PDA

View Full Version : Stocks

HuGo
11-16-2006, 05:21 AM
Well im interested in learning how stocks work. Anyone know of a good website where it explains clearly how it works? Does anyone know of a fake pretend thing where i pretend i got money and im using the money for stocks.

Heres where im confused. Lets say i had 20grand. And i wanted to buy 20grand worth of stocks from Sony. So i do say, i want to buy 20,000 stocks? Lets says from 20grand you end up with 300grand and you wanted that money right away to risk not losing, then what do you do? You sell stocks right. So who do you sell stocks too? Do you sell 20,000 stocks or is it now 300,000 stocks? When you buy stocks, who are you actually giving the money too? Any help will be appreciated.

cali-ti
11-16-2006, 05:27 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Investing-Dummies-Business-Personal-Finance/dp/0764599038/sr=8-1/qid=1163651139/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7105948-6330513?ie=UTF8&s=books

mohaughn
11-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Well im interested in learning how stocks work. Anyone know of a good website where it explains clearly how it works? Does anyone know of a fake pretend thing where i pretend i got money and im using the money for stocks.

Heres where im confused. Lets say i had 20grand. And i wanted to buy 20grand worth of stocks from Sony. So i do say, i want to buy 20,000 stocks? Lets says from 20grand you end up with 300grand and you wanted that money right away to risk not losing, then what do you do? You sell stocks right. So who do you sell stocks too? Do you sell 20,000 stocks or is it now 300,000 stocks? When you buy stocks, who are you actually giving the money too? Any help will be appreciated.

Yes.. There are some websites that allow you to invest and build a "fake" portfolio. I've actually done pretty well with some of them when I was learning and won some money in the process. If you want to invest $20k you would only get 20k shares if the stock is worth 1$. Most major shares listed on the major markets are going to be worth a lot more than 1$. For instance google right now is worth 491$ per share 20k/491=40.7 shares.

If a stock drops below a certain amount, it may be 3 or 5$ the nasdaq de-lists them. Keep in mind that there are several markets in the US, and there are a lot of different global markets.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but if you really want to learn how this works you are going to want to go and spend a lot of time reading. Go to google and search for, how to trade stocks, and just start reading. Once you start reading stuff, you will find other terms that you can search on to find out more information. I'm completely willing to share anything I can about investing money, but I'm not going to spoon feed it to you and I'm not going to keep answering the same question. No offense, but you seem to have a record of wanting stuff handed to you in an easy to swallow fashion. And stock trading will not happen in that fashion.

The other major thing to consider is that investing in the stock market is a lot like gambling. Dropping $20k on a single stock can be very risky. You'll want to make sure you completely understand portfolio diversification and the risks involved before you start doing it with real money. And don't expect to get rich quick. The people that do spends countless hours doing research and hunting down the smallest details about a particular stock before they buy it. Much like a good gambling bookie will when he sets his odds. Also realize that there are bachelor and master level courses in doing this stuff. You could spend your entire life doing it and still not know everything. It isn't as simple as throwing in some money and selling/trading, wow I'm a millionaire.

http://www.stocktrak.com/2005Version/

And don't ask me to give you advice on a particular stock because I will never do it, and nobody else should either... Giving stock tips is like discussing religion or politics with people that you don't know. If you want information on a particular stock, do your own research so when it flops nobody else is to blaim but you.

Tyler
11-16-2006, 01:59 PM
www.nyse.com

L84THSKY
11-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Where you been? You need to update our comparative mod lists, I have some new stuff.:cool:

http://www.amazon.com/Investing-Dummies-Business-Personal-Finance/dp/0764599038/sr=8-1/qid=1163651139/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7105948-6330513?ie=UTF8&s=books

bullmand
11-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Try www.kiplingers.com for learning terminology and how things work. To play, try www.hsx.com. It's a fake stock and bond game based on movies. It has pretty much the whole gamut of trading options including IPOs, puts, calls, etc. I've made about $20 million (make believe) in the last 8 years and I hardly ever check it.

bmw318tiChic
11-16-2006, 10:17 PM
http://money.howstuffworks.com/stock.htm

HowStuffWorks is a great site for everything..