PDA

View Full Version : car wont run right, sounds weird no idle

kelso
12-18-2006, 01:37 AM
ok today me and my brother changed my valve cover gasket on my 1995 m42. tried to drive it just now and as it starts i think to myself this sounds really weird. then it stutters and i turn the key off before it could stall. now a normal m42 sounds high pitched and tinny, but now its making this low rumble, more bassy i guess, it just obviously sounds way different than what im used to. i tried many times and it will start up fine, the revs will first go up to a little under 2 grand likw always when it starts then starts dropping towards 1000 and just studders and dies. i can drive it sort of if i keep the revs going. all spark plug wires are on securely, i cant see any vacuum leaks. i guess it possible i cant see a leak or a plug wire is in the wrong spot but they are labeled 1,2,3,4 and appear to be in the correct order( 1 towards the front, 4 to the back)

i need answers, guesses, whatever... gotta have it running smooth by tomorrow night so i can go to work the next morning

pdxmotorhead
12-18-2006, 05:49 AM
Check the air tube from the air flow box to the throttle body.
If its cracked or loose it makes a low growl.

Dave

BAD745I
12-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Check breather hose to vent valve

kelso
12-18-2006, 10:23 PM
turns out the gasket got caught up when we were reinstalling hte valve cover so it kind of folded under and caused a big vacuum leak. all fixed, but damn its hard to get htat in there straight! very tight fit in the back