PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE: Front side engine oil leak

tol4o
12-21-2006, 04:10 AM
I lifted my car today and I found out an oil leak in the front of the engine. It looks like the leak comes from the front crankshaft oil seal #3 on the picture. I am wondering if any of you have ever replaced that seal and how hard is it. Any advice where I can buy this seal?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=11_2685&hg=11&fg=10

tol4o
12-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Nobody has seen this before? Am I the first person with this problem?

tol4o
12-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Bump

michaelhofastcar
12-22-2006, 08:36 PM
My engine also has oil leak. If it is minor, leave it alone.

boots
12-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi. I have the same leak. I have not had the problem diagnosed yet (no time) but I did talk to a BMW mechanic at the shop where I will likely have the leak repaired. He said a leak like that has two possible sources, the oil pan (seal) or a valve which is located above and behind the engine. Neither is a quick fix but the former is preferrable to the latter. He said the oil pan seal is a two hour job while the valve is a six hour job (for a mechanic with the proper equipment). If it's a valve, the tranny and clutch have to come out to get to the leak.

What he is going to do, as soon as I have the time, is pour a dye solution into the engine which, after I drive around for a while, will circulate, leak out, and will tell him where the leak is orignating from. I'd be happy to let you know what I find out but it won't be for a couple of weeks as I'm about to leave town for a vacation. I'll deal with the car when I get back.

tol4o
12-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Thank for the information. I'll wait to see what is gonna be so I can check mine too