PDA

View Full Version : New to the BMW scene, former SE-R owner

ConMasta
11-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Well, less than a month ago, a little incident on the highway caused me to leave the Nissan scene and enter BMWs. You can see the incident here: http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=174439&highlight=miracle

Anyways, I just got myself a 318ti M-Sport, cant wait to start workin on it.. I will prolly be in here often asking many technical questions... as I am much much more familiar with asian imports... I apologize in advance.

-Conan

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/conmasta/IMG_1384.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/conmasta/IMG_1383.jpg

Bluebimma
11-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Nice, mille miglia rims, rear mtech spoiler, sunroof windshield, '96 or newer, m44 motor, great shape and very clean. Cant see the exhaust though...aftermarket?

Id say you have about 80k on it? :smile:

Anyways, clean TI, and welcome to the forum, sorry about the se-r though man.

AutoM3otives
11-03-2006, 09:44 PM
looks like the optional oem exhaust tip.

pnosker
11-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Not that I know much about this stuff, but the side trim looks like non-sport trim.

AutoM3otives
11-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Not that I know much about this stuff, but the side trim looks like non-sport trim.

its a sport.
M bumpers
M moldings (taller/flatter)
M ensignia in molding.

Bluebimma
11-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, its definately a sport thought....side mouldings, rear valance, front mtech bumper.

pnosker
11-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Oops... my mistake. My mouldings look like that though... weird

I have an active.

tastade
11-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Anyways, I just got myself a 318ti M-Sport, cant wait to start workin on it.. I will prolly be in here often asking many technical questions... as I am much much more familiar with asian imports... I apologize in advance.

They aren't that different. Parts aren't any more expensive (from my experience), it might just be a little harder to find them. The big difference I notice is that the BMW uses a lot of Allen/Hex bolts for various things, so you might want to pick up a set of hex sockets (the inverse of a regular 6 point socket). Good sizes include from 3 to 10 mm (don't remember which sizes I have used, but I think 6 7 and 8 or so) and 14 and 17 mm (for differential and tranny drain plugs).

You will find that many things in the car are over designed, which makes it very nice to work on. Many of the electrical connectors are the cannon style connectors that you unscrew. This is a lot easier than the push tabs that become so stuck together that you skin your knuckles when they break free and your hands fly into the closest piece of sharp metal.

The engineers went to a lot of care with the design of the car. Under the spark plug cover their is a little tool that combines with one of the tools in the hatch (handle for the spark plug wrench, which is also in the hatch) to make a very useful tool for removing the spark plug wires (they are difficult to pull free otherwise). This is just one of many things like this.

I think you will enjoy your car. I know is my favorite car I have owned, and I have owned mostly small Japanese cars. I also think you will find that this car is much like your SE-R as it is about the same horsepower, similar weight, and just fun to drive, but you still should get great gas mileage. These are also a reliable BMW, only a few issues that I know of like window regulators.

ConMasta
11-04-2006, 12:13 AM
For sure I have a sport.. the car is stock with all the M trimmings as well as M-shifter and leather/cloth interior.

Yeah about the hex's... do you mean Torx sockets? I am about to invest in a set.. I noticed right away that I might be having trouble with all those torx in the interior. Also, What kind of common sockets are used? Like on many Nissans etc, we are die hard 10, 12, 14, and 17... what is it on BMWs? Im stockin up on tools now since I lost half my tool kit in the crash =P

As far as the car itself.. I definitely love it haha... although my old car was faster (I put in quite a few mods) I do like the impressive handling and the overall civility of the car.. the class upgrade is great too, what girl would take a Nissan over a beamer even if the nissan is faster.

1st gas tank I got 29mpg which included spirited highway and off the lot driving, 2nd tank I got 32mpg all in the city still with spurts of WOT here and there.

-Conan

DustenT
11-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Metric 10,11,12,13,15,16,17
and some of the suspension parts are US 1/2. <-- Yes, I'm sure

pnosker
11-04-2006, 03:23 PM
I had to use an 8mm the other day, just so you know. But almost every other time I had to use a 10 or 13mm.

DustenT
11-04-2006, 03:52 PM
oh yeah, 8 or 9 for the brake bleeders.

ventura2002
11-04-2006, 06:23 PM
congrats on the new ride. she's a beaut.
bet this is just your first, you'll get hooked.

saw pics of your accident & your lucky to
be here. sorry 'bout the car, but your life
is most important.
did the camry push you into the oncoming truck?
click it, or... well you know. worse things can
happen than a ticket.

ConMasta
11-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Last I heard, the damages were inconclusive as to who is at fault; however, it seems more than likely that the blame falls upon either me or the Camry driver. Neither of our cars had rear end damages, and our fronts were pretty much demolished by the semi. I remember nothing of the event.. the guy in the semi knows nothing, and the guy in the truck doesnt know. The camry driver however...... he was in a coma so he isnt talking.. I was told that he will live though. Its a very strange situation to be in not knowing if the whole thing was or wasnt your fault.

Not to preach.,.. but just be careful guys... just yesterday I was cut off by an accord driver who was talking on cell phone and tryin to change into my lane when the nose of my car was already at his passenger door.... its always safer to assume that no one else on the road knows how to drive....

-Conan

pnosker
11-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Mmmm... I love the 318ti's fuel economy. I get 38-40 mpg driving 40-50 most of the way and 32-34 city in the morning in my 1998 Active. It has a K&N and ANSA Sport exhaust, but that's about it.

planetace
11-05-2006, 04:00 AM
Welcome to the boards bro!:dance:
Everyone here is really chill, Congrats on your new bimmer as well.
I'm really sorry about your accident. But I am really glad that your alive and able to walk away from it. It must be a very shocking and life changing experience what your going through. Just remember, everything happens for a reason... I can understand what your going through bro, I was in a motorcycle accident and almost lost my life too, I was in the hospital for 3 months and I couldnt walk. Thankfully Im alive and able to walk away from it.
On a much more pleasant note, again welcome to 318ti.org you'll really enjoy your 318ti!:biggrin:
Take it easy-
Serg.

Fred
11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey Conan, it's funny because I am in the same boat as you! Well, sorta. I'm a BMW guy but bought a 92 SE-R two years ago for a daily driver. Liked the car a lot, fixed the suspension up, repainted it with Sunny and Tsuru stuff, etc, then got tired of it. It's for sale on the sr20forum:

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?p=1713639

I just put some money down yesterday for an Avus Blue '98 Sport. I'll pick the car up in December when the current owner's brand new twin turbo 335i arrives.

Anyway, very nice car. Welcome to the world of German cars!

ConMasta
11-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Hot dammmmm Fred... that is really one sickkkk B13... you should have no problem on selling it.. its very clean and tasteful.. with B14 SE-R rims

I still love SR20s man... my very first car I bought for myself.. I had so much history with it doin repairs and mods and feelin like a badass haha.

Post pics of that avus blue when you get it.. you got any mods planned? I myself am looking into x brace and E30/E36 rear shock mounts as well as an audio upgrade.

-Conan