PDA

View Full Version : Will Check Engine Light reset itself?

scottrt
10-17-2006, 06:32 AM
My sons 318TI just suffered a CEL warning. This coincided with a whirring noise and rough idle at start-up. I suspect it is the idle control regulator and or the secondary air pump.

It quieted back down today though, and idles fine again. If it keeps running fine, will the CEL light reset by itself? I still plan on cleaning the idle regulator valve, and testing,servicing if I can, the secondary air pump. This is a California car, if that makes a difference, and those are some very expensive parts!!

Any advice on what to look at, and if I will need to go to a dealer to have the CEL rest would be appreciated. We need to have the car smogged within the next few weeks for its license renewel...of course.

Thanks....Scott T.

roadrash
10-17-2006, 06:36 AM
It depends on what the error was. I had a CEL from the cat being below efficiency threshold. It was lit for about a week and then went away, probably after some set number of "driving cycles." (the CEL returned again a week later.) So, yes... sometimes the CEL will go off on its own.

Variance
10-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Don't quote me on it, but I believe that a CEL will be reset after around 10 cold starts.

1996 328ti
10-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Don't quote me on it, but I believe that a CEL will be reset after around 10 cold starts.
Well, I am quoting you. ;)
Like previously posted, the CEL may go off but they are generally stored.
I had a 02 sensor cause my CEL to go on. It went off and stayed off for months. The code was still stored months later.

septimus
10-19-2006, 01:56 AM
Can the light be reset without going to a mechanic? Mine came on after I seafoamed the car and a vacuum line popped off. Once I hooked it back up there were no more problems, everything is as normal, but the CEL hasn't turned off yet, and its been like a month.

1996 328ti
10-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Can the light be reset without going to a mechanic? Mine came on after I seafoamed the car and a vacuum line popped off. Once I hooked it back up there were no more problems, everything is as normal, but the CEL hasn't turned off yet, and its been like a month.A fault code might still be stored.

kelso
10-19-2006, 03:18 AM
disconnect your battery for a few minutes. im pretty sure, not 100% positive, that it will resest it. something i learned years ago and havent had to do since so im not fully sure...