PDA

View Full Version : Bad idle

grukes
11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
My 98 Ti has been idling bad for about month and a half now. Doesn't do it all the time, either early in the morning when its been sitting all night or occasionally at stop lights or when I leave it running. It has never stalled, but sounds like it wants to. When it is idling bad, it hesitates when I give it gas, then eventually takes off and runs fine once I get going. Any ideas on what could be causing this idle?

weezer
11-07-2006, 06:59 PM
TPS (throttle position sensor, CPS (cam position sensor), throttle body needs cleaning, MAF sensor needs cleaning, air filter needs replacing, fuel filter replacement, ignition wires, etc, etc.
First and easy, buy throttle body (not carb.) cleaner, use it and and wipe off excess liquid. If problem persists, disconnect the TPS on the side of the throttle body and if it stops, the TPS need to be replaced. Fuel filter replacement (if never replaced) will be a good quick and easy fix (but not cheap).....Good Luck.

tastade
11-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Do we have detailed instructions for cleaning the air flow sensor? Whether from the M42 or M44, don't they use different sensors? One is a MAF and the other is something else. Which is which? I can't search for MAF in the search tool since it doesn't let me search less than 4 characters.

aceyx
11-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Where are you located? If you're in a cold area, make sure your tank is always full. Condensation can form in the tank and put water in the fuel. A bottle of dry gas and a tank of 93 should fix that.

If the normal maintenance items have been done according to schedule (air/fuel filter) and no engine codes have been thrown recently, I think weezer has the best advice.

bucksworld
11-28-2006, 08:37 PM
I have the same problem with my idle. It will start surgeing up and down between 500-950 rpm. Has my brain taken a crap? I have replaces and tuned everything u can think of. I might have to go to the dealer and get some test done. I also put slick 50 and change to synthetic oil. Maybe my head needs work? It does have 140,000mi. It does act up mostly in the morning. I live in Florida.

frustrated too

pdxmotorhead
11-29-2006, 06:00 AM
Symptoms match a cracked air tube as well.....
The big rubber tube between the Air flow sensor and the throttle body.

Mine cracke don the back side, would act up when engine cold or randomly when sitting at lights or taking off etc..

Dave

bucksworld
11-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Yes...I have been doing some more homework on this and it looks like the air mass is the problem; broken gaskets or rubber connector. The prior owner changed the air intake system. I might install a more expensive air intake system. we will see...thanks

bucksworld
11-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Cosmo has a good intake filter and intake system.