PDA

View Full Version : Build-up in progress.

AlaskaBlue
11-25-2006, 07:56 AM
The 318ti has begun the initial phases of track only build-up.

Currently the car has had the majority of the interior stripped down to bare metal with the help of next season's co-driver S10Mafia15

Next phase is to remove much sound deadening as possible. Clean up the wires. Take out the dash and gut the dash. Gut the doors.

Pics will soon follow along with a ton of interior items for sale.

S10Mafia15 or I will update the thread as progress continues.

S10mafia50
11-25-2006, 09:17 AM
The 318ti has begun the initial phases of track only build-up.

Currently the car has had the majority of the interior stripped down to bare metal with the help of next season's co-driver S10Mafia15

Next phase is to remove much sound deadening as possible. Clean up the wires. Take out the dash and gut the dash. Gut the doors.

Pics will soon follow along with a ton of interior items for sale.

S10Mafia15 or I will update the thread as progress continues.

Yep.....after a fun drive back here, its sitting happily inmy heated garage. If anyone needs any grey interior parts....just ask one of us. I'll be try to make a list tomorrow to post up here....I almost have the drive in area of my barn filled with stuff from this car....lol.
Andrew

mohaughn
11-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Did you guys remove the white adhesive type sound deadening that is behind the front seats? Just curious how you did it if you did. I've already stripped out all of the non-functional wiring. Got all of the stereo stuff out. So the only wiring from the front to the back is the gas, speedo, and light wiring. Mine is an active that came with fogs and a factory alarm, so I need to spend a little bit of time getting the alarm and wiring along with the fogs and wiring stripped out.

I was reading about cages and you have to get that white very hard sound deadening out to be able to weld a cage to the frame. I didn't want to take a metal paint scraper to it just yet until I know what I'm doing for a cage and interior repaint.

I'm going to trash most of my grey interior parts.. Seems like most people are looking for black on here.

schussey
11-25-2006, 06:34 PM
track car FTW

-chris

mooseheadm5
11-25-2006, 07:03 PM
I'll take grey leather seats. Found fronts, need rears.
And OBC stuff.
-Paul

AlaskaBlue
11-26-2006, 05:37 AM
I'll take grey leather seats. Found fronts, need rears.
And OBC stuff.
-Paul

They are grey cloth unfortunately. Let us know if you are still interested. OBC stuff is all yours once we get it out. Which pieces were you wanting? Just the ones in the dash?

AlaskaBlue
11-26-2006, 05:39 AM
Did you guys remove the white adhesive type sound deadening that is behind the front seats? Just curious how you did it if you did. I've already stripped out all of the non-functional wiring. Got all of the stereo stuff out. So the only wiring from the front to the back is the gas, speedo, and light wiring. Mine is an active that came with fogs and a factory alarm, so I need to spend a little bit of time getting the alarm and wiring along with the fogs and wiring stripped out.

I was reading about cages and you have to get that white very hard sound deadening out to be able to weld a cage to the frame. I didn't want to take a metal paint scraper to it just yet until I know what I'm doing for a cage and interior repaint.

I'm going to trash most of my grey interior parts.. Seems like most people are looking for black on here.

We haven't removed the sound deadening yet but we know how from other BMW race cars. You can take a heat gun to it to make it really soft then use either a scraper and take it off with that or a metal brush attached to a drill.

We have just started taking the wiring apart. What all pieces did you remove? So far we have only done the doors.

S10mafia50
11-26-2006, 09:31 PM
We haven't removed the sound deadening yet but we know how from other BMW race cars. You can take a heat gun to it to make it really soft then use either a scraper and take it off with that or a metal brush attached to a drill.

We have just started taking the wiring apart. What all pieces did you remove? So far we have only done the doors.

I wouldn't let him cut into most of them until we knew what was what....lol
Plus, he was using a hand saw...
Andrew

AlaskaBlue
11-26-2006, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't let him cut into most of them until we knew what was what....lol
Plus, he was using a hand saw...
Andrew

I had to use what was available:tongue:

S10mafia50
11-26-2006, 11:07 PM
I had to use what was available:tongue:

lol, I did find the cutters today though....:)
Andrew

S10mafia50
11-27-2006, 12:00 AM
These are the only two pics until I get somewhere with faster internet, but there you guys go.....all interior pieces other than the dash shell and instrument display are for sale.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/Picture331.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/Picture332.jpg
Andrew

mohaughn
11-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Everything was removed with the exception of the headliner, sunroof, and door panels. The headliner was just redone about 2 years ago so I'm going to have that removed with the sunroof components, not wanting to mess it up. The door panels I'm waiting to remove until i get the time to make some sheet metal panels. The trailer that I have access to is an open trailer so I'm not exactly in a rush to remove the window glass in the front doors.

As far as the wiring. All of the rear radio wiring, and the front radio wiring is bundled together. So trace from where the stock amplifier and antenna are located and you can easily find that bundle. I think there are two bundles that come down across the center transmission hump down by the frame cross member by the driver seat. The smaller of those two is the radio wiring. The other wires are pretty easy to figure out. The only wiring that I'm not looking forward to getting out is the alarm wiring. I hate dealing with car alarms.

I think when I get the frame reinforcements welded in I will have my mechanic drop out all of the ac components and then I'll finish stripping the center console and the associated wiring with the heating/cooling system. Not really wanting to just dump the freon.

S10mafia50
11-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Everything was removed with the exception of the headliner, sunroof, and door panels. The headliner was just redone about 2 years ago so I'm going to have that removed with the sunroof components, not wanting to mess it up. The door panels I'm waiting to remove until i get the time to make some sheet metal panels. The trailer that I have access to is an open trailer so I'm not exactly in a rush to remove the window glass in the front doors.

As far as the wiring. All of the rear radio wiring, and the front radio wiring is bundled together. So trace from where the stock amplifier and antenna are located and you can easily find that bundle. I think there are two bundles that come down across the center transmission hump down by the frame cross member by the driver seat. The smaller of those two is the radio wiring. The other wires are pretty easy to figure out. The only wiring that I'm not looking forward to getting out is the alarm wiring. I hate dealing with car alarms.

I think when I get the frame reinforcements welded in I will have my mechanic drop out all of the ac components and then I'll finish stripping the center console and the associated wiring with the heating/cooling system. Not really wanting to just dump the freon.

Hmmm, so you have a head start on cutting out wiring, and we have a head start on taking other stuff out......lol. The a/c system left this car over the summer....lol. It is actually easy to remove with the exception of the compressor. just draining the freon sucks
I'll be watching you closely to find out what wirse we can get rid of....lol
Andrew

mohaughn
11-27-2006, 04:57 PM
You've also got seats and suspension pretty much wrapped up. I just started this project in June. Well, I was thinking about it way before then but didn't actually start doing any upgrades until the middle of summer. I just got my eyeball arms last week so sometime this week I'll install the new control arms and eyeball arms. The old ball joints and control arms were badly worn so this was more of a safety upgrade that was needed to even drive the car. The rest of the suspension and frame stuff should be done once we get through the holidays.

S10mafia50
11-27-2006, 08:22 PM
You've also got seats and suspension pretty much wrapped up. I just started this project in June. Well, I was thinking about it way before then but didn't actually start doing any upgrades until the middle of summer. I just got my eyeball arms last week so sometime this week I'll install the new control arms and eyeball arms. The old ball joints and control arms were badly worn so this was more of a safety upgrade that was needed to even drive the car. The rest of the suspension and frame stuff should be done once we get through the holidays.

Sounds like a plan...it has taken alaskablue roughly 3 years to do most of the mods to the car...lol
Andrew

mohaughn
11-27-2006, 10:03 PM
I want to have the suspension done to compete in most of the local BMWCCA auto-x season, and also to attend several DE days. Once I get a lot more experience with the car with the suspension taken care of I'll really start to worry about more power. I've basically researched all of my options and understand what more power is going to cost, but as I'm really trying to learn at this point power is the last part of the pie...

I'm also not planning on running in any specific race group right now as I don't know if I want to take the competing to that level. So I'm trying to keep classing options open in case I decide to go that route once I have more experience..

S10mafia50
11-27-2006, 10:48 PM
I want to have the suspension done to compete in most of the local BMWCCA auto-x season, and also to attend several DE days. Once I get a lot more experience with the car with the suspension taken care of I'll really start to worry about more power. I've basically researched all of my options and understand what more power is going to cost, but as I'm really trying to learn at this point power is the last part of the pie...

I'm also not planning on running in any specific race group right now as I don't know if I want to take the competing to that level. So I'm trying to keep classing options open in case I decide to go that route once I have more experience..

the weight reduction you have done will net you in XP for the scca....same as us now...lol. But for the bmwcca, you won't be penalized as much...
good idea of learning to drive the car before extra power.
Andrew

andy
11-29-2006, 09:01 PM
After we stripped most of that infernal sound deadening stuff, a friend mentioned it was possible to use dry ice to freeze it and crack it off - a lot easier than the heat gun + scraper method.

A lot of my wiring is still hanging around in there, I need to work on that some more. :)

DustenT
11-29-2006, 09:26 PM
After we stripped most of that infernal sound deadening stuff, a friend mentioned it was possible to use dry ice to freeze it and crack it off - a lot easier than the heat gun + scraper method.

A lot of my wiring is still hanging around in there, I need to work on that some more. :)

Yes, we've use the dry ice method many times. Saves LOTS AND LOTS of time.

SDKmann
11-29-2006, 09:33 PM
I have been inspired! Thats really cool guys. Is it going to get a cage and harnesses or are you actually going to try to use seat belts? BTW more pics please!

S10mafia50
11-30-2006, 01:58 AM
I have been inspired! Thats really cool guys. Is it going to get a cage and harnesses or are you actually going to try to use seat belts? BTW more pics please!

I've taken more pics, but with dialup I have to upload one at a time and they still take 25 minutes each....I will go to alaskablue's house and use his broadband this weekend to upload the ones so far.

And yes there are plans to get a cage for the car along with 5pt harnesses,

On a side note, the sable got a 150mph speedo today:)
Andrew

AlaskaBlue
11-30-2006, 02:51 AM
Cage is coming pretty soon hopefully. All the parts money we get are going straigh back into the car by way of parts money. Should be a really fantastic track car.

The plan is to basically remove all the weight possible. Install a carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber sunroof panel, carbon fiber fender flares, NT-01s, front camber plates, a cage, harnesses, 10 gal. fuel cell, side exhaust out the passenger side. There will be more but those are at the top of the list.

The car was already well on its way to being a track only car before this started with V3 coil-overs 450 ft/lb springs, meyle HD control arms w/solid metal ball joints, urethane front control arm bushings, IE race engine mounts (thanks cali-ti), TMS solid aluminum subframe bushings, zionsville autosport +2 BBK, BavAuto rear camber kit, TMS 9lb flywheel, Dinan chip, magnecor wires, delrin diff mount, 3.45 LSD, and BBS 8.5 x 17 wheels.

We will talk more about what our plans are for the engine after a bit. Probably next winter would be around the time when we will consider the eninge mods.

Andrew make sure to get some pics of me with the blow torch, sawzall, sledgehammer, and pieces of sheet metal from the car being removed:tongue:

S10mafia50
11-30-2006, 03:17 AM
Andrew make sure to get some pics of me with the blow torch, sawzall, sledgehammer, and pieces of sheet metal from the car being removed:tongue:

:eek: LOL, I hope you are only talking about the doors.....I still vote after lexan though, because I don't really want to drive it somewhere without windows in it.... you broken in the mini yet?? Once this F*cking snow leaves, its ti vs mini....

EDIT: engine pic finally....
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/IM000889.jpg
And what I have worked on all day today
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/IM000887.jpg
I already took the sable up to 125.....and its still 10% slow.....:)
Andrew

cdonahue
11-30-2006, 04:51 AM
are you planning on making a heat shield for that intake / filter?
(i'm just asking cuz thats how mine looks now, and i know i should have a heat shield for it.)

S10mafia50
11-30-2006, 05:41 AM
are you planning on making a heat shield for that intake / filter?
(i'm just asking cuz thats how mine looks now, and i know i should have a heat shield for it.)

Yes, once I find my sheet metal, I will be attempting to build one.....about the only special tool you'd need would be a hole saw...
Andrew

AlaskaBlue
11-30-2006, 06:10 AM
BTW they sell an adapter at autozone or advance autoparts for the 95 ti's with a AFM I believe it cost me something like 11 dollars. I also have the stock headlights so we could duct air into the airfilter by modifying those.

Mini S has just over 400 miles now. Not broken in yet. 850 miles to go.

I see more things to remove this weekend too in the engine bay. Like the firewall cover, blower motor, microfilters and etc.

ClubSport
12-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Can you weigh this car when you're done stripping and before the cage? I'm curious about what's the bare minimum you can get a ti to.

AlaskaBlue
12-01-2006, 03:26 AM
right now the car weighs in at 2420. I'm sure it will be weighed again once we are completely done stripping it out and adding carbon fiber.

S10mafia50
12-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Can you weigh this car when you're done stripping and before the cage? I'm curious about what's the bare minimum you can get a ti to.

Yep, I only live but a mile from a set of scales at a co-op. So yes, it will be weighed after the reduction....

Does anyone know where we can get dry ice???
Andrew

DustenT
12-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Yep, I only live but a mile from a set of scales at a co-op. So yes, it will be weighed after the reduction....

Does anyone know where we can get dry ice???
Andrew

Any big grocery store WILL have it. If they say they don't, keep asking....

S10mafia50
12-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Any big grocery store WILL have it. If they say they don't, keep asking....

hahaha, whatever we have left after the removal of the sound deadening will be used with 2lt bottles....lol
Andrew

mohaughn
12-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Make sure to post back any tips or hints about removing that material. If you guys can get it off pretty easily with dry ice and not damage the underlying metal I'll give it a shot. You can also try to find a carbonic store. I think the one that we have locally is called National Carbonics. There is usually a place where manufacturing and theaters get large quantities of it. Probably cheaper than the grocery store. If it was before halloween you would find a lot of places selling it. Google turns up a site that will find vendors based on telephone area code.

DustenT
12-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Remember to wear welding gloves when handling it. Use a ball peen hammer for the large areas, a chisel and hammer for the tight spots.

S10mafia50
12-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Well, here is an update, the pass side airbag, keyless, and other tid bits have been removed, along with the amplifier, head unit and hvac controls/linkage. the cars last weight with a full tank was 2380lbs......

Andrew

mohaughn
12-07-2006, 12:46 PM
If it wasn't such a ways between your car and mine we could run some events together. I'd be interested in seeing how similiar the cars perform given they will basically be at the same level with in the next month. You guys planning on traveling out of your area to any tracks next year? My brother lives about 3 miles from Barber so I'm been thinking about making a summer trip up there... But that is ways off, and plans will probably change before then.

AlaskaBlue
12-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Well Andrew and I had been talking about going to some further away events. This summer I will be out of school and working a Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday week. That leaves four days off to go to about any event. Just let one of us know in advance and we will see what we can do.

DustenT
12-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Well Andrew and I had been talking about going to some further away events. This summer I will be out of school and working a Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday week. That leaves four days off to go to about any event. Just let one of us know in advance and we will see what we can do.

The Milwaukee SCCA events have a decent turn out. We might be able to arrange a mini-318ti meet at one of those if you are willing to drive up to Milwaukee.

http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/

AlaskaBlue
12-07-2006, 05:07 PM
That would be a lot of fun. Maybe all they guys that race their 318tis could get together and run an event.

S10mafia50
12-07-2006, 07:42 PM
That would be a lot of fun. Maybe all they guys that race their 318tis could get together and run an event.

Yeah, i'm all game for that....I especially like the idea of road atlanta:biggrin:
Andrew

DustenT
12-07-2006, 08:31 PM
The Milwaukee BMW CCA group has a couple track days at Road America, dubbed the greatest track in the US.

S10mafia50
12-07-2006, 08:42 PM
The Milwaukee BMW CCA group has a couple track days at Road America, dubbed the greatest track in the US.
That does sound fun. Road america is around chicago isn't it?
Andrew

mohaughn
12-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Road Atlanta would be fun. I think the Peachtree Chapter does a driving school and some club races during the summer months.

DustenT
12-07-2006, 09:46 PM
That does sound fun. Road america is around chicago isn't it?
Andrew

Road America is about 1 hour north of Milwaukee, 2 hours north of Chicago.

pdxmotorhead
12-08-2006, 06:38 AM
Many Ice cream shops sell dry ice too.

Good Luck
Dave

S10mafia50
12-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Alaskablue has some vids and pics of some reckless fun for the night....buwahahahahaha, I'll post a pic of the marks out front in daylight tomorrow:rolleyes:
Andrew

mohaughn
12-11-2006, 04:12 AM
Are you guys just planning on running SCCA solo2? I've really been reading up on the CCA CR and NASA rules to make sure I don't bump myself into the equivalent modified classes. Complete gutting of the interior will take you up into that really high group in most cases. To many high dollar racers in the modified and super modified groups...

I'm probably going to gut out all of the hvac, and the sunroof but leave anything connected in terms of wiring that can't be removed as an entire segment of wiring with connector. There is a long thread on Bfc about what is allowed and not allowed in the different classes of CR in terms of interior modifications.

Luckily XP specifically says the electrical system is unlimited.

S10mafia50
12-11-2006, 04:48 AM
Are you guys just planning on running SCCA solo2? I've really been reading up on the CCA CR and NASA rules to make sure I don't bump myself into the equivalent modified classes. Complete gutting of the interior will take you up into that really high group in most cases. To many high dollar racers in the modified and super modified groups...

I'm probably going to gut out all of the hvac, and the sunroof but leave anything connected in terms of wiring that can't be removed as an entire segment of wiring with connector. There is a long thread on Bfc about what is allowed and not allowed in the different classes of CR in terms of interior modifications.

Luckily XP specifically says the electrical system is unlimited.

We will only be campaigning it in XP in the indy region/wherever else we goes.
Andrew

mohaughn
12-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I just noticed that alaskablue said your Ti has the bavauto branded kmac rear eccentric bushings. Has the car been re-aligned after running those for awhile?

I spent some time talking to my mechanic last week about some of the stuff I need for him to do to my car and he was telling me that he has run those bushings before on his e30 race car and after 1 weekend of racing they started to shift and the rear went out of alignment. He thought they worked well on street cars, but not on track cars. Kind of the same sentiment I got from the guys at tckline...

AlaskaBlue
12-11-2006, 10:05 PM
They haven't been re-aligned, but they sure aren't where they used to be.

DustenT
12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
I just noticed that alaskablue said your Ti has the bavauto branded kmac rear eccentric bushings. Has the car been re-aligned after running those for awhile?

I spent some time talking to my mechanic last week about some of the stuff I need for him to do to my car and he was telling me that he has run those bushings before on his e30 race car and after 1 weekend of racing they started to shift and the rear went out of alignment. He thought they worked well on street cars, but not on track cars. Kind of the same sentiment I got from the guys at tckline...

What does TCKline recommend for rear camber/toe adjustments?

mohaughn
12-12-2006, 01:47 AM
They said there was no good way to have adjustable rear camber. As my car is not a daily driver they said to play with different thickness spring pads to get the ride height and camber where I want it. I'm going to start with the 5mm spring pads. If that gives me to much negative camber I'll go with thicker pads.

From some of the e30 m3 sites and some posts on Bfc it would seem that highly modified m3's use something like the Ireland engineering weld in kit but it sounds like there are two different versions of that kit. On one of them the bolt moves and the alignment shifts and I think the other one you may have to tack the bolt into place.

DustenT
12-12-2006, 01:56 AM
The chamber isn't as much a problem as the toe-in from dropping the suspension. You'll likely want to run MORE negative chamber on a track car, but LESS toe-in. What do the e30 guys do about toe-in?

mohaughn
12-12-2006, 02:06 AM
IE has a camber and toe kit. There are also OE eccentric bushings that are not adjustable. Depending on the way you put them in affects camber or toe. The only bad thing is that you have to measure out the alignment. Take the rear end apart. Put in the eccentric bushings, put everything back together and remeasure. If it is off, you get to do it again.. Fun!

How much toe-in am I looking at with about 1.5 inches of rear drop?

DustenT
12-12-2006, 03:01 AM
IE has a camber and toe kit. There are also OE eccentric bushings that are not adjustable. Depending on the way you put them in affects camber or toe. The only bad thing is that you have to measure out the alignment. Take the rear end apart. Put in the eccentric bushings, put everything back together and remeasure. If it is off, you get to do it again.. Fun!

How much toe-in am I looking at with about 1.5 inches of rear drop?

I think it's about 1/4" toe-in, maybe more. It's visible. The toe-in is what really chews up the tires, and makes the car unsettled over bumps (bump steer).

AlaskaBlue
12-12-2006, 04:25 AM
Some photos

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00212.JPG

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00219.JPG

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00216.JPG

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00231.JPG

AlaskaBlue
12-12-2006, 04:28 AM
The car is so dusty because we could out it is possible to slide the car around Andrews drive way turn around road which is tight, narrow, gravel, and a ton of fun.

After talking it over tonight we are going to strip the car down to a bare shell over the summer and start the build-up from scratch replacing worn out pieces as we go along. We will also go with a stand alone enigne management and get a wiring kit for just the basics.

The car will also be painted. More pics in the gallery. Hint as to how it will be painted in there too.

DustenT
12-12-2006, 04:32 AM
The car will also be painted. More pics in the gallery. Hint as to how it will be painted in there too.

Nice!

S10mafia50
12-12-2006, 04:36 AM
LOL, you and your jdm girl....:tongue: JDM+euro=:confused:

haha, sorry, had to. We need to wait for it to rain or snow before we can do the slides in daylight....the dust is everywhere.
Andrew

AlaskaBlue
12-12-2006, 04:39 AM
eurorice..or best girl ever?

Hopefully we can get the car stripped to the shell painted and start re assembly this summer.

S10mafia50
12-12-2006, 05:04 AM
eurorice..or best girl ever?

Hopefully we can get the car stripped to the shell painted and start re assembly this summer.

LOL, its about as eurorice as it gets.....with all the decals, we have to be making 500whp...

Oh, while the car is apart, might as well rebuild the engine....lol
Andrew

mohaughn
12-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Sweet.. I really considered doing a stand alone, something like the megasquirt. I have a background in electronics and work with a lot of very talented electrical engineers so building and installing the kit would be pretty easy. I've been following a few people on m42club that have installed the megasquirt and it does not appear that anybody has one up and running well yet. The tuning is the only thing that turned me off of the idea... Not to mention if I ever want to do any sort of club racing a stand alone ecu almost always bumps you into modified or super modified where you start needing fire suppression to meet the rules.

Rear Camber and Toe curves-
http://e30m3performance.com/tech_articles/susp-tech/rear_curves/page-3.htm

With 3 inches of drop his calculations are showing 1/16" of toe-in.

As a base configuration for my suspension Pete at tc recommended having the front set at 1/32 to 1/16 of toe in with the castor set all the way back towards the firewall and the camber all the way out towards the fender of the car. With their camber/castor plates this will give me slightly more toe-in when the camber is set all the way in towards the engine. It has about 2 degrees of adjustability in the front camber. Not sure how much I can affect castor.

S10mafia50
12-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Ok, something insane has happened....well, more the less on purpose to upset the county....

ANDY
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/Picture386.jpg
+
Sawzall
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/Picture385.jpg
=
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/Picture388.jpg

Unbearable loudness and endless flames......soon to be out the side....:tongue:

As you can see, alaskablue had too much fun with that....lmao
He has vids to post whenever he uploads them
Andrew

S10mafia50
12-28-2006, 05:40 AM
^^^^^Oh, and he didn't really actually cut it off.....I did the dirty work, but it was just his idea....but hey, its 50lbs+
Andrew

AlaskaBlue
12-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Ok I got the video up. The fireball comes in at the end. The cool thing is that it does it everytime it gets around 5k. When you let up off the gas it just has a small really bright blue and a bit of yellow.

Pretty soon the exhaust will be shooting flames out from the rocker panel.

pootie
12-28-2006, 05:55 AM
That's sweet!

Do you guys still have parts for sale from when you gutted the car? (trim pieces..)

AlaskaBlue
12-28-2006, 05:56 AM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/th_MOV00392.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/?action=view&current=MOV00392.flv)

CirrusSR22
12-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Cool work guys! Keep the pics coming ;)

S10mafia50
12-28-2006, 07:27 AM
That's sweet!

Do you guys still have parts for sale from when you gutted the car? (trim pieces..)

Yes we do, just PM me with your request and I'll see what we have left. I'm going to start putting things on ebay before long

Hopefully daylight vids tomorrow
Andrew

SDKmann
12-29-2006, 02:00 AM
Wow I am amazed. I think Ill cut apart my exhaust just to see if I can get it to shoot out fireballs like your car. On second thought I guess I dont need the tickets. More video and pics please!

AlaskaBlue
12-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Well it looks like tomorrow we are taking it to an exhaust shop to have them bend up the exhaust and run it out the passenger side under the car. Until we put the fuel cell in and run it out the side.

S10mafia50
12-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Well it looks like tomorrow we are taking it to an exhaust shop to have them bend up the exhaust and run it out the passenger side under the car. Until we put the fuel cell in and run it out the side.

Well, we ended up having to put a custom bent part to the center channel, and now it has a turndown just past the gas tank....lol I also just finished taking the windows, regulators, and some sheet metal off the doors. I found that driving under 2500rpms, this thing sounds like a v8...:confused: But I went and topped the tank off with gas, some firemen thought it was awesome, and these poor people got a very loud wake up call as I flew past thier house....hahaha. And I managed to get a visit from my neighbor who has an e30 325, he also though the ti was cool as hell... Oh, and it actually wasn't a very cold drive....lmao
Andrew

Edit: PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops, where'd the windows go?
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/Picture398.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/S10mafia50/Picture399.jpg
I'm still going to take more out, but I have to decide what and where first....lol
Andrew

AlaskaBlue
03-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Well this is some of the wiring that was removed. Yes the car does still start and everything that needs to work does. http://arcowling.iweb.bsu.edu/wires.jpg

AlaskaBlue
03-23-2007, 06:20 PM
This is part of the tar type sound deadening that wass removed. There is about another half trash can full of that stuff.

http://arcowling.iweb.bsu.edu/tar.jpg

There is still more to be removed, but the dash needs to come off to really get back behind there to remove the little bit of sound deadening that is still there and take the remaining wires off at the harness.

Dan I
03-26-2007, 02:15 AM
Get the headliner and sunroof out. Sunroof weighs 40+ lbs and is at the worst spot for weight...up high! Nice build-up.

AlaskaBlue
03-26-2007, 02:27 AM
Get the headliner and sunroof out. Sunroof weighs 40+ lbs and is at the worst spot for weight...up high! Nice build-up.

Thank you. The headliner is already out of the car and so is all of the wiring that goes to the sunroof. I am just waiting to take the sunroof out until I get a one of the CF filler panels or I can weld the metal cover on. You are right though that sunroof cartridge is very heavy at the highest point of the car.

mohaughn
03-26-2007, 05:17 AM
I'm not sure how much CF saves over just the metal panel. I've seen where people just use 3 inch wide strips of aluminum with holes in it. Then they secure that to the metal in the roof. Then use JB weld to caulk it up.

AlaskaBlue
03-26-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure how much CF saves over just the metal panel. I've seen where people just use 3 inch wide strips of aluminum with holes in it. Then they secure that to the metal in the roof. Then use JB weld to caulk it up.

I have seen that too. I know that the CF filler panel won't save much weight over the thin cover. I will have to take it apart and see what I can do with it. I am not too hot on attaching it like the guy did with the metal strips though.

mohaughn
03-26-2007, 05:59 AM
I agree. When I get my rollbar installed I'm going to have it and the inside rear interior painted. I may have the body shop that is going to paint the rear interior also secure the sunroof panel properly. I would think that they should be able to weld it in, and just a little bit of bodywork painting to make it look like it was never there.

AlaskaBlue
03-26-2007, 07:06 AM
I agree. When I get my rollbar installed I'm going to have it and the inside rear interior painted. I may have the body shop that is going to paint the rear interior also secure the sunroof panel properly. I would think that they should be able to weld it in, and just a little bit of bodywork painting to make it look like it was never there.

I have been toying with the idea of what to do with the interior/ exterior of the car. I have friends that do paint and body work so I can get it for just the price of materials. I was thinking either respray the entire interior alaskablue and have a white or black cage. Second thing that I thought would be really kind of neat would be flat black inside and out with a red cage. I don't know about that last one though. I do love my blue.

mohaughn
03-26-2007, 08:09 AM
My exterior will stay white. If it were up to me I probably wouldn't even repaint the exterior. The misses thinks it needs a paint job. If anything I'll just do a BMW motorsports Red/blue pinstripe. I don't like to repaint a car a different color. Kind of like renaming a boat.

Interior will be solid white. White bars with blue pads. Black Corbeau FX1 seats with blue inserts. And blue harnesses.

mohaughn
04-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Mine is being prepped for BMWCCA prepared class more than likely.

I read "track only" car and don't understand why you need a track only car.

I believe in the philosophy that if you are not prepared to leave it as a hunk of junk wrecked at the track, you shouldn't be using it on a track. It's not my daily driver, and I would never take my daily driver on the track. I believe Alaskablue is in a similiar situation. I think he said his car is being setup for NASA GTS2.

If you look at any of the cars that are racing in BMWCCA club racing or NASA GTS they are all dedicated track cars that have been stripped and have cages installed. Cages are a requirement in any licensed racing group that I've seen. You can't really install a full cage with a full interior still in the car.

DustenT
04-04-2007, 02:36 AM
I am done with this useless debate. Lock the thread and delete it if the mods see fit.

I'll close it. Let me know when you want it unlocked. PM me if you want these garbage posts removed from this thread.