PDA

View Full Version : Startup noise

ConMasta
11-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi, Im new to 318's but defintely not new to cars... I just got myself a clean clean 98 ti M-Sport which I love.. anyways. I noticed that upon startup, these motors tend to be alot noisier than most other cars Ive driven, Im not used to this and was wondering if this were a common BMW/M44 condition or not.. it goes away within 3 minutes of starting but still... it just doesnt feel quite right... my old SE-R purred like a kitten immediately so I guess Im just not used to this... any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks

-Conan

DustenT
11-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi, Im new to 318's but defintely not new to cars... I just got myself a clean clean 98 ti M-Sport which I love.. anyways. I noticed that upon startup, these motors tend to be alot noisier than most other cars Ive driven, Im not used to this and was wondering if this were a common BMW/M44 condition or not.. it goes away within 3 minutes of starting but still... it just doesnt feel quite right... my old SE-R purred like a kitten immediately so I guess Im just not used to this... any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks

-Conan

The m44 has a secondary air pump (SAP) that blows air into the exhaust to light the cat quickly to lower cold start emissions. This is normal.

You can unplug the pump if you don't like the noise...it's located behind the airbox.