PDA

View Full Version : Problem when I'm slow to post a response

mohaughn
11-16-2006, 04:09 AM
OK, so this is not a big deal at all, just something that I've noticed.

When I'm at work, behind a firewall which causes me to have to relogin with vB, and I'm replying to a thread sometimes I get distracted and come back to the thread at some later point, the reply window is left open. When I hit submit, finished, or whatever the button says when you are submitting your post I will get prompted to re-login, this is normal behavior for vB with certain firewall/cookie combinations. Once I re-enter my credentials I will just get a white screen and the post is never submitted. I usually end up having to press back on my browser a few times, and then resubmitting the thread.

I've always thought this was just an issue with vB as this is the only forum I'm on that uses it. But another forum that I frequent has just recently upgraded to the latest version of vB and when the login issue occurs on that site and I re-enter my credentials it posts the reply properly without me having to hit back and resubmit...

roadrash
11-16-2006, 04:19 AM
(I've been meaning to ask about this for a while but kept forgetting. Thanks for the reminder. )

I see the same behavior with this site regardless of where I am when I access it. But, I don't recall seeing it at bimmerforums. My guess is that there's a setting that determines how long a user can remain inactive before they are automatically logged out. I'd greatly appreciate it if that amount could be increased here. :-)

Tyler
11-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Hmm strange i've never experienced this before.

1996 328ti
11-16-2006, 04:34 AM
I'd greatly appreciate it if that amount could be increased here. :-)Currently the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before their login session expires is 900 or 15 minutes. I'll change it to 30 minutes. But this will also cause the who's online to display for 30 minutes.

roadrash
11-16-2006, 04:44 AM
login session expires is 900 or 15 minutes. I'll change it to 30 minutes.
Thanks!!!

But this will also cause the who's online to display for 30 minutes.
Really? I don't know how the log-in system works, but it just seems a little odd to me that the "online indicator" would be connected to the time-out value in any way. Oh well... no big deal. Thanks for making the change!

mohaughn
11-16-2006, 04:59 PM
My issue isn't with getting logged out. I know that it is logging me out because I'm inactive. The problem is that when I hit submit I get prompted for my credentials, and when I enter them it goes to the post.php page but it never posts the message.

1996 328ti
11-16-2006, 08:03 PM
My issue isn't with getting logged out. I know that it is logging me out because I'm inactive. The problem is that when I hit submit I get prompted for my credentials, and when I enter them it goes to the post.php page but it never posts the message.I don't know how to isolate the problem without disabling all of the addons. It could be the software I use for the side columns. :confused:
I'm going to change the in activity setting back to 15 minutes.