PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEM!

JPerfect
11-01-2006, 07:09 PM
So the bozo mechanic said I needed a new differential bushing. I took a closer look at the car, and noticed not only was he too lazy to put my good rotor on the hub/trailing arm assembly that I bought... but the diff wasn't sitting right on the bushing. What's with this, I asked myself, there's space underneath the bushing between the bushing and the circular bracket... so i reach my hand over, and yeah, the bracket is broken and the diff is holding on to the bushing for dear life by about a centimeter on each side. (See illustration)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/jperfect/diff.jpg
(red part is broken off completely)

I can't believe this guy told me I could drive the car. "Just get a bushing in the next month, and I'll install it. Go easy on her till then."

Is there anything I can buy, like a cover or something that I can replace instead of getting a whole new diff?

Car's a manual transmission by the way, and I don't have LSD, but it's not out of the question if I have to buy a new one.

Any advice?????

mohaughn
11-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Yes, you can buy just the differential cover. Most of the time they come with a bushing already pressed it. Just make sure it is the e30 type differential cover. It only has the one bushing support arm sticking off to the left side if you are looking at the diff from behind the car. You can even upgrade to a finned differential cover which has the extra fins for cooling. They are less than 200 bucks, and it looks like a fairly easy task.

You can find some threads on here where people have upgraded that part. I think there are some clearance issues that you not to look out for if you upgrade the diff. cover. Or you can always find a junk yard and just get an OEM diff cover.

bullmand
11-01-2006, 07:47 PM
If you buy a new cover it should come with a new bushing. If you get a junkyard cover, I'd still put a new bushing in there since your doing it anyway. Any indication of how this happened?

JPerfect
11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
So you're saying something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Finned-Differential-Cover-E30-M3-325-Z3-2-8-3-0-2-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQihZ007QQitemZ170043810822QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

JPerfect
11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
When my car was hit, I'm guessing the diff took a hit from the halfshaft. Works fine, just clunks like a mofo when going over bumps because the diff is actually bouncing since it's not really attached to the bushing.

Bluebimma
11-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Or you can get a stock one from the dealership for about 90$....very easy job to do.

JPerfect
11-01-2006, 08:21 PM
awesome, thanks!

mohaughn
11-01-2006, 08:23 PM
You can get that finned one for 189$. But unless you are in the habit of running your car really hard I wouldn't think you need it. If you can get the stock part for 90$ from the dealer that would be the best way to go.

DustenT
11-01-2006, 08:27 PM
You can get that finned one for 189$. But unless you are in the habit of running your car really hard I wouldn't think you need it. If you can get the stock part for 90$ from the dealer that would be the best way to go.

Finned diff cover = SEXY!

JPerfect
11-01-2006, 08:59 PM
i just called the dealer, they said 160 plus gasket, which is like 3 bucks.

that's park ave bmw on rt 17 in maywood, nj.

anyplace anyone know of where I can get it cheaper?

If i cant get it cheaper than that, i'm goin for the finned one.

pnosker
11-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Try Flemington BMW, they got me a water pump for $67 OEM.

J!m
11-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Be aware: The finned cover may not allow clearance for the spare tire (if you have one).

My diff cover is finned and larger than the ti one (M Roadster), and the spare does not fit. This is OK, since the spare does not fit over the brakes anyway...

Just check this before you buy.

L84THSKY
11-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I wanna get this cleared up, since it is talked about alot. The M-coupe finned cover will not work on a stock Ti diff. That is unless I am totally missunderstanding something. The M-coupe came ONLY in a 6 cylinder version. That means the diff is a widebody. That being true, the M-coupe cover is too big to mount on a stock Ti diff. I could have confirmed this for sure, when I removed my diff, but didn't feel like opening up my stock diff to find out.

You can even upgrade to a finned differential cover which has the extra fins for cooling. They are less than 200 bucks, and it looks like a fairly easy task.

Panzer_M
11-03-2006, 04:15 PM
I wanna get this cleared up, since it is talked about alot. The M-coupe finned cover will not work on a stock Ti diff. That is unless I am totally missunderstanding something. The M-coupe came ONLY in a 6 cylinder version. That means the diff is a widebody. That being true, the M-coupe cover is too big to mount on a stock Ti diff. I could have confirmed this for sure, when I removed my diff, but didn't feel like opening up my stock diff to find out.

Bingo: you need a 188mm diff casing for the M coupe diff cover...on the small Ti diff, buying the finned(Which is a sexy cover true) is just buying a paperweight.

JPerfect
11-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I did some research on that, and I already bought a stock Diff cover from Flemington BMW. They're shipping it to me by next week.

There are no fluids involved, right?

To install it, support the diff with a jackstand, unbolt cover and bushing bracket, install new, remove jackstand and viola???

Now i need rotors and body work done. Woe is me.

Thanks guys, you saved me over 50 bucks on that diff. (shipped rather than picked up also)

Bluebimma
11-03-2006, 05:04 PM
You have to drain the oil out of the case first, replace the gasket, seal it up, refill, and bolt it back to the car.

JPerfect
11-03-2006, 05:15 PM
ahhh, gotcha. I was hoping I could do this with no mess... but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks

Bluebimma
11-03-2006, 05:16 PM
ahhh, gotcha. I was hoping I could do this with no mess... but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks

Nuthin more than a simple oil change really.

mohaughn
11-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Bingo: you need a 188mm diff casing for the M coupe diff cover...on the small Ti diff, buying the finned(Which is a sexy cover true) is just buying a paperweight.

So the cover that is marketted as the e30 finned cover is the same as the m-coupe finned cover? I've seen plenty of threads on m42 and e30 sites where people are running the e30 finned cover on the 3.45 lsd. Are all BMW 3.45 lsd's small case, atleast the ones that were an option on the 95 Ti? Perhaps they swapped out to the e28 diff..

pnosker
11-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I live about 15 minutes away from Flemington BMW. They're definitely cheaper than Princeton BMW where my dad got his M Roadster. Princeton wanted $25 for touch up paint, Flemington wanted $15. How much did you end up paying?

Oh, also mine came with a finned cover. Does this mean I have an LSD or anything like that? The previous owner might have done something but there are fins (not as many as the M Roadster though).

DustenT
11-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I live about 15 minutes away from Flemington BMW. They're definitely cheaper than Princeton BMW where my dad got his M Roadster. Princeton wanted $25 for touch up paint, Flemington wanted $15. How much did you end up paying?

Oh, also mine came with a finned cover. Does this mean I have an LSD or anything like that? The previous owner might have done something but there are fins (not as many as the M Roadster though).

I think all diffs have SOME fins. You can kinda see them on this picture:

http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/BMW/DSCF0284.sized.jpg

pnosker
11-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah, that might be it. I honestly have no idea. Nice color though!!

JPerfect
11-03-2006, 10:47 PM
$120 shipped to my door

pnosker
11-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Wow, that's way cheaper than the other place. Did that come with the $3 part?

JPerfect
11-07-2006, 12:50 AM
It was like 120-something... $123 maybe?
Comes with all bolts, and gasket.

The guy said there were 6 in the country, so it might take a while for me to get it... but he said two were in Mount Olive... which is not that far from me... in Jersey.

I was confused by what he said, but it'll be here any day now.

Just moved my car into my grandparents' carport just in case it rains.

I'll get her back in shape if it's the last thing I do... then I'll egg that mechanic's shop for screwing me over.

pnosker
11-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Nice... I wish I could've gotten one for you through my uncle who's an independent mechanic and gets 20% off Flemington BMW. Unfortunately, I don't think he's allowed to do that though.

JPerfect
11-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Well, BMW lied to me, they never sent me the gasket. I opted to just drive to the local BMW stealership and dish out 5 bucks for a new one... which had to be special ordered. I also picked up some window sliders as well.

Finally came in, and I picked it all up. Replaced the differential cover today in about two and a half hours, that's including preparation and cleanup. Hardest part was getting that bushing bolt off. It was reaaaally locked tight. Anti-Seize helped a little.

Car runs great now, besides the quarterpanel rubbing on the wheel occasionally, but I'm getting that fixed on Friday. Looks like I'll make it to the meet at White Castle after all!

Nonetheless, here are a few pics of the old cover compared to the new one. I have a few more pics of the install in my gallery.

As you can see, the cover was BROKEN beyond repair, and the bushing itself was the only thing holding the diff on the car. I should really go over to the mechanic who said I just "needed a new bushing and it's safe to drive the car until then," and kick him in the balls really hard because there could have been a lot of damage there. Moron.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/721/P1010107.JPG
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/721/P1010103.JPG
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/721/P1010102.JPG

I would rate the difficulty on this job a 3/10 only because of the difficult angle of the top bolt, and the bushing bolt. I had to weasel some tools through things in pretty awkward ways.

Complexity is like a 2/10. Very easy and painless, but pretty messy.

pnosker
11-16-2006, 12:38 PM
holy crap, what kind of mechanic did you go to?

aceyx
11-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Nice... I wish I could've gotten one for you through my uncle who's an independent mechanic and gets 20% off Flemington BMW. Unfortunately, I don't think he's allowed to do that though.
A mechanic we use regularly just purchased an AMM (AFM) for my brother's Pathfinder using his discount. $375 vs. $525 and my brother is doing the install.

However, we use this mechanic regularly.

JPerfect
11-16-2006, 09:43 PM
holy crap, what kind of mechanic did you go to?

Some fool down the street that I was able to push my car to.

But it's ok... I've learned to be my own mechanic from now on... unless something's under warranty and the dealership does it for free.

JPerfect
11-17-2006, 06:44 PM
As a matter of fact, he ended up using the crappy rotor, hub, and caliper that was attached to the trailing arm... and somehow it's different in size. The driver's side wheel sticks out 1/4 to 1/2 inch farther than the passenger side.