PDA

View Full Version : 316i Compact OnBoard Computer Retrofit

championc
11-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me with details of the parts required to retrofit a 2 button OBC into a Compact.

I know I need the following
1. The OBC Unit with thin connection wiring
2. Selector Stalk
Are there any other bits?

Also, where does the OBC connect to ? Should there be a spare socket on the rear of the instrument cluster ?

Cormac

L84THSKY
11-14-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm planning on doing that retrofit this Sunday. You will need a harness to connect everything. I was wondering if there is anything behind the cluster to deal with too. I don't think there is. I can see what parts I have at home, to give you a more precise parts list. I don't have the OBC computer/clock , so I will not actually be completing this mod on Sunday.

Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me with details of the parts required to retrofit a 2 button OBC into a Compact.

2. Selector Stalk

Also, where does the OBC connect to ? Should there be a spare socket on the rear of the instrument cluster ?

Cormac

J!m
11-14-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm reasonably certain you connect to the ECU, and not the cluster. But, I don't have one and don't plan to, so I am not the authority on this...

L84THSKY
11-15-2006, 12:22 AM
I think I have the BMW retrofit instructions, need to read through them again.

Hi all,

2. Selector Stalk

Cormac

championc
11-15-2006, 09:41 PM
With the Compact, can someone please tell me how or where does the Compact two button unit get it's fuel consumption details from?

Cormac

1996 328ti
11-17-2006, 02:11 PM
E36/5 On Board Computer Installation

championc
11-18-2006, 01:55 AM
You are an absolute star - thank's a million for this. I now know what I'm letting myself in for which thankfully looks reasonably straight forward.

Cormac

championc
11-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Sorry guys,

One final (I hope) question.

It says on the instructions that the "vehicle data must be programmed into the unit within 36 hrs"

If I bought a second hand unit which came from a 316i, would this mean that this step would NOT be required ?

Cormac

L84THSKY
11-18-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm starting this update tomorrow, and I do not have the OBC computer. I wonder if I install all the wiring, and leave the cable that connects to the computer off, is the 36 hour time limit an issue.

Sorry guys,

One final (I hope) question.

It says on the instructions that the "vehicle data must be programmed into the unit within 36 hrs"

If I bought a second hand unit which came from a 316i, would this mean that this step would NOT be required ?

Cormac

John Firestone
11-18-2006, 05:46 PM
If I bought a second hand unit which came from a 316i, would this mean that this step would NOT be required ?If it came from a car with the same engine, there's a good chance you can skip the coding.

championc
11-19-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm starting this update tomorrow, and I do not have the OBC computer. I wonder if I install all the wiring, and leave the cable that connects to the computer off, is the 36 hour time limit an issue.

Can you please let me know the part number of the Wiring Loom that you are installing since it looks as though there could be two possible ones.

It will be interesting to hear how well the BMW instructions match up to your actual experience

Cormac

John Firestone
11-19-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm starting this update tomorrow, and I do not have the OBC computer. I wonder if I install all the wiring, and leave the cable that connects to the computer off, is the 36 hour time limit an issue.As long as you don't plug in the computer it will be fine.

Good luck and wire away!

Gepard325
11-21-2006, 01:32 AM
How code OBC?? Please help.

John Firestone
11-21-2006, 09:09 AM
After you wire up the OBC, you take the car to a BMW dealer, they will hook it up to their workshop computer and then "code" (program) the OBC so that it knows what is in the car.

Gepard325
11-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I have 323ti with OBC but display shows PPP:(

John Firestone
11-21-2006, 11:39 AM
That could signal an internal failure, or that the OBC has never been coded or has lost its coding data. I hope, in your case, it is one of the latter possibilities, as that can be cured by having a dealer recode the unit -- at least that's true for its big brother.

championc
03-18-2007, 07:41 PM
So I have finally finished the OBC retrofit but not quite with the ease in which I thought at the beginning. I started by replacing the stalk which was straightforward. Armed with the BMW retrofit instructions (referring to the wiring layout on the bottom of page 4, Diagram No.2,

I got the wiring loom and firstly plugged in the OBC unit (a) followed by the connector to the stalk (c). I then joined up the two earth cables (b) to any earth I could find (all earth wires were brown - I never found any Brown/Orange). Next I went for the six wires (d to i) that were to be connected to the fan connector under the instrument panel. On my car, only two strips had space to add another wire so I had to use scotch clips to join the other four onto existing clips. The instructions said to concentrate on the wiring positions and NOT on the colours. However, nowhere could I find anywhere giving a layout of the fan connector so I hadn't a clue where X182, X183, X188 etc were located so I could only go by the matching colours which worked out fine.

Now the fun started. The next one up was the fuel sensor (j). I eventuall located the connector in the footwell but it was impossible to find the cable to snip within the mass of wires. I aborted this and decided to connect it at the back of the instrument panel instead. The wire was Pin 1 on the small black 12 pin connector.

Next up was to get the cables through the bulkhead. I could not release the clasp holding the wiring loom in place. I eventually decided to punch a hole through the same plastic panel under the loom. Installing the temp sensor (n) was easy but the final piece was the TI Sensor (m)

I found the X20 connector under the battery tray. However, plug in station No. 24 was already filled. From wiring diagrams, it would appear that it should be connected to Pin 25 on the blue 26 pin connector on the rear of the instrumental panel which is what was suggested in Diagram 13.

Hopefully this will prove useful for anyone else who decides to embark on this. It's a piece of cake in hindsight. My problems were so easily solvable but I wasted ages in the first place trying to do things by the book.

Cormac

Rich
03-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Super write up,

I bought an OBC for my 316 (328) compact of ebay in Germany. It comes with loom, stack, obc unit.

I imagine my install will be similar to yours, start by going by the book, then throw the book out and just wire it in. I already have an mpg wire from installing a new dash with mpg guage. I noticed the other day that I already have a temp sensor in the brake duct so i'll just need to find where the wire goes to.

Did you have any trouble with the coding, or did it just work?

championc
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
The one I bought was for the same car as mine, a 316i 1.9 so no re-coding necessary. I reckoned that any gains that I might make with buying the bits on eBay could be wiped out by a re-coding by BMW. And you're snookered if they decided to charge you a fortune to re-code it. Be prepared to sell the OBC to buy one already coded for your Compact

The Compact OBC's are very rare on the UK eBay so could get decent price there if needed

C

Rich
03-19-2007, 01:33 AM
I may end up with a little trouble since my car doesn't exist, originally having an m43b16 now m52b28.

Will see how it goes. Maybe if I leave out the diagnostic link connections (WS/VI & WS/GE) it won't lock up. The other inputs are only simple signals for temperature/speed/mpg/program mode/+ve/-ve/lights on.

Worst comes to worst I can see if I can get a fixed quote from my local BMW to reset the module. I've heard some horrible stories from e46 owners who installed LED tail lights and needed to get the light switch coded & being charged £££ for the privilege.

John Firestone
03-19-2007, 12:37 PM
I imagine my install will be similar to yours, start by going by the book, then throw the book out and just wire it in.Having been in this situation before, I might instead suggest asking about what you find unclear or wrong in the BMW installation instructions. With one big exception, I haven't read much that was "going by the book" as directed by the instructions. Why? Because the instructions assume you already know "the book" and therefore leave it out!

I think you might have an easier install if you were to ask more questions: to learn the missing book and some tricks and shortcuts you won't find in it. That certainly helped me. But to do that, first one has to become socratic, recognize one's ignorance and ask questions!

John Firestone
03-19-2007, 04:42 PM
I found the X20 connector under the battery tray. However, plug in station No. 24 was already filled. From wiring diagrams, it would appear that it should be connected to Pin 25 on the blue 26 pin connector on the rear of the instrumental panel which is what was suggested in Diagram 13.My ETM shows X17 pin 25 as not used. X20 pin 24 is the 'ti' (fuel injection signal) from the DME.

I have a couple questions:
Does your car have an automatic transmission?
Is the OBC displaying plausible fuel consumption values?

Rich
03-19-2007, 06:58 PM
My car did not have any connection on pin 24 on the car loom side of the x20 connector. When I added the MPG gauge dash I had to add an extra connection to pin 24. This was connected to connector x16 pin 21 in the back of the dash. (see here (http://328compact.co.uk/index.php?section=12))

I wrote up a comparison on the x20. See here > http://www.318ti.org/forum/showpost.php?p=96661&postcount=27
Its a zipped excel file. Other

John Firestone
03-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Right. Cluster connector X16, pin 21 would be the input to the fuel consumption gauge on a saloon, but not, if I make no mistake, on a compact cluster, as it doesn't have one.

You have a manual transmission, yes?

I am sorry that I can't look at your file: it is in a proprietary format.

Rich
03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Mine car is manual.
Pin 21 on the X16 connector, the ETM for compact shows this as 'not used'. As you mentioned I am using a saloon/coupe dash.

(attachment is the chart saved in a tab delimited text file format)

John Firestone
03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Thank you for your answers and the new file. In case you are wondering, since I don't have a compact, I am double checking the documents I do have for errors. From past experience, I know there are a few in there!

L84THSKY
03-19-2007, 09:09 PM
This mod is coming up shortly for me. Are there any lessons learned for those driving a 318ti, manual tranny, USA spec?

I have the BMW OBC retrofit instructions, just haven't read them in detail.

Thank you for your answers and the new file. In case you are wondering, since I don't have a compact, I am double checking the documents I do have for errors. From past experience, I know there are a few in there!

John Firestone
03-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I believe you will find X20 pin 24 (hanging off the engine-facing wall of the fusebox) is not occupied and that you "only" have to run the corresponding contact to it, unlock X20, add it and relock X20. I expect, you will pass through the left side firewall and fusebox, one of the more exciting paths through the car. :rolleyes:

Do you know the standard trick for feeding wires into the fusebox?

I imagine I could off some other suggestions were I to read through the installation instructions. (I am not sure if you just asked.)

Rich
03-20-2007, 12:21 PM
You could look for an alternative grommet through the firewall into the car. As my car is RHD I had one under the battery tray. For LHD you have the brake cylinder/servo in the way.
You could run the wiring through the engine loom holder to the other side of the car, there should be a grommet over there. In the UK version the outside temperature sensor wire & water pump wires go through there.

Rich
03-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I've just completed the install on my compact. Took a bit of time to get it all wired in. I ended up soldering the fuel level sensor wire into the wire that goes to the instrument cluster. (connector X271 pin 1 (brown/yellow) This is the black connector), other than that I pretty much followed the instructions from the installed guide posted in this thread.

Does anyone know how to change the compact obc from kmh to mph? I'm guessing there is a specail combination of buttons to access the service menu.

The normal menu is accessed by pressing S/R and clock at the same time. Using the indicator button you can move through the menu options. Then with the clock button make changes. To save changes press S/R to cancel changes press the indicator button.

this gives access to :-
# 01 time format (12/24h)
# 02 Display Test
# 03 Usage correction
# 04 shows "LSP" und beeps( no idea what this means?)
# 05 Temperature format

vaki
03-27-2007, 08:09 AM
I have finally finished the OBC retrofit on my compact '94 ! I've just
completed install the wiring harness, OBC and outside temperature sensor.
When I pressing S/R and clock at the same time, on the display show
only CLOCK, and nothing more!? I think I have a trouble with the coding.
My OBC was never before coding.. It says on the instructions that the
"THE SYSTEM MUST BE CODED WITHIN 36 HOURS AFTER FITTING!"
How I can code OBC?? Please help!

championc
03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I could be wrong but I think only BMW can do this. I assume that it is done via the diagnostic plug in the Engine area

C

Rich
03-27-2007, 03:47 PM
I've spoken to my local BMW dealer about changing the language. They were not 100% sure how to fix it, however they believed that my unit would need to be recoded.
However I don't feel like spending £60+ on 3 minutes work.

vaki
03-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I think, that have a "hidden OBC functions"
That can help us, without a BMW dealer..
And I'll find them ..

L84THSKY
07-29-2007, 10:17 PM
I just started closely reading my OBC instructions, was gonna install the harness today, but rained all day.

I totally agree about the X183, X184..etc identifications. You can't see any of that crap, so you MUST go by the colors. Found that out wiring Cruise Control and Fog lights.

As you mentioned the hardest part is item "J" and "M" in the instructions.

I've posted three pics detailing all the necessary data.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2462/obccablelistqp7.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3975/obcinstructionslq5.jpg
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1237/obcdiagramgk0.jpg

You're saying for item "J", tap into pin #1 of the black 12 pin connector of the gauge cluster? The kit came with a fan connector and some piggy back wiring. But you're saying I can avoid that mess in the instructions by using the gauge cluster pin#1?

For item "M", I should find it in my engine compartment? I don't see what problem that step should be. My car is a manual tranny. Can you make sure I haven't missed anything?

This seems totally backwards. The picture is showing item "M" tapping into the gauge cluster, and you said you put item "J" into the cluster. Please explain both "J" and "M" as clearly as possible.

I hate all the piggy back taps I have installed for my fog lights and cruise control. I'm not convinced all are making good contact. What I want to do is buy some of those fan connectors from the dealer, and add more spades to the current fan connectors, basically do it right.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=61_1349&hg=61&fg=15

On my car, only two strips had space to add another wire so I had to use scotch clips to join the other four onto existing clips. The instructions said to concentrate on the wiring positions and NOT on the colours. However, nowhere could I find anywhere giving a layout of the fan connector so I hadn't a clue where X182, X183, X188 etc were located so I could only go by the matching colours which worked out fine.

Now the fun started. The next one up was the fuel sensor (j). I eventually located the connector in the footwell but it was impossible to find the cable to snip within the mass of wires. I aborted this and decided to connect it at the back of the instrument panel instead. The wire was Pin 1 on the small black 12 pin connector.

Next up was to get the cables through the bulkhead. I could not release the clasp holding the wiring loom in place. I eventually decided to punch a hole through the same plastic panel under the loom. Installing the temp sensor (n) was easy but the final piece was the TI Sensor (m)

I found the X20 connector under the battery tray. However, plug in station No. 24 was already filled. From wiring diagrams, it would appear that it should be connected to Pin 25 on the blue 26 pin connector on the rear of the instrumental panel which is what was suggested in Diagram 13.

Cormac

championc
07-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I made 2 connections onto the plugs at the rear of the instrument panel

"J" - onto Pin 1 on the small black 12 pin connector.

"M" - onto Pin 25 on the blue 26 pin connector.

Cormac

L84THSKY
07-31-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm gonna see if I can install "M" in the proper location in the engine compartment. If I can't, then I'll use the cluster.

"J" definitely looks easier in the gauge cluster. Just ordered a sh!t load of fan connectors from the dealer. Gonna re-do all my taps, fog lights, cruise control and soon to be OBC. OBC is going in Thursday, car will be coded by dealer Saturday morning.:smile:

I made 2 connections onto the plugs at the rear of the instrument panel

"J" - onto Pin 1 on the small black 12 pin connector.

"M" - onto Pin 25 on the blue 26 pin connector.

Cormac

championc
07-31-2007, 09:05 AM
My problem was that there was already a connection in the position on the engine compartment connector so I had no choice but to go with connecting it at the back of the instrument panel.

I just used scotch clips everywhere because, while some of the fan connectors had spare connectors free, others did not.

Cormac

L84THSKY
07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Same here. But since I have the time, better to use all fan connectors. You just buy larger fan connectors, if there are no more additional spots.

I just used scotch clips everywhere because, while some of the fan connectors had spare connectors free, others did not.

Cormac

L84THSKY
08-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Just finishing wiring in the OBC. Cleaned up all my taps from the Fog Light and Cruise Control wiring too. Wish me luck, that both C.C. & OBC work when I see the dealer Saturday morning.

larryn
08-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Are you guys talking about the two button one activated by the directional stalk? Temp/Time/MPG/AvgMPH

If so, don't all the 318ti's come with that already?

L84THSKY
08-03-2007, 02:14 AM
You mean I already had it? All that time and money for nothin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHA.......nope, most cars did NOT have it, now I do.:biggrin:

Are you guys talking about the two button one activated by the directional stalk? Temp/Time/MPG/AvgMPH

If so, don't all the 318ti's come with that already?

L84THSKY
08-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Went to the dealership. This was the first time I actually got to speak DIRECTLY to the mechanic. He never heard of anyone retrofitting OBC or Cruise Control. Anyway, he went through his computer routine, and got the OBC coded.

I'll post in another thread the problems regarding Cruise Control.

Anyone care to give me or show me a detailed explanation of all the features of the OBC? Or maybe point me to a thread?:rolleyes:

championc
08-15-2007, 10:39 PM
All you can do is push in the stalk. This will rotate the display from the Temp to MPG to Miles Remaining to Avg Speed (could have the order wrong)

As for the two buttons, one is for the reset of the MPG or Avg Speed while both are used to set the clock.

So where did you end up installing the "M" connector ?

BTW, what size engine do you have and what is your average MPG and speed ? I drive between work and home. My average speed is under the 20mph and the MPG is about 17.5

Cormac

L84THSKY
08-15-2007, 11:04 PM
I used pin 1 of the 12 pin gauge cluster connector, and the other wire went into position 24 of the round X connector under the hood.

My MPG seems to be between 24 & 28 MPG. You have to keep reseting the MPH to get a reading. It is only accurate within a range, then it's useless till you reset. I drive about 70MPH to work on the highway, I think I'm doing pretty good on the mileage. I'm gonna do a few tune up items, and see if I can do better.:smile:

My engine is the 1.9 Liter

All you can do is push in the stalk. This will rotate the display from the Temp to MPG to Miles Remaining to Avg Speed (could have the order wrong)

As for the two buttons, one is for the reset of the MPG or Avg Speed while both are used to set the clock.

So where did you end up installing the "M" connector ?

BTW, what size engine do you have and what is your average MPG and speed ? I drive between work and home. My average speed is under the 20mph and the MPG is about 17.5

Cormac

L84THSKY
09-11-2007, 02:05 AM
I'm having doubts about some things regarding the OBC. Can anyone who has it stock in there cars confirm this issue. Set the OBC to MPH, and see if it tracks the MPH through different speeds. Then tell me if it reads zero when you are at a stop. Does it read accurately within a few % at all speeds?

Mine reads correct when driving between 30-70MPH. When I stop, it still says like 27MPH.

My concern is that the MPG is calculated from the MPH of the OBC, and it could be getting bad information.

In the Bentley Manual, the OBC, Wiper control and Cruise Control all get speed info from the same point off the gauge cluster. They all need speed to work correctly. I'm not convinced that the OBC is getting it's MPH info from the correct point. Maybe I need to recheck that wire.

John Firestone
09-11-2007, 06:19 AM
I am confused, which may be from getting up too early this morning. It reads zero when you are stopped, but reads 27 mph when you come to a stop again? :confused:

Doesn't the OBC uses the distance pulses it receives from the cluster in calculating its average MPG? I am not sure how the OBC could get the MPG right while you are moving unless that signal is good.

L84THSKY
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
It never reads zero MPH when I am stopped. It usually sits at about 27 MPH.

I wasn't sure where it gets the distance info to calculate MPG. If it uses distance pulses, then my MPG should be fine.

Why does my MPH not read accurately when moving and when stopped?

I am confused, which may be from getting up too early this morning. It reads zero when you are stopped, but reads 27 mph when you come to a stop again? :confused:

Doesn't the OBC uses the distance pulses it receives from the cluster in calculating its average MPG? I am not sure how the OBC could get the MPG right while you are moving unless that signal is good.

championc
09-11-2007, 12:26 PM
How do you read the actual MPG ? Are you pressing the reset button ? Mine only gives the Time, Temp, Avg Speed, Miles Remaining in Tank and MPG.

My MPG calculates at 19.0 ish but when I did a manual calculation, I worked out I was getting about 25 MPG

Cormac

L84THSKY
09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
That's an odd question. I read miles per gallon by reading the MPG on my OBC. I have reset it before, but when I leave it be, it eventually averages out to about 25MPG.

I was only concerned about the MPG being accurate, because my MPH was NOT accurate. Since they do not use each other's info to make calculations, my MPG should be correct.

Can you answer my original question? Does your MPH (average speed...whatever you call it) read accurately when moving and when stopped?

How do you read the actual MPG ?

championc
09-12-2007, 12:31 AM
My average MPH starts to reduce when I stop at lights. If you drive for a mile at 30mph and arrive at the lights and stop, it should start dropping while you are stopped but it should never go to zero since you did some distance at 30 MPH

C

L84THSKY
09-12-2007, 04:06 AM
I guess since it is an average, it never really reads instantaneous speed.

In the Bentley Manual, the OBC, Wiper control and Cruise Control all get speed info from the same point off the gauge cluster.

This is a repeat, but I did not get an answer to this issue. I need to get my Cruise Control to read speed off the gauge cluster. Any one know where I should be tapping? Seems there are more than one place to get MPH/speed on the cluster.

John Firestone
09-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Per the ETM, road speed is X17 pin 2, .5 SW/WS (black/white). Personally, I would use a comb terminal to splice in at junction X188, supposedly on the left side of the driver's footwell.

L84THSKY
09-12-2007, 01:37 PM
I just looked at the OEM retrofit instructions, that wire was part of my install. I connected black/white to X188 on the fan connector.

The dealer said the C.C. computer isn't reading the speed from the gauge cluster. That could only mean the connection is bad. I doubt the cluster is bad. That speed indicator wire must be used for other features that are working. correctly.

Do you see the OBC, C.C. and wiper regulator all using that same black/white wire in your ETM?

Per the ETM, road speed is X17 pin 2, .5 SW/WS (black/white). Personally, I would use a comb terminal to splice in at junction X188, supposedly on the left side of the driver's footwell.

championc
09-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Given that you get an average, you can only get an instantaneous reading the second you reset it. I will have a go tomorrow driving at 10 mph constant and see if it reads off as 10 MPH. I will try other speeds too.

I know from my GPS that the dial is over by 5mph so it will be interesting to see what speed it gives me.

Cormac

John Firestone
09-12-2007, 04:31 PM
here you go

L84THSKY
09-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I'll take a look at that fan connector again, when I get the chance. I know I had to make a jumper to an added fan connector on some wires, because the fan connector was full.

If the OBC is using that wire, but only displays average speed, then the input to the OBC is instantaneous, and the displayed value is average.

I'm just trying to be sure the gauge cluster is outputting correct, and my problem is only at the fan connector.

here you go

John Firestone
09-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm just trying to be sure the gauge cluster is outputting correct, and my problem is only at the fan connector.I expect your cruise control would feel like it was acting up if the cluster were outputting a bad speed signal.

I know I had to make a jumper to an added fan connector on some wires, because the fan connector was full.Just so long as you don't use those evil Scotchlok IDCs....

L84THSKY
09-12-2007, 06:55 PM
I have never gotten the Cruise Control to work yet, it's being retrofitted. Acting up would mean atleast it's working. I have not gotten any positive confirmation about any function of the Cruise Control working yet. Until I get the speed sensor wire working to the C.C. computer, it's totally useless.

I expect your cruise control would feel like it was acting up if the cluster were outputting a bad speed signal.

Just so long as you don't use those evil Scotchlok IDCs....

John Firestone
09-12-2007, 08:07 PM
The E36/2-E36/4 cruise controls are fairly sensitive to the road speed signal. In fact, I used mine and a ZZKE controller I was testing against it, to expose a software bug in my OBC's instantaneous speed calculations! It doesn't become significant until you pass roughly 150 km/h / 95 mph.

In another test, the cruise control revealed some jitter I had introduced into the vehicle speed signal that you could just see in the speedometer needle if you watched it carefully. The speedometer, BTW, makes a pretty good frequency meter. :)

oakley
09-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Ok iv just aquired the obc.I take it from reading this I now need to aquire a stalk!! and i cant use it without? Looking at it im not going to be able to wire all the functions in..It all looks too complicated to me but I do want outside temp so if all I can get working is time and temp thats cool...Bearing that in mind is the stalk needed?

RenanMoreira
11-08-2008, 05:20 PM
MY OBC Shows PPP too, please help us!!!

'95 318ti Violettschwarz

championc
11-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Ok iv just aquired the obc.I take it from reading this I now need to aquire a stalk!! and i cant use it without? Looking at it im not going to be able to wire all the functions in..It all looks too complicated to me but I do want outside temp so if all I can get working is time and temp thats cool...Bearing that in mind is the stalk needed?

Did you get sorted ? If you follow the details in my post #17 or that of #35 you can't go far wrong. It's fairly simple once you can use a screwdriver

C

L84THSKY
09-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I recently tried to sort out the Cruise Control issue, still no luck. It really sucks that there is no visual indicator on the dash when the Cruise Control is on/activated. I'm running blind hoping I get that last wire sorted out.

here you go

oakley
09-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Na I didnt put any more effort in!! The obc is still kicking around in my boot!! Really could do with taking a look at it again tho as my old clock led screen burst in the cold weather so its bleeding abit at the mo!!

John Firestone
09-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I recently tried to sort out the Cruise Control issue, still no luck. It really sucks that there is no visual indicator on the dash when the Cruise Control is on/activated. I'm running blind hoping I get that last wire sorted out.I have a controller detect when the cruise control is engaged by watching the high side of the actuator clutch (X22 pin 23):

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/john/misc/tempomat_clutch.gif

I don't know how much current you can draw off the cruise control module nor what kind of inductive kick comes off the clutch. I designed for the worst case.

Alexandre VTS
11-20-2009, 01:37 AM
MY OBC Shows PPP too, please help us!!!

'95 318ti Violettschwarz

I have this problem here too. Yesterday change my battery, and this shows up.

Any advice?

harriman
03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
That's an odd question. I read miles per gallon by reading the MPG on my OBC. I have reset it before, but when I leave it be, it eventually averages out to about 25MPG.

I was only concerned about the MPG being accurate, because my MPH was NOT accurate. Since they do not use each other's info to make calculations, my MPG should be correct.

Can you answer my original question? Does your MPH (average speed...whatever you call it) read accurately when moving and when stopped?

MPH is an AVERAGE speed over the course of the trip. if you reset it while stopped it will read 0

harriman
03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I have this problem here too. Yesterday change my battery, and this shows up.

Any advice?

PPP here too after jump start. did anyone fix the ppp issue yet? or does it have to go back to dealer?

Alexandre VTS
03-02-2011, 05:50 PM
I bought a new onboard computer. Find a cheap brand new on germany, so didn't wasted my time and money with dealer. But next time, that I'll change my battery, I'll disconect the OBC

harriman
03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
I bought a new onboard computer. Find a cheap brand new on germany, so didn't wasted my time and money with dealer. But next time, that I'll change my battery, I'll disconect the OBC

How do you disconnect the OBC? I can't seem to get the wire harness off the back of the unit.

If i order a new OBC do I have to get it reprogrammed?

championc
03-02-2011, 06:10 PM
I tried a few times by disconnecting the unit completely for a few days. At one stage, it suddenly started working again out of the blue and then when back to it's old ways. Sadly, I've now said goodbye to my E36 Compact but am enjoying my replacement - an E46 Convertible !!

C

harriman
03-02-2011, 06:12 PM
I tried a few times by disconnecting the unit completely for a few days. At one stage, it suddenly started working again out of the blue and then when back to it's old ways. Sadly, I've now said goodbye to my E36 Compact but am enjoying my replacement - an E46 Convertible !!

C

How do you disconnect the unit? I can't seem to get the wire harness off the computer .. any suggestions?

championc
03-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Lever the clock / unit out. Just use a small flat screwdriver and put if around the sides, only in about 0.3mm and start levering it out. Once out, simply disconnect the electrical connection off the back.

C

Alexandre VTS
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
How do you disconnect the OBC? I can't seem to get the wire harness off the back of the unit.

If i order a new OBC do I have to get it reprogrammed?

Well,

As I remeber, was not complicated to unplug the OBC.

In my case, wasn't need any reprogram. Just pluged, and voilá! :smile:

harriman
03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Well,

As I remeber, was not complicated to unplug the OBC.

In my case, wasn't need any reprogram. Just pluged, and voilá! :smile:

I will have to give it a try again when i get home. Anyone have a picture of the ObC not connected? So I can see the back?

eck1980
04-24-2011, 02:03 AM
Hi folks im wanting to fit the OBC to my 1999 TI had a read through the thread and the parts i need are the OBC unit with wiring loom and selector stalk is this correct? cheers

Marv17
09-23-2014, 09:25 AM
(I decided to add to this existing thread.)

So I did my obc retrofit today in my s52 318ti. Took me about 1 hour or so to take it out of the donor car in the junkyard. $11 bucks versus $100 bucks online or dealer. It took me 4 hours to complete; had to prepare the wiring I took out. Fixed the plugs to make it an easier task once I started. I taped it all up nicely as well so wires wouldn't be all over the place. I read up on the pdf file of the instructions and also followed the color coded wires to know where they were supposed to go. Taking it out of the donor car also helped me out as well.
Well I went thru the functions of the obc and 1 option has me puzzled what it is. Option 4. It just has an "M" and a number. Don't know what it means though. My mpg is almost on point. I went for a drive and it was about the same read out as my mpg gauge on my cluster (mind you I have a swap and swapped in the cluster as well).
Can anyone enlighten me what option 4 is please?

Option 1: clock

Option 2: temperature 15216

Option 3: MPG

Option 4: unsure what this is??

Option 5: MPH

John Firestone
09-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Me thinks the fourth display is the remaining RANGE in miles. Check out pages 32–34 of this BMW Driver Information Systems PDF (http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/part1driverino.pdf).

runnr548
11-06-2021, 02:42 AM
Very nice!

aluzjunior
01-03-2022, 06:03 PM
(I decided to add to this existing thread.)

So I did my obc retrofit today in my s52 318ti. Took me about 1 hour or so to take it out of the donor car in the junkyard. $11 bucks versus $100 bucks online or dealer. It took me 4 hours to complete; had to prepare the wiring I took out. Fixed the plugs to make it an easier task once I started. I taped it all up nicely as well so wires wouldn't be all over the place. I read up on the pdf file of the instructions and also followed the color coded wires to know where they were supposed to go. Taking it out of the donor car also helped me out as well.
Well I went thru the functions of the obc and 1 option has me puzzled what it is. Option 4. It just has an "M" and a number. Don't know what it means though. My mpg is almost on point. I went for a drive and it was about the same read out as my mpg gauge on my cluster (mind you I have a swap and swapped in the cluster as well).
Can anyone enlighten me what option 4 is please?

Option 1: clock

Option 2: temperature 15216

Option 3: MPG

Option 4: unsure what this is??

Option 5: MPH

Did you not get the "PPP" screen?