PDA

View Full Version : Radiator leaking - need shop recomendation

30yrMbr
11-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi; My 96 Ti just crossed over into 100k land and now the radiator is leaking. Sign of age I expect, so.... Any recomendations for a good repair shop in So. Orange County, Calif? I think that I need to have the tank re-attached to the core, but could be mistaken about that. Would rather not buy a whole new radiator, if it is repairable. Probably time to replace the thermostat and water pump at the same time too???

Bluebimma
11-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Id say its about that time to just go ahead and replace the whole cooling system for preventive maintenance and peace of mind. Radiators are about 120$, thermo 50$ and waterpump with metal impreller 50$. All are DIY jobs and should only take about 2 hours to complete yourself.

30yrMbr
11-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Just checked with the local dealer for the radiator, its $423 dollars. Where do you get a OEM radiator for $120?

Bluebimma
11-01-2006, 10:42 PM
You can get one off ebay...ive bought two, one for my crx and one for my bimmer... or you can go to rockauto.com.

Radiator - 152.79+shipping - 197.79+shipping.
Thermo - 47.79+shipping
Waterpump -38.79+shpping - 61.79+shipping

Various Brands, you can choose which one you want. I live in toledo, ohio and usually get my stuff 2 days later and its always packaged nicely.

So far ive bought a fender, mirror, and kidneys from them.

weezer
11-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Yep, you can get a great Nissens (all metal) for about $120-150 and might as well get a water pump w/ metal impeler, thermo housing and thermo, check all the hoses and replace them. You should be good to go for another 75k. I'm slowly getting to that point.
Good luck!:smile:

adempster1
11-02-2006, 02:10 AM
When my radiator cracked on me due to a bad thermo, I needed to replace it fast. My wife drives a 2006 PT Cruiser and I was not going the get caught driving it for a couple of day wile I waited on a radiator to arrive so I call a local junk yard and found me a used one from a ti with 35K miles. I think the $75 I paid for it was high but my urgent need did not. As for the Thermo, I had to go with new and my local dealer had one in stock for $54 I grabbed it and took the quickest rout home in the PT cruiser. Not wanting to drive the pt cruiser any longer that necessary I proceeded to replaced the parts and it only took me about 1 ½ hr to do. To easy. I forgot to mention, she’s running strong at 209K plus miles.