PDA

View Full Version : anyone into underground hip hop?

chris p
11-11-2006, 11:19 PM
ive been jaming el p, aesop rock, can ox and al those def jux artists for a while. i need to find some new acts to rock. anyone found anything new and fresh out there recently? share!

DustenT
11-12-2006, 12:01 AM
ive been jaming el p, aesop rock, can ox and al those def jux artists for a while. i need to find some new acts to rock. anyone found anything new and fresh out there recently? share!

Check out: http://www.pandora.com/ All you do is type in an artist's name and it finds similar artists. Best of all....it's free. Open source!!!

chris p
11-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Check out: http://www.pandora.com/ All you do is type in an artist's name and it finds similar artists. Best of all....it's free. Open source!!!

yeah i have that, its definitely good stuff, just wondering if anyone had some other suggestions.

iananderson02
11-12-2006, 03:46 AM
I know its not so so underground but i've been listening to immortal technique, atmosphere and my best friends group the earthworms. Check the earthworms out at myspace.com/earthworms. They have a really great, professionally recorded and produced cd that is fully worth the 10 bucks. anyway, enough with the shameless plug...
-ian

chris p
11-12-2006, 04:48 AM
I know its not so so underground but i've been listening to immortal technique, atmosphere and my best friends group the earthworms. Check the earthworms out at myspace.com/earthworms. They have a really great, professionally recorded and produced cd that is fully worth the 10 bucks. anyway, enough with the shameless plug...
-ian

IT is a little too rap and angry for my likings. ill check out your friends group.

upstatenybimmer
11-12-2006, 07:14 AM
immortal technique is great. even if you dont like rap or music for that matter you can respect what hes saying in his rhymes. check out the pharcyde if you are wanting something not as much nyc style rap like IT.

dont know much about underground rap but im a drummer and im all about going to shows (mostly jam bands). last week i took the TI to cornell university to see trey anastasio from phish. damn that was a good show. i love being in ithaca, ny. its a hippie mecca and a breeding ground for making and listening to live music.

if you wanna hear something fresh; check out these guys....its just organ and drums. i say its punk/jazz that anybody can get down with.

http://www.myspace.com/beneventorussoduocom

robcarync
11-12-2006, 08:14 AM
ive been into some underground rap/hip hop lately....im a fan of deltron 3030....awesome album (deltron 3030) about the year 3030 where the world is run by corrupt businesses and machines and deltron and dan the automator are going to intergalactic rap battles to try and keep music alive!

its kinda weird if you think about it but del the phunky homosapien has some sick flow

jedi mind tricks is also on the top of my playlists right now...i like the torture papers album.

neither of which is new....quite old actually....but if youve never heard it its worth a listen i think

chris p
11-12-2006, 08:28 AM
ive been into some underground rap/hip hop lately....im a fan of deltron 3030....awesome album (deltron 3030) about the year 3030 where the world is run by corrupt businesses and machines and deltron and dan the automator are going to intergalactic rap battles to try and keep music alive!

its kinda weird if you think about it but del the phunky homosapien has some sick flow

jedi mind tricks is also on the top of my playlists right now...i like the torture papers album.

neither of which is new....quite old actually....but if youve never heard it its worth a listen i think

if i could listen to one jedi mind song without hearing the word "faggot" being rhymed with "maggot", i would like them a lot more.

iananderson02
11-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I have to agree with you upstate. I'm not that into rap, much more into hip hop: pharcyde, tribe, brand nubian, ect. I just can't deny smart hip hop, no matter how angry, and immortal technique is definitely that.

And chris, I think the earthworms will be right up your alley, very smart, NOT angry, just good good stuff!

mohaughn
11-12-2006, 04:53 PM
If you are a fan of aesop rock I take it you have heard all of the stuff they have done with Evil Nine? Dj Shadow'ss newest album probably has a few songs that you will like.. Some of them are more violent thug rap, but a few of them have that english style to it. I also like Charlie Tuna and some of the guys that he works with... Also hydroponic sound system, which has kind of a jazz fusion sound to it.. Umm.. Steady Diggin Workshop is kind of similiar..

The latest Krafty Kuts album is kind of a mix of hiphop, dance, and funk.. Kind of an interesting album if you are into funk.. The freestylers new album is also very similiar and has a few good hiphop albums on it.. If you are looking for just hiphop though I would not suggest these albums..

And of course if you haven't listened to the stuff on the label Ninja Tunes I suggest checking them out.

robcarync
11-13-2006, 08:29 AM
if i could listen to one jedi mind song without hearing the word "faggot" being rhymed with "maggot", i would like them a lot more.

interesting...i have not yet noticed a JMT song rhyming faggot with maggot...

maybe im not listening close enough but i havent noticed that rhyme scheme in the three albums i have (outer space, violent by design, torture papers)

after a google search of jedi mind tricks lyrics, it seems two songs have that rhyme scheme...nada cambia and the age of sacred terror...neither of which i have ever heard which may explain why i havent noticed the faggot/maggot lines

m3outtanowhere
11-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Finally! God! A freggin u/g hip-hop thread. Here is a step into my world...

Visionaries, Zion-I , Atmosphere, Mind clouders, Swollen Members, 3.M.G., Supernatural, scarub, planet Asia, The procussions, Living Legends, Jedi Mind Tricks, Haiku D'Etat, Eli, The Grouch, Pep Love, Grand Vanacular, Gang Starr, Felt/ 1 and 2, Eyedea, Murz, Dj Babu(duck season 1,2,3), Dilated peoples, Del Da Funky Homosapien, Defari, Cali Agents, Chali 2na, Bronze Nazareth, Brand Nubian feat. Grand Puba, Blackalicious, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The beatnuts, The Beat junkies, Asheru and Blue Black, Artifacts, Aceyalone, Absract Rude & Zion and try 2mex.

Its a SHORT list from my iPOD. Try them out...ALL OF THEM! lol

I would recommend checking out www.upabove.com

enjoy that list because "it might just be priceless info into another frame of mindstate"

ENJOY!:cool:

chris p
11-13-2006, 03:43 PM
interesting...i have not yet noticed a JMT song rhyming faggot with maggot...

maybe im not listening close enough but i havent noticed that rhyme scheme in the three albums i have (outer space, violent by design, torture papers)

after a google search of jedi mind tricks lyrics, it seems two songs have that rhyme scheme...nada cambia and the age of sacred terror...neither of which i have ever heard which may explain why i havent noticed the faggot/maggot lines

i guess on my shuffle, those are the only two songs that come up then, haha

robcarync
11-16-2006, 11:18 PM
gang starr, talib kweli, mos def....

cool yo!

schussey
11-19-2006, 04:05 AM
Aesop Rock
Mos Def & Taleb (Blackstar)
Swollen Members
Killa Preis
MF Doom
The Roots
Heiroglyphics
Planet Asia
RJD2
Yak Ballz
Copywrite
Weathermen

Plenty more, underground hip hop is the only kind I like

-chris

iananderson02
11-19-2006, 04:30 PM
I'll second Blackstar and Heiroglyphics, both undeniably good

chris p
11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
gang starr, talib kweli, mos def....

cool yo!
artists like talib kweli, hi tek, dead prez, and artists like that are ok but alot of thier stuff is a bit more "radio" than hip hop. the new hi tek cd for example, there are some great songs on there, but then others (such as the one with busta rhymes) are garbage and sound like they belong on the radio top 40.

Freezin Frits
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Cage, Jedi mind tricks, immortal technique , one be lo, atmosphere

Ji Money
12-13-2006, 04:35 AM
I just got Nas' album, Hip Hop is Dead. Heard the first few tracks. Sounds good so far. I also got Lil Scrappy's new album, Bred 2 Die Born 2 Live.

I've was listening to T.I.'s "Urban Legend" album coming to work today. I was bumping LL Cool J's "Momma Said Knock You Out" album for the last month everyday straght! That album won a Grammy yo! Or at least the song, "Around the way Girl" did.

I guess you're asking about underground stuff though. The last one I was listening to was, Micranots, Obeliske Movements.