PDA

View Full Version : Turbo tune

hhspunter
12-19-2006, 06:54 PM
This should work well as long as you don't exceed ~10psi of boost. After 10psi I think the factory MAF is going to start clipping really bad and (as far as I know) there isn't a fix for that yet.

This is meant to be a DIY tuning solution for fuel ONLY (no ignition control) which will allow you to run larger injectors (thus more fuel) without confusing the computer too much. A wideband oxygen sensor is a MUST if you plan on tuning it yourself.

So if I went to Nick G, would he do fuel and timing? all I'm looking for is to make my car run smoothly with maybe 8psi boost. I just read through that whole document, but I just woke up and a lot of it is new to me so a lot went over my head. I'm sure I'll be able to figure out the install, I do have a very limited electronics background, my dad has a lot more experience with that stuff. He'll also be able to tune it too, but i think I'd be able to figure that out. I'm a big nerd, and besides wanting my car to go faster I love this stuff. Electronics are so cool!!! :grandma:

hhspunter
12-19-2006, 07:04 PM
I have a little bit of understanding about how the rising rate fuel pressure regulator works, which I think comes with the DASC. Does it work well? I'm not looking for all the power I can get... Hopefully lag won't be much of a problem with the setup I'm gonna use. I'm never going to run more than 10 psi, so a small turbo should work well for me, and should spool up really fast. Would a RRFPR work well with a turbo? And where can I buy one? Right now it's pretty much narrowed down to that and the PCIII.

hhspunter
12-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Okay so so far I've narrowed down fuel control to the PCIII and a RRFPR. I looked up the RRFPR to get some prices and it's not bad. Here's one:
http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?currency=USD&cPath=57_40_44&products_id=1047
Would that work?

hhspunter
12-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Found one that's probably better:
http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?currency=USD&cPath=57_40_44&products_id=1047
And I guess since it's designed by Corky Bell it can't be too bad. I need to buy his book

DustenT
12-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Threads split and merged.

mohaughn
12-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Unless you have some pretty specialized equipment you will not be able to to tune the stock DME yourself. I would also say to do a tune properly you will need several items with a wideband o2 sensor and a monitor to track/record the AFR being the least that you need to do it right. To really tune the car and make it run well at all throttle positions you really need to have the car put on a dyno that can maintain the car at different throttle points.

Nick G. should tune everything about the car. Enrichment rates, adaptation, fuel, airflow, everything should be looked at if he is doing it right. I would imagine that he doesn't do a half-tune.

For what you are going to spend to try and get your custom turbo tuned properly you could just buy a DASC and have a system that is tuned properly. Even with a PCIII I still think you need a wideband o2 sensor and recorder to be able to really start pushing what the car can do.

hhspunter
12-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Unless you have some pretty specialized equipment you will not be able to to tune the stock DME yourself. I would also say to do a tune properly you will need several items with a wideband o2 sensor and a monitor to track/record the AFR being the least that you need to do it right. To really tune the car and make it run well at all throttle positions you really need to have the car put on a dyno that can maintain the car at different throttle points.

Nick G. should tune everything about the car. Enrichment rates, adaptation, fuel, airflow, everything should be looked at if he is doing it right. I would imagine that he doesn't do a half-tune.

For what you are going to spend to try and get your custom turbo tuned properly you could just buy a DASC and have a system that is tuned properly. Even with a PCIII I still think you need a wideband o2 sensor and recorder to be able to really start pushing what the car can do.

...I'm not trying to tune the DME and the only instance in which I would do any tuning would be with the PCIII.... and after doing some research it looks lke a RRFPR should do the job just fine. I'm not trying to get every little bit of power out of the car. At this point I'm mainly looking for your guys' opinions on a RRFPR... that is what comes with the DASC, right? Or does it come with it's own software?

hhspunter
12-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah I just read up on it, "The stock fuel injection system is used unchanged save for a DowningAtlanta-designed "downstream" fuel pressure regulator
that is boost sensitive. No chip, EPROM, or other electronic changes are necessary." From what I've read so far, which isn't much, a RRFPR works just as well in a turbo application as it does in a supercharged application. I might be wrong, most of you guys here know more than I do...

DustenT
12-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah I just read up on it, "The stock fuel injection system is used unchanged save for a DowningAtlanta-designed "downstream" fuel pressure regulator
that is boost sensitive. No chip, EPROM, or other electronic changes are necessary." From what I've read so far, which isn't much, a RRFPR works just as well in a turbo application as it does in a supercharged application. I might be wrong, most of you guys here know more than I do...

The RRFPR is a poor-man's tuning method. It's not a very precise method of tuning, but it does work.

hhspunter
12-19-2006, 11:45 PM
The RRFPR is a poor-man's tuning method. It's not a very precise method of tuning, but it does work.
Sounds like that's what I'm looking for then. I can always go back and do a tune farther down the road. $1500 for Nick G is more than I can afford. Thanks for the help.

hhspunter
12-19-2006, 11:57 PM
This project is looking feasible. In the planning stages, it looks like the hardest part is going to be the plumbing. Which, to me at least, is a good thing. It'll be a pain in the butt, but so far it looks like it's going to work. I'm excited.

DustenT
12-20-2006, 12:22 AM
One thing to keep in mind....

The RRFPR might not be able to keep up with the "hit" of the turbo. You might run lean right when you hit boost. You'll be able to tell with a wideband oxygen sensor.

hhspunter
12-20-2006, 02:10 AM
One thing to keep in mind....

The RRFPR might not be able to keep up with the "hit" of the turbo. You might run lean right when you hit boost. You'll be able to tell with a wideband oxygen sensor.
I just read this on Bell Engineering's website (as in Corky Bell):
"Even the onset of gain is adjustable! No other regulator provides the onset adjustment."

hhspunter
12-27-2006, 11:00 PM
got some goodies today... i'll post pics really soon.

hhspunter
12-27-2006, 11:13 PM
So yeah i paid $100 plus $40 for shipping from canada to FL, and i got a blow-off valve too, when all i ordered was the manifold. and if you can read that note, more stuff is on the way... i know a gt3076 is a pretty nice turbo from garrett, and i'm not sure what's in the accessories kit, i'll wait a few days for a tracking number before i get my hopes up, but i already got more than i was expecting, so i'm a happy camper.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/hhspunter/12_27_06_1704.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/hhspunter/12_27_06_1639.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/hhspunter/12_27_06_1642.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/hhspunter/12_27_06_1641.jpg

hhspunter
12-27-2006, 11:48 PM
okay well i just called my dad and my confusion is cleared up... my dad ordered a turbo without telling me... which still isn't too shabby

DustenT
12-28-2006, 12:24 AM
okay well i just called my dad and my confusion is cleared up... my dad ordered a turbo without telling me... which still isn't too shabby

You are going to chop and weld the I6 manifold? There are a couple companies that make really nice 4 cylinder manifolds.

hhspunter
12-28-2006, 12:42 AM
the only one i know of is neukin, their's is $600... who else makes one?

Variance
12-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Punter, you won't be able to use that blow-off valve for your system. Since you're sticking with the MAF, you need one that cycles the air back into the intake system, rather than one that vents to the atmosphere.

DustenT
12-28-2006, 04:47 AM
the only one i know of is neukin, their's is $600... who else makes one?

I think 666 is making one too.

hhspunter
12-28-2006, 05:34 PM
I think 666 is making one too.

I just found the 666 manifold, it's for the M42, but the bolt pattern and ports are the same, right? I like it it's really nice. Top mount, which might have clearance problems...actually I just looked at another picture and it looks like the top of the turbo is lower than the top of the valve cover... and the placement of the turbo is really good for easy intercooling... I like that a lot. Thanks Dusten

http://www.666fabrication.com/products.html

Broke Drift
01-24-2007, 06:50 AM
if u ever get tuning done for the turbo lemme know. i need tuning for my car badly