manifold (and 95 ecu) Still wouldn't start but now I think I could have damaged the ecu... Or an immobiliser could be coming into play. I left 4 senders connected to the 97 engine block that were 97 spec. Think tmrw I'll change these and see if I have any joy. Any way of seeing if there's an immobliser fitted to it? It has got a BMW alarm on. Thanks you guys!!

mischief
10-14-2006, 12:34 AM
where u located
i might let you use my ecu

r1shaun
10-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Erm could be difficult... I'm in the U.K. Manchester England. Thanks anyway! I'm going to see if somebody will try there car on my ecu, that way I don't think any damage can be done. If my ECU runs another car the fault lies elsewhere but if not maybe we've found the problem ;)

r1shaun
10-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Ok,quick update.... I've swapped all the sensors and am sure it's not an immobiliser issue. When trying to start I've got fuel at the inlet to the injector rail but no fuel at the pressure release valve. Anybody know why the pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail wouldn't open? Thanks again...