PDA

View Full Version : 1995 TI Conforti/TMS OBDI Chip

jkilla71
12-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone -

Does anyone have a Conforti performance chip installed on their 1995 M42?

Is the installation as easy as it seems?

Are there any negatives after installing the chip?

Are the gains in torque and horsepower noticeable?

I have a Bosal exhaust and a K&N cone filter will this be a problem?

I really would appreciate any input that anyone has to offer.

The $250 that the chip cost seems well worth it, even if the gains were only half of what the manufacturer claims.

Panzer_M
12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
"K&N cone filter will this be a problem" Is it heatshielded? if not your sucking in hot air...fogging the airbox or run just the OE airbox will give you better performance.

one of the best mods for the M42, is a light weight flywheel, it really pops the engine IMO.

pnosker
12-03-2006, 07:28 PM
My dad had a 1991 318i and he got the Conforti chip and the gains were definitely apparent. It raised torque mostly, but not only peak, but it was a much more slowly sloping curve. There was real low-end torque with it. I would say an M42 with the chip is at least as good torque wise as a M44 without a chip.

jkilla71
12-03-2006, 08:10 PM
"K&N cone filter will this be a problem" Is it heatshielded? if not your sucking in hot air...fogging the airbox or run just the OE airbox will give you better performance.

one of the best mods for the M42, is a light weight flywheel, it really pops the engine IMO.

The car runs much better with the K&N. I have the left brake duct in the bumper removed and then ran the 4" hose to wash over the side of the filter. Simple setup but it definitely runs better.

mohaughn
12-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Installing the chip is very easy. It take more time to remove the battery and the battery box then it does to remove the ecu and put the new chip in. I wouldn't say that that car has a ton more power, but I don't think they are that far out of line with what they advertise. The general feel of the power band is greatly improved. More pep between 2500 and 4500 RPMs. You can also feel the extra pull up above 6000k RPM.

clex2
12-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Just put a Dinan chip in this past August. It's too bad you didn't ask this questions then, cuz Dinan was having a 50% off sale, so the chip was only $100.

I'm pretty certain the Dinan and Conforti chips are similar. The gain is noticeable, even in my auto tranny 318ti. It defintely makes my drive to work a little more fun. Just be aware of the EWS anti theft feature. Installing the chip is easy, like mohaughn alluded to, but make sure that the chip is either aligned with the cars main EWS or that a delete chip is used or else the car will not start. Turner Motorsport should be able to give you more info on this.

jkilla71
12-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the input.

Due to the low price and ease of installation it seems like a no brainier.

One more question:

Will my car still pass the emissions inspection?
I live in Florida right now but it looks like I getting an employment transfer back to the Northeast.

Thanks again

pnosker
12-05-2006, 01:41 AM
It should pass emissions.

clex2
12-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Yes, my Dinan chiped M42 passed the toughest emssions test in California. I think the Conforti chip should be fine too.

jaysbmw
12-07-2006, 09:47 AM
I have two 318ti one is a 95 clubsport m3 with the 1.8 and the other is a 97 318ti active with the 1.9 i like driving the 97 more because of the extra torke and better gas milege but if that chip really works i would like my 95 to be at least the same so i will change the chip if it will really work better.

jkilla71
12-19-2006, 10:12 PM
The UPS driver brought my Conforti chip today among other parts. I installed the Conforti chip and I am very satisfied. I especially like the higher rev limiter. I have an Auto-Trans so the shift points are different and there is a definite gain in torque. The install was very easy and I am more than happy for only spending $249. I will be driving across alligator alley (I-75) this weekend so I going to check out if the top speed is any different. I have had it at 120-121mph before for an hour straight. Considering my speedometer is correct I am hoping to see 123 but would like to see a sustained 125mph.

Kraln
12-20-2006, 04:00 AM

Hijack! Have you had this done? If so, what flywheel/ what were labor/part costs?