PDA

View Full Version : calling on a private party Ti, price seems high.

Yurko
10-30-2006, 05:20 AM
I'm really surprised more car forums don't have areas like this. This is quite nice.

totalled my Passat (I'm fine, not my fault), looking around for a new car, came across a local private party sale of a 95 318Ti on AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=211168420&dealer_id=58717069&car_year=1995&search_type=used&num_records=100&make=BMW&transmission=&make3=VOLVO&model=&distance=75&make2=MINI&address=68104&advanced=y&certified=&model3=&model2=&max_mileage=&max_price=7500&bkms=1162179624923&sort_type=priceASC&min_price=2500&body_code=190&end_year=2000&color=&start_year=1992&drive=&engine=&body_style=SUV&body_style=COUPE&body_style=TRUCKS&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SEDAN&body_style=WAGON&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=2&cardist=8). The bluebook for this car, with those miles, is like $3k at the most (perfect condition with all options).

Does Kelley blue book just have its head up its ass, or should I expect there to be some type of added value with this car at this price?

Any thoughts? I read through this forum and saw all the big things to look for, and it appears that 171k isn't too high for a 318ti.

thanks guys, hopefully I'll have a reason to come back in a few days.

AutoM3otives
10-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Rarity and demand seem to overrule KBB prices.

Best thing to do would be to get a mechanic friend to go with you, and check the car out.

Get the car on some jacks/lift, look at every suspension piece, every hose, every gasket, every belt, any leaks this and that.

If something needs to be replace, mark it down, and every hit should lower the price.

If that car hasn't had any suspension replace in its 171k life, that's gunna be BIG $$$ that you can deduct from the price. Intake hoses and leaks too, value cover gasket as well.

Good luck.

PS. Single photo makes me suspect things already.

pnosker
10-30-2006, 05:32 AM
For reference, I paid $6300+ tax/tags for my 1998 318ti Active with manual gearbox, and ANSA Sport exhaust. It had 92xxx miles on it and was in excellent condition.

Yurko
10-30-2006, 05:42 AM
thanks for the fast replies!

unfortunately I live in Omaha and my friends with mechanic experience live in KC, so that is out, but assuming it's still available I will definately give it a thorough inspection. I question the suspension just by looking at the photo because it's sitting so low in the rear, but it may just be lowered.

thanks for the reference point, pnosker, that makes me think it's priced fairly high unless it has some significan extras under the hood.

I also agree that the single photo is HIGHLY suspect.

much appreciation. :smile: :smile: :smile:

AutoM3otives
10-30-2006, 05:45 AM
car is definitely sitting low in the back, but seeing the gap in the front, looks to be on stock suspension.

can be a combination of blown rear shocks, tired rear shock mounts, and the worst of them all... Rear subframe bushings (PITA).

Yurko
10-30-2006, 05:49 AM
car is definitely sitting low in the back, but seeing the gap in the front, looks to be on stock suspension.

can be a combination of blown rear shocks, tired rear shock mounts, and the worst of them all... Rear subframe bushings (PITA).

yeah, I was wondering those same things. I had to deal with some of them on my Maxima a few years ago (not the bushings fortunately), and it was a big enough pain being front wheel drive.

it may just be sitting on an incline, but not enough of one to do that to the suspension.

mohaughn
10-30-2006, 06:23 AM
I wouldn't let the single photo bother you to much. You pay 35$ to list a car on autotrader with only one picture, or 45$ to list multiple pictures...

That car is not a club sport so it is not worth that much... The only time KBB is wrong is on the mileage. They don't adjust the price down enough for high mileage cars. The napa price guide says the high retail on a 95ti is 5,800. But that would have to be with a lot less mileage. Private party sales are usually less than retail because you are not paying for the dealer overhead.

These cars can run for a long time, but after 120k miles they need a lot of regular wear and tear maintenance. Make sure they show you all of the repair records so that you can see what has been replaced. Also make sure to get a carfax report.

aceyx
10-30-2006, 06:26 AM
Yurko; check this thread (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7578) for a list of what people have paid, and what condition they were in.

From that picture, it appears to be an Active package. Is that for sure an Omaha plate?

Yurko
10-30-2006, 06:30 AM
Yurko; check this thread (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7578) for a list of what people have paid, and what condition they were in.

From that picture, it appears to be an Active package. Is that for sure an Omaha plate?

cool. I'll have to work some number crunching magic in excel.

I'm not sure it's an omaha plate (you can't really tell here), but it's NE.

Bluebimma
10-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Another price reference:

I bought my Ti with 187k on it for 3200. I was in a bit of a jam with finances (got laid off) and my other car wasnt cutting it and when i went to the bank to get a loan...they said they would only give me 3200$ for the car because thats what KBB told them thats all it was worth. I bought it from a private owner that i worked with and he was selling the car for 4k...we worked out a deal and i just got the loan any only paid 3200 for it.

It came with 17" Mille miglia rims, mtech front bumper cover, new clutch, and a supersprint exhaust. Engine had no leaks and ran strong. Active model as well.

aceyx
10-30-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure it's an omaha plate (you can't really tell here), but it's NE.
Yep. That's me being an idiot. :biggrin:

NathanB
10-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey Yurko,

Good to meet you! I just bought my Ti in Omaha Nebraska as well about a week ago. I got a 95 with the standard package(I think, it has a moonroof and power windows/locks, and the alarm, but that may all be standard.) Anyway, for mine it was a 95 5spd with 65k miles on it, and I paid 6. Mine is in pristine condition, and I am very happy with it.

Just a heads up though, nice to meet someone in the same area!

Maxxx
11-10-2006, 06:18 AM
Don't mind me :)
Also looking to buy a 318ti!

I feel this is a good place to put it and don't' think it was necessary to make a new thread.

I think this a bit high for this car because the miles and KBB says its 3500. But it seems to be in really good condition.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=58007925&end_year=2007&address=55423&make2=&start_year=1981&fuel=&certified=&keywordsrep=&car_id=203955170&search_type=used&max_mileage=&body_code=0&drive=&min_price=&distance=50&engine=&transmission=&make=BMW&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=&ref=srl&car_year=1996&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=13&max_price=&advanced=&model=318TI&color=&ref=srl#vdptop"]This Car (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=58007925&end_year=2007&address=55423&make2=&start_year=1981&fuel=&certified=&keywordsrep=&car_id=203955170&search_type=used&max_mileage=&body_code=0&drive=&min_price=&distance=50&engine=&transmission=&make=BMW&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=&ref=srl&car_year=1996&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=13&max_price=&advanced=&model=318TI&color=&ref=srl#vdptop)

What do you think would be a reasonable price if I were to offer to this person?

adempster1
11-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Don't mind me :)
Also looking to buy a 318ti!

I feel this is a good place to put it and don't' think it was necessary to make a new thread.

I think this a bit high for this car because the miles and KBB says its 3500. But it seems to be in really good condition.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=58007925&end_year=2007&address=55423&make2=&start_year=1981&fuel=&certified=&keywordsrep=&car_id=203955170&search_type=used&max_mileage=&body_code=0&drive=&min_price=&distance=50&engine=&transmission=&make=BMW&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=&ref=srl&car_year=1996&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=13&max_price=&advanced=&model=318TI&color=&ref=srl#vdptop"]This Car (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=58007925&end_year=2007&address=55423&make2=&start_year=1981&fuel=&certified=&keywordsrep=&car_id=203955170&search_type=used&max_mileage=&body_code=0&drive=&min_price=&distance=50&engine=&transmission=&make=BMW&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=&ref=srl&car_year=1996&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=13&max_price=&advanced=&model=318TI&color=&ref=srl#vdptop)

What do you think would be a reasonable price if I were to offer to this person?

I got my 98ti with 179K miles mint conditions for $3700(pictures on my gallery) in my opinion I would not pay a cent over $4000 for it. mine has 208K plus miles now(a year later) and the engine still runs strung but high miles lower price. (probles I had with mine, radiator went 8 months after I got it, starter went 4 months after I got it and my Alternator just went last week and now is in the shop for a F up EWS. no big deal to me for a car with 208K plus miles and the price I paid for it one year ago this past Novmber 2nd.

Maxxx
11-14-2006, 06:11 AM
I got my 98ti with 179K miles mint conditions for $3700(pictures on my gallery) in my opinion I would not pay a cent over $4000 for it. mine has 208K plus miles now(a year later) and the engine still runs strung but high miles lower price. (probles I had with mine, radiator went 8 months after I got it, starter went 4 months after I got it and my Alternator just went last week and now is in the shop for a F up EWS. no big deal to me for a car with 208K plus miles and the price I paid for it one year ago this past Novmber 2nd.

Sweet thanks for responding. Like having a opinion from someone who has owned and bought a 318ti.

pdxmotorhead
11-14-2006, 06:30 AM
I paid over 6K for a 1995 Active, 1 year ago, car had 80K and was mint. Has been very low maintenance. Other than the silly window clips....

Dave

Ollieyoufool
08-08-2007, 05:28 AM
I bought my 1996 active with 72k miles and pristine condition besides a dent on the right fender in front about the size of an egg, I payed 5000 for it.