PDA

View Full Version : Serviced auto trans and now it is shifting "hard"

Dueller
12-06-2006, 04:33 AM
After debating on whether or not to do a full service I took the plunge(fluid, filter, pan gaskets, etc), now my auto is shifting very "hard"....especially on downshifts when in auto mode. No slippage whatsoever, but something is amiss, It shifts fine in "manual" mode....

Dayum, I knew I should have left well enuff alone...

Any thoughts as to what problem I've created in my quest to treat the new baby nice?

Thans,

Jim

CirrusSR22
12-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Before you get too concerned, double check you have the correct fluid level. Buy a digital probe thermometer if need-be to make sure the temp is right where it should be. I did mine this summer and it ended up low. It shifted fine normally, but if I stopped fast, then immediately accelerated, it slammed pretty hard into gear. I thought I killed it.... If only I was so lucky ;)

What procedure did you use to fill it back up? I have a .pdf of the official procedure if you want it. (well I think it's the offical one)

EDIT: here's a good one. Not the exact same one I have, but it's the same content.
http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/70-12927-107688-1078/ATFchecking.pdf

pdxmotorhead
12-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Incorrect fluid type can cause hard shifting.... Old drag racing trick before B&M and others started making specialty drag race fluid for auto's.

Dave

dguzzardo22
12-06-2006, 08:42 AM
what exactly did you do for your service. everything you did ...

Dueller
12-19-2006, 05:35 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your replies...a brief recap:

Initially it was throwing a code indicating "pressure control solenoid A" (a $400 dealer only part on the tranny valve body). Double checked the fluid levels (Dex III confirmed as Ok for this tranny as oposed to dealership saying only use BMW lifetime fluid at $20/litre). Then it started throwing misfire codes, mis-key codes, cam position sensors etc etc etc. In an effort to aviod the "stealership" I consulted several different tranny "experts" and got answers all over the place. Most concluded that I had to solve the engine misfire codes which they thought would clear up the tranny codes on reset. Only my original BMW tech thought it was in the tranny and the engine was not misfiring.

Finally after clearing the codes on all systems a dozen or so times did a new tranny code come up: "005 Presuure control valve" along with a variety of engine management/misfire codes. This what my BMW guy thought it was all along....a $75 retail part readily available and easily installed on the valve body.

Results: Tranny now shifts like new and ALL codes on all systems are clear. Strangely, this move even cleared my airbag warning light that had been on the car for several months. If I had an auto that was shifting kinda soft, it might be worth trying this repair to see if it restores some of the crispness in shifting...car now seems to shift much better than before l this problem arose.