PDA

View Full Version : Impact on overall forum of inappropriate posts

pdxmotorhead
11-18-2006, 08:34 AM
want to start a new topic...

So the ignore function does ot fix the problem of the poluted posts. The search engine is becoming almost useless because you have to wade through all the cruft generated by the noise these guys generate.

How about using a poll to ban someone?
If they get some number of yes/ban votes they get
banned for a related period of time. Make them a private poll so those who just don't believe in mud-slinging in public can voice a opinion out of band.

Make the polls sticky so once you make the "list" it just adds up. Only gets cleared if you go over 6 months witout a new vote.

"Cookies are a food group." - My 5 year old.
Dave

Panzer_M
11-18-2006, 09:10 AM
not a bad idea.

DustenT
11-18-2006, 04:22 PM
This is ultimately up to Steven. He's not big on banning people. Maybe if the collective voice of the forum asked him to do it, he would consider it. It would be nice to have a way of tracking those who have made meaningful contributions to the forum.

e36guy
11-18-2006, 05:05 PM
The one they use on pennocks fiero forum works nice. after you get 50 people rate you a little bar shows up below your name showing how much your liked or not liked. Once you get more negatives then posotives after that your automaticly banned by the system from posting. they've been doing it for like 2 years and it's worked well.

1996 328ti
11-18-2006, 08:24 PM
vBulletin uses an infraction system and/or reputation.
bf.c used reputation and it went down in flames.
It's too easy to start e-fights between people.

The infraction system is similar in that certain people can impose points for different infractions. I planned on looking into that closer for next year.

If we have a problem with just one or two people, then these systems are not the solution. If people want an infraction system I come up with a system and once a person gets to a certain point they loose priviledges. The problem is people can register with another email address.

roadrash
11-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Given that we really only have one troll here, I don't think it's worth the effort required to implement a reputation or infraction system. It seems to me that all we really need is for us to ignore the people whom we find annoying. Yes, it takes a little more effort on my part to ignore someone and resist the temptation to reply to something they've writen when I see it quoted by someone else, but that's fine with me. If "everyone" wants a troll to be gone, well, "everyone" should put that troll on ignore.

pdxmotorhead
11-19-2006, 05:44 AM
vBulletin uses an infraction system and/or reputation.
bf.c used reputation and it went down in flames.
It's too easy to start e-fights between people.

The infraction system is similar in that certain people can impose points for different infractions. I planned on looking into that closer for next year.

If we have a problem with just one or two people, then these systems are not the solution. If people want an infraction system I come up with a system and once a person gets to a certain point they loose priviledges. The problem is people can register with another email address.

Yea there's no 100% sure fire option. In general this forum is very well behaved, just sad a couple folks can screw things up as much as they do on occasion.

Have a good day...

Dave